Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

RECIPE: Looking for appetizer recipes

ruthieg__tx
15 years ago

beyond the normal stuff, chips and dips and things of that nature. I want some suggestions for some real meaty appetizers....and something a little different than your normal afternoon picnic thingy...Oh and not to foo fooish...lots of guys in attendance....I'm having a party...outdoors on the deck and screened porch...It will be late in the afternoon for happy hour and beyond...I will do the chips and stuff but I want some meaty appetizers so when people get home, they won't feel inclined to have to cook dinner...It will probably go beyond dinner but I don't want to serve a dinner per se...So what would you serve....They could even be entree type things that I could serve as an appetizer...

Comments (15)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

PICNIC SANDWICH
    1 lb loaf frozen bread dough
    4 oz thinly sliced cooked ham
    4 oz thinly sliced cotto salami
    4 oz thinly sliced pickle & pimiento loaf or other lunch meat
    8 oz ricotta cheese
    6 oz Provolone or Monterey Jack, shredded coarsely
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 egg beaten with 1 TBL water, optional
    Sesame seeds or poppy seeds, optional

Let the dough thaw to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350. Cut the meats into 1/4" wide strips. Mix the meats, cheeses, onion, chopped peppers & oregano.
    On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 10x14" rectangle. Place the dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread the filling over the center 1/3 of the dough. Bring the edges to the center & seal.
    Turn the dough seam side down. Make slits on top of the loaf. If desired, brush w/egg wash & sprinkle w/sesame or popy seeds. Place in oven immedately & bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a rack to ensure a crispy bottom.~~Great Beginnings, Grand Finales

PESTO ROUNDS WITH STEAK OR SHRIMP (serves 20-25)
    1/2 cup pesto
    2 TBL grated Parmesan
    1 French bread baguette, sliced
    1 lb shrimp, cooked & peeled
    1 lb flank steak, grilled & sliced thinly to fit baguette

Combine pesto & cheese. Spread on 1 side of each bread slice. If making shrimp rounds, top each slice w/shrimp & broil for 2 minutes until lightly toasted. Serve immediately.
    If making steak rounds, broil bread & pesto mixture 2 minutes then top w/grilled flank steak. Serve warm or room temperature.~~Of Tide & Thyme

CHICKEN FLAUTAS (serves 24)
    2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
    1 cup shredded Cheddar
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
    2/3 cup picante sauce
    1/3 cup sliced green onions
    3/4 tsp cumin
    Vegetable oil for frying
    35 corn tortillas

Combine the chicken, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, picante sauce, green oinons & cumin in a bowl & mix well. Pour oil into a skillet to a depth of 1/2". Heat until hot but not smoking. Fry the tortillas in the hot oil for 3 seconds per side or until softened; drain. Spoon 1 1/2 TBL of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll to enclose the filling; secure with a toothpick. Arrange seam side down in a baking pan. Bake in a prehated 400° oven for 18-20 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm with additional picante sauce, sour cream and/or guacamole. May substitute cram meat for the chicken.~~Texas Ties

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Appetizers are my favourite thing thing but they can be a bit labour intensive. These recipes aren't too much work and much can be done ahead.

Some of my all time party favoutrites that are big hits timeand time again. Guarantee you will not be disappointed with any of them.

Louisiana Bbq Shrimp (Cindy) - This one cause a traffic jam around the dish.

1 1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp
    1 Stick butter ,melted (1/4 Pound)
    3 Tbl Worcestershire
    1/4 Tsp cayenne
    1/2 Tsp coarse salt
    1/4 Tsp fresh-ground pepper
    2 Tsp fresh thyme (or 1/2-teaspoon) Dried
    1 Tbl fresh rosemary Chopped
    1 Tbl olive oil

DEHEAD shrimp if necessary, but don't peel. Place in a shallow dish (I use a pie pan). Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over shrimp. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2-3 hours.
    BAKE in preheated 350 oven uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Serve with French bread to sop up all the wonderful juice.

Meatball Sliders Bon Appétit : September 2007 - the men love this one
    1/2 Lb ground beef
    1/2 Lb ground pork
    1/2 Lb ground veal
    1/2 Cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or regular breadcrumbs
    1/2 Cup water
    8 Tbl freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese divided
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    1/4 Cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tsp salt
    1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    2 Tbl olive oil
    1 Cup chopped onion
    6 garlic cloves
    chopped
    1/4 Cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
    1 1/2 Tsp fennel seeds ( I omit)
    1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
    1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
    Arugula leaves (optional)(I omit)
    18 small soft rolls split horizontally

Mix all meats, panko, 1/2 cup water,6 tablespoons cheese, egg, egg yolk,1/4 cup parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2teaspoon black pepper in large bowl.Form into eighteen 2-inch-meatballs.

