Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

LOOKING for: Green Beans

roselin32
13 years ago

Do you have any new ideas for cooking green beans? I made them the other night with salsa and they were good but the garden will be coming along before long and I need some new ideas.

Comments (12)

• jessyf
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a treasured one I got from a seed catalogue long ago.

Mandalay Green Beans

Ingredients
    1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    2 tsp jalapeno, seeded and minced
    2 tsp freshly grated ginger
    1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
    1/2 orange, zest of
    2/3 cup fresh orange juice
    1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp whole grain mustard
    1 salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans
    and cook only until tender crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain beans
    and plunge immediately into ice water to stop cooking action. Drain
    and cut into 1" pieces.

In a large skillet, heat oil. Add garlic, jalapeno and ginger and
    saute, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add cumin seed and cook 1 minute
    longer. Stir in orange zest, orange and lemon juices and mustard. Add
    beans and stir until just heated through. Salt and pepper.

Recipe developed by Renee Shepherd and Fran Raboff. From 1996 "Shepherd's Garden Seeds" catalog. Pg. 6. Electronic format by Cathy Harned.

Servings: 4 servings

• graanieb
    13 years ago

Have you had cooked green beans poured over pasta/tomato sauce, sprinkled with Parmesan?

Or a bean (with potato or other vegetables or pasta) salad? With your favorite dressing?

Or a simple way of boiled potatoes and beans, drained, seasoned with a bit of sea salt, olive oil , crushed garlic or garlic powder? Very good with lightly toasted bread or buns, if you like.

My 12 year old grandson likes it this way, only greens he will eat, so far.

Bea

• annova914
    13 years ago

These beans are a family favorite & great for company. I just quarter the mushrooms as I like them that way.

Green Beans with Mushrooms and Scallions

2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed
    3 bunches scallions
    2 Tbsps butter
    2 Tbsps olive oil
    lb large mushrooms, quartered or sliced
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Cook green beans for 6 minutes - do not let them get soggy.

Lightly saute mushrooms & scallions in butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Drain beans. Toss all ingredients together with lemon juice. Serve immediately.

Don't forget the fresh lemon juice - it really makes the dish special (one time we forgot and we could tell the difference!).

Ann

• roselin32
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These all sound good and I have printed them off. Thanks.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    13 years ago

Here's a recipe for marinated green beans posted by Linda C a few years back on the cooking forum. I really love them. I always include dill, and have never done the eggs/bacon only because they taste great without them and I'm too lazy.

"make a dressing...
    a clove of crushed garlic,
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
    2 T finely chopped red onion
    2 teaspoons mixed fresh herbs ( dill weed, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, thyme....pick 3.)
    Wash and stem and tail a pound of small fresh green beans . Bring about 1 1/2 qts water to a boil and dump in the beans. Leave for 3 minures, drain and plunge the beans into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.
    Toss with the dressing and chill for 2 hours. Serve with a topping of sieved hard cooked egg and crumbled bacon.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Here's another I copied from someplace. It might have come from someone on this forum, and if so I'm sorry I did not save the credit. I have not yet tried this, but hope to make it when my beans are ready this year.

GREEK GREEN BEANS

"This is a traditional dish of Greek tavernas, served with platters of olives before the entrée. The dish will make a tasty, and healthful, addition to your appetizer offerings.

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 pound green beans, trimmed
    One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with juice
    2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley (see Tip)
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute. Stir in the beans, tomatoes with juice, and parsley.

When the liquid begins to simmer, reduce the heat to low; cover and cook until the beans are very tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Use tongs for serving and provide plates and forks for your guests.
    The beans will keep for up to 4 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving."
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Also, on the cooking forum, AnnT has a recipe for a vegetarian Greek green bean and potato stew with tomatoes and feta that is out of this world. I don't have the recipe on my computer but you can probably ask her to post it for you.

seagrass

• paprikash
    13 years ago

These are fabulous:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hungarian Green Beans

Recipe By : Andrea
    Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup butter
    1 medium onion -- finely chopped
    2 teaspoons mild Hungarian paprika
    1 pound fresh green beans --(1-1/2" slices)
    2/3 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon flour

Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onion until golden.

Sprinkle paprika over the onion and stir to mix well. Watch carefully because paprika burns easily. Add the green beans and stir until all the pieces are coated with paprika. Add water and salt. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan tightly and simmer for 20 minutes or until the beans are tender.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and flour until mixture is smooth. Take off heat, stir the sour cream into beans and simmer, uncovered, for five minutes or so.

Notes: I usually use more sour cream and, if I have it, fresh dill is wonderful in this. Sometimes I add a little dab of tomato paste fried with the onion, too. The sauce is so good, you'll want to have fresh bread to sop it all up.

• woodie
    13 years ago

I am not a big green bean fan but I do enjoy them in these recipes.

Roasted Green Beans with Garlic
    From Marilyn from Fine Cooking
    1½ pound fresh green beans
    1 small head garlic
    ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt 4
    Fresh ground pepper to taste
    1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
    ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Wash, trim and dry green beans. Position oven rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 450° (425° is using dark pan) and place a baking sheet in the oven. Peel each garlic clove and cut each into 4 pieces. Place green beans in a large bowl along with garlic, oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat evenly and pour onto hot baking sheet in a single layer. Roast beans for 10 minutes, stir and continue to roast another 5 minutes if beans are slim and another 10 minutes if beans are thick. Remove to serving dish and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan cheese

Gardenlad's Green Beans with Poppy Seed Dressing

1 1/2 lbs green beans, tipped, tailed, and stringed if necessary.
    2 tsp poppy seeds
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbls white wine vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 tsp honey
    2 tbls minced shallot
    Salt & pepper to taste.

