Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowqueen_gw

RECIPE: Looking for do-ahead recipes for kids lunches

snowqueen
16 years ago

Hi

I'm looking for do-ahead recipes forlunches for this summer for the kids I babysit with an emphasis on healthy and quick. Or even just recipes your kids love and request time and again. I have one very picky eater who makes things difficult & i've about run out of fresh ideas. Thanks

Comments (2)

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

Check out the recipes found at the web site link below. I think you'll find lots of possibilities. Although the recipes are geared for children to help make, they are also kid choices.

Kids' Quesadillas
    Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
    (source: Just For Kids (sponsored by Birds Eye, Hershey's, French's, Oreo, and Lawry's)

Prepare the quesadillas ahead of time, cover and chill, and cook just before serving.

8 slices American cheese
    8 (10-inch) flour tortillas
    1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
    optional: 6 T. Honey Mustard or mayo
    2 T. melted butter
    1/4 t. paprika

1. To prepare 1 quesadilla, arrange 2 slices of cheese on 1 tortilla. Top with 1/4 of the turkey. Spread with mustard or mayo (optional), then top with another tortilla. Prepare 3 more quesadillas with remaining ingredients.

2. Combine butter and paprika. Brush one side of tortilla with butter mixture. Preheat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange tortilla butter side down and cook 2 minutes. Brush tortilla with butter mixture and turn over. Cook 1-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining three quesadillas. Slice into wedges before serving. Makes 4 servings.

(Fun note: If you have some small cookie cutters in fun shapes, cut a shape from the piece of cheese to add to the top of the quesadilla, on the second side, just before serving.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kids a Cookin

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I haven't found a kid (or an adult) that didn't like these easy Barbecue Cups:

Michelle's Meals on a Budget
    (featured column)

Barbecue Cups
    Copyright © 2001 by Michelle Jones, editor of BetterBudgeting.com

Like miniature pizzas, these barbecue cups are a definite kid's favorite. Made with refrigerator biscuits and bottled barbecue sauce, they're also easy to make!

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef, browned and drained

1/2 c. barbecue sauce [I use Kraft regular]

1 T. minced onion, optional

1 T. brown sugar

1 can refrigerator biscuits

3/4 c. grated Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Add barbecue sauce, onions and brown sugar to the browned and drained ground beef.

Press biscuits into greased muffin pan to form cups. Spoon beef mixture into the cups and top with grated cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.