Puree sauce in processor until almost smooth. Return to same skillet.Add meatballs. Cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, stirring occasionally,about 30 minutes longer.

DO AHEAD:Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.

Place arugula leaves on bottom of each roll, if desired. Top each with 1 meatball. Drizzle meatballs with some of sauce and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and 2 tablespoons. cheese. Cover with tops of rolls.

Stacked Pizza - This one is soooooo good!

7 sheets phyllo pastry
    1/2 Cup butter melted
    7 Tbl freshly grated parmesan
    1 1/2 Cup grated mozarella
    1 sweet onion sliced thinly And Separated Into Rings
    5-6 roma tomatoes sliced
    1 Tsp oregano

salt and pepper to taste ( I don't use any I find the parm salty enough and I forget about the pepper!!!)

fresh herbs sprigs thyme , oregano or rosemary

Preheat oven to 375. Follow package instructions to thaw phyllo. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on baking sheet, brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 TBSP of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat until all layers are used. Press down firmly so layers stick together. Sprinkle top sheet with mozzarella.
    Place onions on top then place tomatoes on top. Season with oregano. Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden, and the bottom is cooked. Decorate with fresh herbs and cut into squares (squares can be cut in half to make two bite triangles)

Notes: I slice the onions and then cut the circles in half to arrange on top. I also try and line the tomatoes up in a diagonal pattern, I don't place them randomly, and then when I cut it I cut the squares so each piece has 1 roma slice. I also don't measure anything anymore I just sprinkle the cheese. I use rosemary but I cut the leaves off the stems. I've often cooked it with the rosemary on it. I also line my baking sheet with parchment paper.

Stuffed Mushrooms - easy and my all time favourite

20 large white mushrooms
    1/3 Cup butter (maybe a bit more)
    4 or 5 green onions chopped fine
    2- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar
    1/3 Cup bread crumbs
    salt

Clean mushrooms and carefully remove stems. Chop stems finely (I use the food processor). Melt butter in a saute pan. Saute mushroom stems and onions over medium heat until soft but not browned and the stems have given up their juices. Mixture should be quite moist. Add the bread crumbs, only enough to absorb the liquid. Add the grated cheese and stir just until it has melted. Don't worry if the oil separates from the cheese. Stuff the mixture into the caps and sprinkle with a bit of salt (or you can salt after they come out of the oven...which is what I usually do).
    Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until the caps are nice and soft.

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

Here's my favorite for any time of the year. You can make the filling a day ahead (it's even better if you do) and put it together just before serving. If you do that, just make sure you have your oven on Broil before your guests arrive. Sorry - I don't remember its name.

1 zuchini, julienned
    1 pkg mushrooms, julienned
    butter - just enough to saute
    crackers
    a good white cheese for melting

Saute the vegetables. When ready to serve, top the crackers with about 2-3 tsp (more or less) of the vegetables, and place under broiler until the cheese melts.

I've estimated the amounts here, and I'm sorry I don't remember the exact measurements of butter and cheese, but it is very difficult to mess this one up. You can vary most of the ingredients. BTW, if some people don't like zuchini, don't worry - most people never guess what's in the recipe.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUTHIE!

Roast Beef Pinwheels

4 large slices medium-rare roast beef
    1/2 cup cream cheese
    1-2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, or to taste

Whip the cream cheese with a fork until soft.

Stir in the horseradish.

Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the slices of roast beef.

Starting at a narrow end, roll each slice tightly and wrap individually in plastic wrap.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

To finish the Pinwheels, unwrap the rolls and slice into 1/2 slices. Arrange them on a serving platter. Makes 36 to 48 appetizers.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Here are a few that have been successful for me.

Sloppy Joe Meatballs
    Source: Better Homes and Gardens
    Ingredients

1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    Dash bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Combine egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the onion, and the oregano in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground beef and mix well. Shape into 42 meatballs about 3/4-inch in diameter. Arrange in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain well.

2. Meanwhile, cook remaining 1/4 cup onion and the sweet pepper in hot oil in a large saucepan until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, black pepper, garlic salt, and if desired, hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes 21 servings.