Lightly steam beans until just tender. Set aside.
    Heat small skillet over medium low heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
    Add the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot, salt & pepper to the poppy seeds. Whisk until well blended.
    Warm dressing in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and toss to coat. Cook until beans are warmed through.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

My 44 year old son never liked green beans until I used this recipe:

Lemon pepper green beans

1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed 2 tablespoons butter 1/4 cup sliced almonds 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
    Directions
    Place green beans in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover, and cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes; drain.
    Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute almonds until lightly browned. Season with lemon pepper. Stir in green beans, and toss to coat.

• User
    13 years ago

Crispy Parmesan Ranch Crusted Green Beans

¾ Cup prepared Ranch Dressing (I used Kraft Light Done Right brand)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 ½ Cups panko bread crumbs (I used regular bread crumbs - didn't have the fancy kind)
    ½ Cup grated parmesan cheese
    ¼ teaspoon salt (left it out)
    ¼ teaspoon pepper
    ½ lb washed and trimmed fresh green beans

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine ranch dressing and egg together in a shallow dish. Combine bread crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper in a separate shallow dish. Lightly dip beans into ranch dressing. Press into crumb mixture then place onto a parchment lined baking sheet (theyll stick to the pan if not, even if sprayed with cooking spray). Do this process until all beans have been coated. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is crispy and golden. Let cool for 3 minutes then serve.

• tobygirl
    13 years ago

I have made this dish many times, but not in a few years.

GREEN BEANS WITH SOUR CREAM

1-1/2 lbs. green beans, trimmed, cut in 1-1/2 inch pcs.
    1 small onion, chopped fine
    2 Tbls. chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tbls. butter
    1 Tbls. flour
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. vinegar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. dry dill weed or 1 Tbls. fresh chopped (or to taste)
    1 cup sour cream

Cook beans in a little salted water until just tender; drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Saute onions and parsley in butter. Stir in flour, add bean liquid and cook until smooth, stirring constantly. Add sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and dill; add drained beans and stir to combine, then add sour cream; heat gently.

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

Here are some of my favorite green bean recipes.

Green Beans and New Potatoes

1 to 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans
    1 ½ to 2 pounds potatoes, whole new red and/or white potatoes are best
    3-4 stripes bacon
    ½ of a large sweet yellow onion, chopped
    3-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 quart or so of broth or water, I use low-salt chicken broth
    Fresh dill
    Salt & Pepper

Chop up bacon and fry it up in a large sauce pan till all the fat is rendered out. Add the onion to the fat and cook until it is translucent and then add the garlic and potatoes. Sauté up this mixture turning constantly for about 10 minutes or so, or until the potatoes start to brown. Then lightly salt and pepper the potatoes and turn down the heat and continue cooking till almost tender. Then add the broth or water to just cover the potatoes, and then add the green beans on TOP of the potatoes. Do not mix them in with the potatoes and broth since they are going to steam. Top with some dill and a little salt and pepper. Cover tightly and bring the broth to a boil and cook until the green beans are crispy tender. If needed add another handful of fresh dill before serving.

GREEN BEANS WITH BLUE CHEESE & NUTS

1 pound green beans
    4 thick bacons slices cut into ¼ inch pieces
    4 ounces blue cheese
    1 cup of Walnuts (any nut would do just fine)
    ½ medium sweet onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    Pepper, freshly ground to taste
    Salt to taste

Place green beans in boiling salted water and cook 3 minutes, until they are crisp tender. Drain; rinse with cold water and set aside. Brown bacon then add onion and sauté until they are tender then add garlic (dont let it burn). Then add the green beans along with the blue cheese and the nuts. Continue cooking about 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper.

Green Beans With Caramelized Onions And Almonds
    -posted by chase

Kosher salt
    3 Lb green beans trimmed of stem end
    1/2 Cup sliced almonds
    3 Tbl unsalted butter
    5 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
    2 large onions sliced thin
    2 Tbl chopped fresh thyme leaves
    Freshly ground black pepper

Fill a large high sided skillet with some water, adding enough to be just shy of the rim of the pan by about 1 inch. Place over high heat and bring up to boil; add a big pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook for about 5 minutes, the beans should still be crisp. Drain the beans and then run them under some cold water to stop them from cooking. Reserve the beans while you start the onions.
    Return the skillet you cooked the beans in to the cook top over medium heat. Add the almonds and toast stirring every now and then until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the almonds from the skillet and reserve.
    Return the skillet to the heat and add the butter and olive oil and heat until the butter has melted. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook stirring frequently until the onions caramelize, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the thyme, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cooked cooled green beans and almonds, and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

GREEN BEANS WITH FRESH HERBS

4 tablespoons olive oil, butter, or a mix of these
    ¼ cup freshly chopped onion
    2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic
    ¼ cup finely chopped celery
    ¼ cup fresh basil, chiffonade
    ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
    1/8 cup fresh French tarragon, torn (can substitute Mexican Marigold Mint)
    1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
    Salt to taste
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 pound fresh green beans, snapped and blanched

Sauté onion and celery until tender, then add the garlic, the herbs, salt and pepper and sauté a few more minutes. Gently stir in the beans and continue cooking. (I like my beans crisp for a better flavor and color, but you can cook them to your liking.) If needed, you can add more salt and pepper before serving. Fresh parsley can be added as a garnish.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More great sounding recipes.......the Greek green beans sound especially good. Thanks to all who shared.