Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smith316

RECIPE: Squash recipes???

smith316
13 years ago

Hi, I am looking for squash recipes, the only ones I have now are for frying squash and a squash casserole. In the summer when we have lots of squash from the garden I would like to know of some different ways to fix it.

Thanks

smith316

http://www.smithlane.wordpress.com

Comments (12)

• roselin32
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I often chop it and drizzle with olive oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning, then roast at 400 for about 15 minutes.
    I also make this casserole often:
    Vicki's Yellow Squash

8c yellow squash, cubed
    1c cottage cheese
    2T flour
    1 tsp chicken boullion granules
    2 eggs
    1c shredded cheddar cheese,
    3T crisp bacon or real bacon bits
    Mix all ingredients . Pour into a greased casserole, and bake at 350° for 1 hour or til set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Sausage Stuffed Summer Squash
    3 sm.yellow squash
    olive oil
    salt and pepper
    3 gourmet sausage links
    1/4 C. diced onion
    1/4 C. diced celery
    1/2 Tbs. crushed garlic
    salt and pepper
    1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
    3 day old hamburger buns
    1 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and de-stem 3 small yellow squash. Slice diagonally, remove seeds, and place on cookie sheet,. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and bake 20-25 minutes. When done, allow to cool. Meanwhile, add 1 Tbs. olive oil to skillet. Remove sausage from casings and crumble into skillet. Sauté with onion and celery, garlic, salt, pepper and parsley. Allow to cool a little, then add 1/2 cup cheese and 3-day-old hamburger buns, torn into pieces. When ready, stuff squashes with stuffing, top with more shredded cheddar cheese, and bake in oven for an additional 15-20 minutes.

• woodie
    13 years ago

This is a simple and good one from Jain -

Zucchini Toss (Jain)
    The zucchini is grated, and i have to say its one of my favorite dishes. Steam 3-4 whole zucchini and grate, mix with the juice and zest from 2 lemons, garlic, s&p, olive oil, parmesan, pine nuts and a fist full of cut up basil and toss.

An old fashioned favorite of mine from the 70's - I still like it!

Impossible Zucchini-Tomato Pie

2 cups chopped zucchini
    1 cup chopped fresh tomato
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 cups milk
    3/4 cup Bisquick
    3 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 tablespoon pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Grease a 10-inch quiche dish or pie plate. Sprinkle zucchini, tomato, onion and cheese into plate.
    Beat remaining ingredients until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high, or 1 minute with hand beater. Pour into plate. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean - about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
    Yield: 6 servings

• paprikash
    13 years ago

I haven't tried this recipe yet (found it on the internet), but I plan to make it sometime very soon. My mother used to make something similar to this but I thought she used vinegar not lemon. Anyway, I plan to try it as written the first time - then revise, if necessary.

Mary Kisss Creamed Dilly Zucchini

- serves 4 as a side dish, or 2 as a main course atop noodles or spaetzle -

Ingredients
    2 to 3 medium zucchini
    1 tablespoon free-pouring (not sea) salt
    1/2 cup fresh chopped dill
    1 smallish onion, diced
    1/2 stick butter
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon mild Hungarian paprika
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons flour

Procedure
    1. Peel zucchini, then shred on the large holes of a box grater. Place in a colander set over a plate, salt, and let rest 20-30 minutes. Squeeze out liquid as thoroughly as possible.

2. Melt butter in a medium sauté pan, add onion, and cook until translucent. Add paprika, and remove from heat for a moment. (This is supposed to prevent bitterness. I have no idea whether its true; I just do what Mary tells me.)

3. Add zucchini, lemon, sugar, and dill to the pan. Cover and cook over medium low heat for five minutes.

4. Mix flour and sour cream. Add to zucchini. Cook, covered, over a low flame for 10 minutes. After its done, I like to stir in an additional pinch of paprika.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

I love squash croquettes!

