Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connie0751

LOOKING for: Kebob recipes & marinades

connie0751
16 years ago

ISO kebob recipes (especially shrimp) and marinades for the kebobs. I would prefer recipes that you have tried and would use again. TIA!

Comments (3)

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Here are two of my favourite tried and true kabob recipes.

Spicy Shrimp - Silver Palate

1 1/2 Lbs Shrimp
    2 TBSP Butter
    1 TBSP Olive Oil
    1 TBSP Garlic minced
    2 TBSP Shallot Minced
    Salt And Pepper To Taste
    2 TBSP Lemon Juice Or More To Taste
    2 TBSP Fresh Dill

Peel and devein shrimp.
    Heat butter and oil in a large skillet. Saute garlic and shallot without browning. Add shrimp and cook just until pink. Season with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice and dill, toss together well. Cover and chill 3 or 4 hours.

Serve as a first course or on the ends of skewers as an appetizer.

NOTE: To serve hot, marinate the raw shrimp in the marinade as described above for 1/2 hour. Thread on skewers alternating shrimp with lemon slices or just use the shrimp. Grill for about 2 minutes per side.

Here is a chicken kebob recipe we really like.

Chicken Tikka Kabobs

2 Lb chicken cut in 1 " cubes
    1 small onion diced
    3/4 Cup plain non fat yogurt
    2 clove garlic minced
    1 Tbsp ginger root, Grated
    2 Tsp chili powder
    2 Tsp corriander Ground
    1 Tsp cumin Ground
    1/2 Tsp salt
    2 lemons quartered

In food processor , process all ingredients except chicken and lemon to a chunky puree. Pour marinade over chicken and let sit , covered, for 8 hours. Thread chicken on skewers with a small pearl onion in between each slice. end with lemons. BBQ on well greased grill for 7 minutes turning often.
    NOTE: I often use chunks of sweet vidalias instead of pearl onions.

No exact recipe but I also make kebobs from pork tenderloin marinated in soy sauce, honey , sesame oil and garlic for several hours. To assemble the kebobs I alternate the pork chunks with pineapple chunks and green pepper chunks.

• danain
    16 years ago

Connie, I always do all meat and all vegetable kebabs since they take different cooking times. Here is my shrimp:

Grilled Shrimp

{{!gwi}}

Combine in a bowl;

1 1/2 pounds cleaned shrimp (large or small)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    2 cloves garlic; minced
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    a squeeze of lime or lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    dash fresh ground pepper

Allow to marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes but no more than 2 hours (if you over marinate it the lime juice will begin to "cook" the shrimp). If shrimp are large enough, place on skewers. If shrimp are small use a grill tray or fish rack. Pre-heat grill to very hot. Add shrimp mixture; cook until shrimp turn pink, two to four minutes. Do not over cook!

*This is wonderful served on top of risotto with roasted colored bell peppers and broccoli at the side.

**If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes before grilling.

marilyn

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

These work really well as kebobs:
    GARLIC LIME MARINATED SHRIMP (serves 6)
    3 lbs large shrimp, shelled & deveined, tails left on
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3 TBL grainy mustard
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    Juice of 1 lime
    Juice of 1/2 a large lemon
    6 TBL olive oil
    Pepper to taste

Early on the day of preparing, place the shrimp in a shallow bowl. Mix the garlic, salt, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar & lime & lemon juices; blend well. Whisk in the oil; add the pepper & pour over the shrimp. Cover & refrigerate turning once. When ready to cook, bring the shrimp to room temperature. Grill over hot coals or under broiler for 2-3 minutes per side.~~Tampa Treasures

For low-fat, even I like this one:
    LOW-FAT LAMB KEBOBS (serves 4)
    3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    1/4 tsp Tabasco
    2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    Mint to taste
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1 lb lean leg or loin of lamb, cut into 1" cubes

combien all ingredients except the lambin a medium glass bowl & mix well. Add the lamb, coating well w/the marinade. Turn into a shallglass or ceramic pan & pierce meat with a fork.
    Cover the pan w/plastic wrap & marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours up to overnight. Divide the meat into 4 equal portions & thread on skewers. Discard leftover marinade. Place foil on bottom rack of oven to catch drippings. Broil lamb skewer 3-4" from heat for 10 minutes, turning once (or grill over hot coals.)~~Slice of Paradise

SHISH KEBOB (serves 4-6)
    Half a large leg of lamb or equal amt of shoulder
    2 TBL olive oil
    3/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Salt & pepper
    12-18 mushroom caps
    Olive oil
    12 bacon sliced, hslved
    1 large green pepper, cut into 1 1/2" squares
    12-18 small white onions, whole
    1 pint firm cherry tomatoes
    6 cups cooked rice

Cut lamb into 2" square cubes, removing any fat, bone or gristle. Place in a large bowl & add the 2 TBL olive oil, vinegar, water, garlic, salt & pepper. Marinate 2-3 hours or overnight.
    Brush mushrooms with olive oil. Saute green pepper swuares in a small amt of olive oil until slightly soft. Parboil onions 5-6 minutes. Drain thoroughly & brush onions & tomatoes w/olive oil.
    Dry lamb w/paper towels. Assemble the kebobs on skewers in the following order; mushroom caps, folded bacon square, lamb, folded bacon square & so on, alternating the vegetables & lamb & bacon squares. Carefully push the ingredients close together & brush w/olive oil.
    Cook kebobs 5 minutes per side either under the broiler or on a grill. The meat will be pink in the middle & brown on the outside. Serve on a bed of hot rice.~~Bound to Please

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!