Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Healthy Crockpot Recipes

Posted by dawna (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 07 at 15:41

I am getting back to my program of eating right and working out. Some of my gym classes are in the evening and run until 7 PM. I sure would like to come home to a meal that is ready for me so that I don't have to spend even more time cooking. I am looking for some great, healthy crockpot recipes.

Thank you so much in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Healthy Crockpot Recipes

Here's a good and easy one too.
Crockpot chicken:
Make 4 tennis sized balls of foil and put in the bottom of the crockpot. Remove the gizzard, livers, etc, from a whole chicken cavity. Rinse and sprinkle cavity with 1 tsp of seasoned salt. Stuff with half of a lemon. Put in crockpot, sprinkle with the other half of lemon juice and sprinkle over chicken with seasoned salt and a little pepper. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours on low. Will be falling apart tender and the juice is great over the chicken. Can be thickened and used as gravy if desired.
RL`

o

Sorry, I don't think there is such a thing. Meats that are really lean don't do well with long cooking. they get tough and stringy. the high fat cuts like pork choulder and beef chuck are better because of the fat content.
It really takes almost no time to quickly sautee a split chicken breast or a piece of fish, or to quickly grill a skinny cut of lean steak or pork.
Take the time you would spend putting stuff into the crock pot in splitting a chicken breast horizonatlly so it will cook in about 6 or 7 minutes, or putting a small beef steak to marinate in the morning and heat up a pan when you get home.....and sautee quickly.
Serve with a tossed salad and a micro wave cooked potato and you have a good dinner in about 15 minutes.
Linda C

o

I totally disagree. Roselin's recipe is great. Plus you're not heating the whole kitchen by using the oven. Check below for a ton of categories for crockpot recipes (make sure to go all the way to the bottom.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crockpot

o

Dawn, it is my experience that most people don't want a big meal especially right after working out. I think that the last thing I would want after a workout in the gym , after 7:00 is something "stewed" or braised in a crock pot. I'd be more tempted to do as Linda suggested and grill something quickly. like a chicken breast, or a steak or even a pork chop. Pork tenderloin also cooks very quickly in the oven or on the grill. You could have a chicken breast cut up and on a skewer to grill for chicken souvlaki and serve it with a greek salad. By the time you had the salad ready the chicken would be cooked.

Ann

o

Thank you Ginger for sharing that link. I'm in need of crock pot recipes just for the simple fact that as a busy family of 5..a hot meal in about 5 minutes from opening the door is what is wanted here. I too love to grill a steak or saute stuff..but a crock pot meal can just make it all so much easier on me!
First recipe I'm trying is a Broccoli Beef..Usually I just saute it all up..but 30 minutes versus, hot and ready to go..I'll take it!

o

Let us know which ones worked for you, Terri.

The OP asked for healthy crockpot recipes. I'm sure she knows about grilling a steak.

o

Crockpots are great for beans, and beans are sure good for you! I think a lot depends on when you want to do your "fussing." If you use a slow cooker, you'll "fuss" in the morning. If you grill or saute, you'll fuss" a bit when you get home.

The one good thing about most crockpot meals, is that you'll end up with enough food for leftovers and that will make a couple of future meals really, really simple. During the summer I've cooked whole chickens & huge chuck roasts in my slow cooker because I didn't want to heat up the kitchen and I don't have an outdoor grill. Then I used the leftover meat for sandwiches at lunch.

But quickly sauteing a pork chop or chicken breast is super speedy and gives you a whole different texture from braised foods.

Thanks for the link, Ginger. It'll be fun looking at all the offerings. One of the recipes I glanced at featured alligator, however. I WON'T be trying that!!

o

I'm another one that likes using my crockpot even in the summer months and used it a lot when I was working.Will have to find some of the other recipes I made.

o

Aw, c'mon, Shambo. I bet you could mail order some alligator to try. :)

o

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback and ideas. Yeah, I know that grilling some chicken would be the healthiest idea. However, my problem is that I just don't want to cook when I get home from class. And, my BF usually comes over for dinner and I spend more time cooking then visiting. I will check out the link and do my best! Thanks again!

o

Fragrant Lemon Chicken

Yield: 6 servings.

INGREDIENTS:

1 apple - peeled, cored and quartered
1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped
1 (3 pound) whole chicken
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup hot water

DIRECTIONS:

Rub salt and pepper into the skin of the chicken, and then place apple and celery inside the chicken. Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle chopped onion, rosemary, and lemon juice and zest over chicken. Pour 1 cup hot water into the slow cooker.
Cover, and cook on High for 1 hour. Switch to Low, and cook for 6 to 8 hours, basting several times.

SOFT CHICKEN TACOS

1 3-4 lb chicken, cut up and skin removed (I've also used chicken breasts to lighten things up a bit)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 4 oz can green chiles
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 T. chili powder
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. garlic powder
10 flour tortillas (8 inch) shredded cheddar cheese
salsa
shredded lettuce
chopped tomato
sour cream

Place chicken in 3 qt slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, chiles, onion, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours until chicken is tender and juices from chicken are clear.

Remove the chicken. Shred meat with 2 forks, discard bones. Return meat to slow cooker and heat through. Spoon chicken down center of each tortilla, top with desired toppings.

I love this recipe because it's so different than the meals I usually make with my crock pot!

o

I have a few crockpot recipes that I enjoy but I'm trying to select a few that I think may seem "healthier" than others!

Posted by: rider (My Page) on Tue, Oct 28, 03 at 9:18

Turkey breast. I throw mine in with chicken broth, some butter, olive oil, spices, carrots, celery. Black beans sometimes. Despite the disaster with rice in my last episode, the meat comes out great. Like Annie, I shred it for burritos, etc.

Chicken Cacciatore (crockpot) #30569

by dallice (see my other recipes) posted on Jun 8, 2002
(4 reviews)

My husband loves chicken cacciatore, I did not. Not until I came up with this recipe. Quick and easy, and the crock pot is very convenient. The leftovers are great too!

7-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 (15.00 ounces) can diced peeled tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 (14.50 ounces) can tomato sauce
2 (2.25 ounces) cans mushrooms, stems & pieces
1 can sliced olives
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons italian seasoning
1 tablespoon sugar

1. Clean any unwanted fat from chicken pieces.
2. Add all ingredients to crock pot, mix well, making sure chicken is covered.
3. Cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours.
4. Serve over pasta, or for a delicious change try mashed potatoes.
5. Add a green salad.
6. It's dinner!

CROCK POT BEANS

Posted by: Kevin_S (My Page) on Mon, Apr 28, 03 at 21:27

Woodie, no real recipe.

Dried beans of your choice, soaked overnight; cranberry, lima-yummmmm, marrow, great northern, pinto, ect.
An onion, chopped,
A rounded tablespoon of bacon fat or Crisco,
Some sea salt and some fresh ground pepper.
Dump it all in a crock pot with enough water (spring) to more than cover beans.....set on low.

No need for ham or anything unless you want some in there. Takes an hour or two to come up to heat....best if cooked 5 or 6 hours.

o

Dawna, you can subscribe here to Slow Cooker Recipes. They'll email you a slow cooker recipe every couple of days. Not all of them are gems, mind you, but some of them are not too bad! Expands the repertoire a bit, anyway! :)

Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here