• User
    13 years ago

I've been collecting them lately, here are some you can try. I had more but accidentally deleted them :^(

Zucchini with Lemony Crumbs

Serves 4
    Active time: 20 minutes
    Start to finish: 40 minutes

2 lb zucchini, coarsely grated
    3/4 stick unsalted butter, divided
    1 1/2 cups coarse breadcrumbs (from day old baguette)
    1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
    1 tsp chopped thyme
    2 garlic cloves, minced

Toss zucchini with 3/4 tsp salt in a colander set over a bowl and let drain 20 minutes. Squeeze handfuls of zucchini in a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture. Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, then cook breadcrumbs, zest, thyme and 1/8 tsp salt, stirring until crumbs are golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and wipe out skillet, then cook garlic in remaining 3 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add zucchini and sauté until softened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve zucchini topped with breadcrumbs.

Grilled Zucchini Pepper Salad

Serves 4
    Active time: 20 minutes
    Start to finish: 1 hour

1 1/2 lb zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices
    2 red bell peppers, quartered
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
    2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp packed light brown sugar
    2 Tbsp chopped basil

Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas) or heat a 2-burner grill pan over medium heat until hot. Toss vegetables with 2 Tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes total. If using grill pan, grill in batches, 10 to 15 minutes per batch. Transfer peppers to a bowl and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Peel peppers and cut into 1-inch pieces. Cut zucchini crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper and remaining 2 Tbsp oil in a large bowl. Stir in vegetables and basil. Let stand 15 minutes for flavors to blend.

Zucchini Lime Slushee

Makes 4 drinks
    Active time: 10 minutes
    Start to finish: 10 minutes

2 medium zucchini, chopped
    1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    3 cups ice cubes
    zucchini slices for garnish
    Purée zucchini with sugar, lime juice, and 1/8 tsp salt in a blender. Add ice and blend until ice is finely crushed. Serve in 10-oz glasses.

Zucchini Whoopie Pies

Makes 12 (dessert)
    Active time: 30 minutes
    Start to finish: 1 hour

FOR CAKES:
    2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (10 ounces)
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 stick unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 cup walnuts (4 ounces), chopped

FOR FILLING:
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt

MAKE CAKES:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Butter 2 large baking sheets.
    2. Squeeze handfuls of zucchini wrapped in a kitchen towel to remove moisture.
    3. Whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt until combined. Whisk together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl
    4. Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and beat until combined well.
    5. At low speed, mix in flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until smooth. Mix in zucchini and walnuts until just incorporated.
    6. Spoon 1/4 mounds of batter 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake, switching positions of sheets halfway through, until tops are puffed and golden and spring back when touched,18 to 22 minutes. Transfer with a spatula to a rack to cool completely.

MAKE FILLING:
    1. Beat together cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.

ASSEMBLE PIES:
    1. Spread a rounded 2 Tbsp filling on flat sides of half of cakes and top with remaining cakes.

Note: Whoopie pies keep, chilled in an airtight container, 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.

ZUCCHINI BROWNIES TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling: 1 cup butter, softened 1\-1/2 cups sugar 2 eggs 1/2 cup plain yogurt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2\-1/2 cups all\-purpose flour 1/4 cup baking cocoa 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups shredded zucchini FROSTING: 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in zucchini. Pour into a greased 13\-in. x 9\-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35\-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and peanut butter. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Spread over warm brownies. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: about 1\-1/2 dozen. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Zucchini-Brownies?pmcode=SL981VH05M&_mid=236200&_rid=236200.220100.28120 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zucchini Bread 3 eggs 3/4 C vegetable oil 2 C sugar 2 tsp vanilla 2 C shredded zucchini (1 \- 2 good size ones) 1 \- 8\-oz can crushed pineapple, drained 3 C all\-purpose flour 2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp baking powder 3/4 tsp nutmeg 1 C chopped nuts 1 C raisins Mix first 6 ingredients together. Sift together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and nutmeg (if youre using nutmeg). Add remaining ingredients. Mix all together. Baking options: Pour into two 4? X 8? well\-greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for an hour. Or Pour into four to six well greased mini loaf pans and bake at 350 for about thirty minutes, or until centers are no longer soft.
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of nice flavor combo's using zucchini:

Zuchinni & Fennel saute

Slice several medium-sized zucchini thick on the diagonal
    Cut a bulb of fresh fennel into wedges about the same size as the zuchinni

Use a large skillet on medium heat - drizzle with olive oil
    Add equal amounts of zucchini and fennel slices in one layer - salt/pepper and cook until soft and lightly browned on both sides. Set aside cooked vegetables on a platter while you cook the rest. Sometimes I put the platter in a low oven to keep warm. Can sprinkle with parmesan cheese, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over just before serving. The zuccini and fennel have a nice marriage of flavors.