Make-Ahead Tip: Carefully place drained meatballs in sauce. Place in shallow freezer containers. Cool slightly. Cover and freeze up to 1 month. To serve, thaw meatball mixture in refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Serve in a fondue pot, large warmed ceramic bowl, or crockery cooker. Or, to reheat in a crockery cooker, heat thawed meatballs and sauce, covered, on high heat for 2 to 2-1/2 hours

I think it was Craftyrn that posted this....it is awesome! Caesar Dip with Parmesan and Anchovies Source: Cooks Illustrated Makes 1 1/2 cups 1 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 ounce grated Parmesan cheese , (1/2 cup) 1 tablespoon lemon juice from 1 lemon 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves 2 medium cloves garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (about 2 teaspoons) 2 anchovy fillets , minced to paste (about 1 teaspoon) 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper Combine all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth and creamy. Transfer dip to serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until flavors are blended, at least 1 hour; serve cold with crudités. (Can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 2 days.) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vegetable Pizza 2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls 11oz cream cheese 3/4c mayonnaise 1/3 pkg dry ranch dressing mix 1tsp dill weed 1 tsp garlic powder Chopped fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, green onions, tomatoes, etc.) Bacon bits (optional) Sunflower seeds (optional) 1c grated cheese (cheddar, american or swiss) Press crescent roll dough into bottom and up sides of jelly roll pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool. Mix together cream cheese, Mayo, Ranch Dressing, Dill and Garlic until smooth. Spread over cooled crust. Chop vegetables into small pieces and sprinkle over pizza. Top with bacon bits, seeds and cheese. Refrigerate for several hours, then cut into squares and serve. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Then there are always the famous/fabulous wings! Buffalo Wings 2\-1/2 lb chicken wings, separated ½ c butter ½ c Louisiana Hot Sauce 2 6oz. pkg dry Italian dressing mix 2 T lemon juice ½ tsp dry basil Fry unbreaded wings in hot oil until meat is cooked and skin is crispy. Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan, stir in remaining ingredients. Toss cooked wings in sauce until coated. Place wings on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes at 350º Serve with Blue Cheese dressing and celery sticks Linda
  • aaressler
    15 years ago

Here are two of my favorites.

Portabello Mushrooms with Brie
    6 large portabello mushrooms
    3 Tbsp butter
    3 Tbsp sherry
    3 garlic clove
    18 oz brie cheese
    6 Tbsp pesto sauce

Lightly sauté mushrooms in butter, sherry and garlic over medium heat. Drain well on paper towels. Cut up brie into 12 pieces and place inside mushrooms. Add a 1/2 Tbsp of the pesto on top of each. Place under the broiler until cheese melts (usually less than 1 minute.) Serve immediately.

Makes 12 Servings

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
    1 pound fresh mushrooms
    7 to 8 ounces crabmeat (canned or fresh picked) NOT IMITATION!
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon ground savory
    ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon paprika

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    In a medium bowl, combine crabmeat (rinse if using canned), green onions, herbs, and pepper. Mix in mayonnaise and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until well combined. Refrigerate filling until ready for use.

Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Remove stems. Spoon out the gills and the base of the stem, making deep cups. Discard gills and stems. Fill the mushroom caps with rounded teaspoonfuls of filling, and place them in an ungreased shallow baking dish. Sprinkle tops with Parmesan and paprika.

Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve immediately.

Serves 6

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ladies...these are exactly the kind of recipes I was looking for...I have them all printed out to use...

• annova914
    15 years ago

Manly Meatballs

I love the name of this recipe! I found it at The Food Maven website and it reminded me of something my mom used to make years ago (she spread ground round on firm white bread and put it in the broiler--I was crazy about these flat burgers). This was written by Arthur Schwartz:

Alan Richman's Manly Meatballs
    Makes about 36
    Alan Richman is the esteemed and always witty food writer for Gentleman's Quarterly magazine, but I take the blame for calling these his "manly" meatballs. He made them for a birthday party of our mutual friend Alexis Bespaloff, the well-known wine writer. As he was passing them on a platter, taking full responsibility for their simplicity and strong flavor, he explained that he made them because when he heard the menu planned by Alex's wife he felt there might be too much "sissy food" -- you know, pasta and salads.
    They are not, of course, anything like any recipe you've ever seen for Swedish meatballs, but to my mind they make an even better stand-in. Baking them on bread slices -- which, by the way, do not burn or get too hard, even though it seems as if they would -- makes them perfect finger food.
    1 pound ground chuck (not leaner beef)

