Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayhellonow

RECIPE: Has anyone here made a tomato cake?

sayhellonow
15 years ago

I noticed the recipes on the Internet and they sound pretty good. I was just wondering if they *taste* good. I found one with diced red tomatoes, one with green tomatoes, and another with tomato soup. Have any of you tried any of them?

Comments (13)

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

I've made the one with tomato soup.
    Everyone thought it was good. More like another spice cake!

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I've made the tomato soup cake also & it was good but that was a long time ago.

• trixietx
    15 years ago

I made the tomato soup cake for my co-workers years ago and it was good and very moist. It was a chocolate cake. Haven't made it since, it was kind of an experiment.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Tha tomato soup cake was a war time novelty to make a moist cake with less fat, which was rationed. It was fine....good....but a cake made with butter is lots better.
    Linda C

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"a cake made with butter is lots better" LOL, Linda -- that would be my assessment also.

• stinkydavis
    15 years ago

Lindac - Tomato Cake was a popular wartime recipe but wasn't it from the Magic Chef cookbook which was published before the war? My Mother made it a couple of times, and I only remember the idea that I thought it was good, not the actual taste. But it always seemed to me that it was special because it called for a cup of sugar, a wildly extravagent amount under rationing. Of course butter was rationed too, but you could substitute margerine, no? There are a few copies of the Magic Chef Cookbook on eBay - 1930 to 1934.

• tonig
    15 years ago

Sayhellonow--My grandmother made a tomato cake with canned tomatoes and I've been looking for the recipe for years. All I can find is the tomato soup one. Her cake included walnuts and she always frosted it with cream cheese frosting. The cake was unusual and nice looking--the acid in the tomatoes turned the walnuts black on the edges (I think that was what caused it). It was very moist (similar to carrot cake). Could you share the recipe you have with the diced tomatoes--were they canned? Thanks!

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

Tomato Cake

Ingredients
    1 c brown sugar
    1/2 c shortening
    2 large eggs
    3 c all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp salt
    2 c ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1/2 c nuts chopped
    1/2 c dates chopped
    1/2 c raisins chopped

Mix cream sugar and shortening.
    Add eggs.
    Add sifted dry ingredients, mixing well.
    Stir in tomatoes, nuts, dates, and raisins.

Put into greased and floured 9x13 inch baking pan.

Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done.

Frost with cream cheese frosting.

• tonig
    15 years ago

whynotmi--
    I've been busy-but not doing much cooking-so I just noticed that you have the recipe I've been looking for. Thank-you. I am eager to fix it for my family.
    Toni

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

I've made the tomato soup cake and didn't like it at all. So I've never tried another what I consider "gimmick" cake since.

• tonig
    15 years ago

Tomato cake made with tomatoes (as opposed to tomato soup) is not a "gimmick". Remember tomatoes are a fruit and many cakes include chopped fruit--most of course are sweeter than tomatoes (but not all--carrot cake).

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure I'd call this "gimicky." Because most of the ingredients are things I have on hand all the time anyway, it seems like a good way to add a bit of nutrition and use up some tomatoes, especially at the end of the season. I've never made one but I think I'll try it. I wanted to get some of your thoughts on it first.

• october17
    15 years ago

Did anyone make this tomato cake with fresh diced tomatoes? If I had seen it last fall, I would have tried it! If it turns out good, I bet you could use tomatoes from the freezer in the winter???

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design