----------------------------------------------------------

Summer Squash Saute

Slice a medium zucchini and yellow summer squash
    Chop a large sweet red bell pepper
    Chop a small red oinon
    Slice an 8 oz. pkg white mushrooms

Saute in a large skillet with olive oil. Season with salt/pepper and a sprinkle of herbs de Provence.

seagrass

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I had misplaced this simple recipe and had to find it to post. Lots of my family members have used it for years.

Zucchini Delicious

3 slices chopped bacon
    1 cup chopped onions
    3-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper

Fry bacon slightly, add onions and cook until golden. Addd remaining ingredients and cook covered until tender and most of the sauce is absorbed.

This is an old recipe and says to cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. To me it's too mushy cooked that long. Only you can be the judge of how long you want your squash cooked.

• roselin32
    13 years ago

This is one I often make when the zucchini starts to multiply in the summer......we even like it cold:
    Zucchini Casserole
    3c shredded zucchini
    1c Bisquick
    1/2c minced onion
    1clove minced garlic
    1/3c veg. oil
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1/2c Parmesan cheese
    2T parsley, minced
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    1/2tsp oregano
    dash pepper
    Mix all ingredients...pour into a 9x13" sprayed baking dish
    and bake until brown and set about 45 minutes at 350°.

• annova914
    13 years ago

I just made the Zucchini and Fennel Saute for dinner tonight. It is delicious! Since I had a 375 degree oven while roasting pork tenderloin, I sauted the vegetables and placed them on a sheet pan. Then I sprinkled grated parmigiano-reggiano all over them. Toward the end of the roasting time, I put the sheet pan in the oven for about 5 minutes. The cheese melted, I squirted fresh lemon juice all over the vegetables and we had a wonderful new side dish. Thanks, seagrass.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    13 years ago

Glad you liked it, annova914. I learned that saute in a cooking class a long time ago and it introduced me to fennel, which I had never tasted.

Here's another squash recipe I learned in the same class - for yellow summer squash:

Equal amounts of yellow summer squash and unpeeled red apple (I like Jonagold or Gala for this) - cut into similar sized pieces
    Half as much diced red onion - similar sized pieces

Saute squash, apple and onion in sweet butter until tender and season with fresh thyme, salt & pepper to taste.

This is a pretty combination, savory and sweet at the same time - also pairs very nicely with roasted pork. Fresh thyme makes it special.

seagrass

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Hearty Pork Stew with Squash
    Source: Penzeys One 2/09

1-1/2 lb boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and cubed
    (I used boneless chops)
    3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 c peeld parsnips, cubed
    1-1/2 c butternut squash, peeled & cubed
    4 c chicken broth
    1 T fresh sage or 1 tsp dried
    2 tsp fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp dried
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3 T flour
    3 T butter, softened

In 4-5 quart slow cooker, mix the pork and remaining ingredients except flour and butter. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours. OR... place in a covered pot in the oven at 350F for 2 hours.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour and butter. Gradually stir into stew until blended. Increase setting to high or return to oven. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally until thickened.
    6 servings

Butternut Squash Bisque 1T vegetable oil 1T butter 1/2c diced onion 3/4c diced carrot 4c peeled and cubed butternut squash 3c chicken broth Salt & pepper to taste 1/2c heavy cream Dash nutmeg Heat oil and butter in large pot over medium heat, add onion and cook until tender. Add carrots and squash to pot, pour in broth, add salt, pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender. Transfer to food processor and puree until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream. Heat through but do not boil. Serve warm with dash of nutmeg. Linda