3 scallions, finely minced (use most of the green)

4 tablespoons dark soy sauce (or regular soy sauce, if that's all you have)
    1 firmly packed teaspoon brown sugar (a rounded teaspoon, if using regular soy sauce)

1 baguette or ficelle (a small diameter French bread), about 20 inches long, sliced about 1/2-inch thick (if the bread has a large diameter, cut the slices in half, just a bit bigger than the meatballs)

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients, except bread. With your hands, mix and knead thoroughly until the meat is a fine paste.
    Make balls the size of smallish walnuts.
    Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and place one meatball on each.
    Bake for 7 to 9 minutes in a preheated 450-degree oven until done to taste (Richman says "until just cooked through." I like them still rare.).
    Serve hot.
    source: www.thefoodmaven.com

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

STUFFED BANANA PEPPERS

12 large sweet banana peppers
    1 small tomato, finely chopped
    1/ 2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/ 4 cup finely chopped sweet pickle
    1/ 4 cup finely chopped green pepper
    2 small hot peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    12 slices bacon

Slit each banana pepper lengthwise and carefully remove seeds. Wash and set aside.

Combine next 8 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.

Stuff each banana pepper with cheese mixture. Wrap a bacon slice diagonally around each stuffed pepper, securing well with a wooden pick.

Place peppers on a well-greased rack in broiler pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

Serving suggestions: May be served with dill sauce, fresh tomato sauce or any sour cream sauce.

SPITFIRE SHRIMP

Seasoning:
    1 lime, juiced
    2 ounces (1/4 cup) hot cayenne pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon crab boil seasoning(Old Bay)

Shrimp:
    4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
    2 shallots, chopped
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
    2 pounds jumbo shrimp peeled and de-veined
    parsley or fresh chives, chopped, for garnish

Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.

Combine lime juice, hot sauce, cumin, red pepper flakes and seafood seasoning blend.

Quickly saute garlic and shallots in oil and butter for 1 minute, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes, tossing and turning frequently. Dump pink, firm, cooked shrimp from hot pan into hot seasoning blend and toss in seasoning mixture to coat shrimp evenly. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve warm or chilled.

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone...I think these are just what I was looking for to feed everyone. I appreciate that you all went to so much trouble...

• woodie
    15 years ago

There are some great hearty appetizer recipes here! I've had a few of them already and have been copying and saving like crazy - Ruthanna especially that spitfire shrimp - wow.

If you might be interested in a crock pot dip with some large corn chips, this one is good for the guys who don't want any foo foo!

NEW MEXICAN CHILE DIP
    from the kitchen of Jim Myers
    Makes about 3 quarts

2-3 pounds ground beef
    2 pounds Velveeta cheese cubed
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 - 28 ounce ounce can crushed tomatoes
    4 cloves garlic chopped
    2 - 4 ounce cans chopped green chiles
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons cumin

Brown ground beef with the onions and drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes. Transfer to crock pot to keep warm. Use large corn chips for dippers.

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

I'm making my Lemon Chicken Salad in mini pita pockets for a party this Sunday. Your regular recipe for chicken salad but with halved seedless grapes, lemon rind & fresh lemon juice & basil in it. I am also adding a piece of curly lettuce in the pita first for color.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Sooooooooooo Missy Ruthie, what did you make.
    Please show your menu, please!

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for all the recipes and suggestions. Our gettogether isn't for another week or so. I printed all the recipes and they all sound just like what I am looking for but I haven't yet decided which ones to use...but I will save and use them all this summmer...

Our friends are coming from Florida and we will be showing them the area and entertaining them here at home. We are having a neighborhood get-together and I don't want to make a meal, but I want everyone to go home full so they don't have to cook. The guys will eat anything but I wanted something "meaty" to fill them up so that they don't think they just had a few snacks....

• blizlady
    15 years ago

Great suggestions! I wish our cirle of family and friends would be willing to try different things. I seem to always provide, on request, the ususal layered taco dip with tortilla chips, spinach dip with crackers, dill dip with crudites, and that "California Onion Dip" that is a package of dried onion soup mixed in with sour cream! Classics, but I plan to try some of these other recipes for a change of pace.