Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778634

LOOKING for: Homemade Pizza sauce & Crust

User
13 years ago

Do you have a good recipe for pizza sauce? I usually just buy a jar of spaghitti sauce for my pizzas, but I want something that tastes better.

I also need a new thin pizza crust recipe, I've tried a few and I haven't found a good one yet.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Artisanal Pizza Dough posted by Becky

3 cups bread or all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 1/4 cups 2% low-fat milk
    2 tablespoons olive oil -- plus more for bowl

Whisk the flour, yeast and salt together in a large bowl, then pour in the milk and oil. Mix together with a large fork or your hands. Knead once or twice to form a ball. It may be sticky, but that's okay.

Oil a bowl and set the dough in it. Lay a sheet of waxed paper loosely over the top, then cover with plastic wrap. Place a clean dish towel over the bowl and allow to rise at room temperature and undisturbed for 24 hours. Turn the dough once in the bowl about 3 hours before you want to use it. The 24 hour fermentation process takes the place of kneading the dough.

When you are ready to make your pizza, divide the dough in half on a lightly floured board, then proceed with your pizza making. The dough can be frozen for up to a month; Thaw at room temperature before using.

Makes two 12"-14" pizza crusts

Source:
    ""Pizza on the Grill" by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer

Here is Weed's Pizza Sauce for Missouri-style pizza - which I now use as "my" pizza sauce for my homemade pizza - my style.

Weed's Missouri pizza thread:

1 16 oz. can whole tomatoes, diced fine
    6 oz. can tomato paste
    1 1/2 TB sugar
    1 t. crushed dried basil
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. dried thyme

Mix together, let sit, do not cook. Makes enough sauce for 4 pizzas.

• dinkans
    13 years ago

I have used this recipe for years. I mix it in my food processor. Now that our four kids are not at home, I half it and make one large pizza for the two of us (and guests). Note that it has no fat.

Pizza Crust

5 cups flour
    2 tablespoons (pks) instant yeast
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 3/4 cups warm water

In a food processor blend the dry ingredients together for a few seconds. While running pour the water into the dry mixture. Continue to run the processor until a soft ball of batter forms and rolls around the inside of the bowl. (If dough seems sticky, add a little additional flour and continue to run the processor.) Leave processor cover on and let dough rest/rise for 45 minutes.

Turn processor on and let dough be "punched down" for a minute or two. Remove ball of dough, divide in half, shape into balls and roll out on floured suface to fit pizza pans. Top with your favorite sauce*, cheese, meat, vegies and additional cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees. Serve hot! YUM!!

*I make my own sauce from a quart of home canned tomato sauce, a small can of tomato paste and a good couple shakes of oragano.

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Here's mine. The dough is America's Test Kitchens, Ann T.'s fresh sauce, and the pizza guys technique. It's really good. Don't let the directions intimidate you; I rewrote them in a ''Pizza Making for Dummies'' sort of way, so the recipe would be fool-proof. This is much requested around here and always a hit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazing Thin Crust Pizza

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I can vouch for Claire's (et al) recipe and method. It comes out perfect every time!

Linda

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found a good a sauce, here it is, its so easy.

EASY PIZZA SAUCE

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    1 cups water
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 Tablespoon dried oregano
    1/4 Tablespoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

1.Mix together the tomato paste, water, and olive oil. Mix well. Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Mix well and let stand several hours to let flavors blend. No cooking necessary, just spread on dough.
    (I cut down on the spices, an added a ts sugar. Simmer a bit if no time to sit)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County