1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
some pepper

Fry bacon and remove. Add sugar and flour to bacon grease. Stir in water, vinegar, and sweet pickle juice a little at a time. Pour in sauce pan and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil potatoes and let cool to lukewarm. Slice potatoes. Add celery seed and pepper to sauce before pouring over potatoes. Mix and let stand until ready to use. This is enough sauce for about 4 lbs. of potatoes.

Above sauce can also be stored and used for lettuce salad with hard boiled eggs and a little onion mixed together. Just heat and pour over.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: German Potato Salad

Thanks for posting this - it sounds a lot like a delicious salad I had at the home of a German woman last summer. Her potatoes were very coarsely shredded, however. I think I would like the slices better.

Do you know what kind of vinegar Olga uses?

seagrass

o

Hmmmmm - that seems like alot of sugar to me. Here's my recipe:

German Potato Salad

12 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 cup vinegar
dash of pepper
6 cups sliced cooked potatoes
4 hard cooked eggs, sliced

Cook bacon till crisp; drain and crumble, reserving 1/4 cup fat. Cook onion in fat till tender. Blend in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and dash pepper; add vinegar and 1 cup water; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Add bacon, potatoes and eggs; heat thoroughly, tossing occasionally.

I've made this recipe for years.....its really tasty.
Barb

o

Barb, your recipe is very close to what I have made for years. I don't always put the eggs in it. It's good either way.

Nancy

o

Here is a link to some German recipes, among which is a recipe for German Potato Salad.

Guess flavorings, such as sugar, is a matter of personal taste. Seems Americans like a whole lot of sweetner in some foods. Especially in Cole Slaw....one reason why I won't buy ready-made slaw from the deli. (It's always a disappiontment when I do.) I DO like 'just-a-touch" of sweetness in my salad dressings and French dressing....but not by the tablespoonsful!

Here is a link that might be useful: German Recipe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here