Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Roasted Beet Salad

Posted by compumom (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 10:45

Here's a recipe that appeared in my inbox today from "Grace" a very special restaurant in Los Angeles. I thought everyone should have the opportunity to see it---

If you want to feel like the Californian you really are, try Executive Chef Neal Frasers new Close to Home menu at Grace. Three nights a week, Fraser builds a five-course menu using farm-fresh ingredients from within 400 miles.

Or just make his roasted baby beet salad.

Ingredients:
8 assorted colored baby beets, washed, with green tops trimmed off
6 oz. green beans, tops trimmed
cup extra virgin olive oil, plus a little more to coat the beets
cup balsamic vinegar
8 oz. washed baby arugula, large stems removed
6 oz. Humboldt Fog goat cheese, cut into four pieces (can substitute soy or almond cheese)
Cracked black pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

For the beets: Place in a stainless steel pan. Season with salt and pepper and coat in olive oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and roast at 325 for one and a half to two hours (until tender but not falling apart). Let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove the outer skin and cut in half.

For the beans: Boil a pot of water, add salt and beans and cook until al dente. Remove the beans and immediately place them in ice water. Remove from water, pat dry, and set aside.

For the vinaigrette: Whisk the olive oil into the vinegar until emulsified and then season with salt and pepper.

To make the salad: Place four beet halves around the plates perimeter. Toss the arugula and the green beans with the vinaigrette and place in the center of the plate. Put the cheese on top of the salad and garnish with cracked black pepper.

Serves four friendly neighbors.

Grace, 7360 Beverly Boulevard, between North Fuller and North Martel Avenues, Mid-City West (323-934-4400). Close to Home menu available Tuesday through Thursday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Roasted Beet Salad

I love beet salads with goat cheese. Sub some of the olive oil for Trader Joe's Truffle oil - it will take it to a whole new level!

"Serves four friendly neighbors" - yeah, thats me!

o
RE: RECIPE: Roasted Beet Salad

Sounds like a place we should all try! Yep you are the "friendly neighbor", always entertaining --and I mean that in both senses of the word!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here