Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayhellonow

LOOKING for: Glaze/Icing for Flourless Chocolate Cake

sayhellonow
15 years ago

I made the cake last night from a recipe I found here, but now I need a really good Tried-n-True something to go on top. If anyone has a good one, please let me know, ok? I need it tonight for an almost-surprise (she knows I'm coming to visit but not that I'm bringing a cake).

Comments (4)

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry for asking this, folks. I just found it with the cake recipe where I had searched for it in the first place. Sr. moment personified !

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Would you mind posting the recipes, I don't think I've seen it here or didn't save it if I did (and how did she like the cake?)

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trixie, my deepest apologies. I cannot find the one I actually used. It seems I got it mixed up with the one I found here posted by Marilyn in 2006. Marilyn said she will never use another recipe for Chocolate Cake and I agree. Here is what I remember of mine, and following it is Marilyn's:

Ingredients:

1 lb semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
    2 sticks butter
    8 whole eggs
    1 cup Splenda
    cup strong coffee
    1 cup Splenda

Glaze: 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate + 3 TBS butter  melt in double boiler

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    2. Generously grease a springform cake pan, including the sides. Line bottom with parchment paper. Line entire pan with heavy duty aluminum foil to make it waterproof.
    3. Melt chocolate with butter over barely simmering water. Meanwhile,Â
    4. Beat eggs for about 5 minutes, or until doubled in volume, then add Splenda.
    5. When chocolate mixture has melted, add coffee.
    6. Carefully fold in about 1/3 of the eggs. Fold until only a few streaks of the egg is showing. Then add another 1/3 using the same procedure, and finally the last third of the eggs.
    7. Pour into pan and bake for about 22 Â 25 minutes, or until the sides pull away from the pan. It will look like baked brownies.
    8. Cool in the pan, then place pan in refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
    9. 30 minutes before serving, remove from pan and invert onto plate. Spread with glaze to within ¼" of the edge.
    10. Slice using a very hot but dry knife.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Marilyn's recipe:

I have a really good recipe for flourless chocolate cake but I saw this one in the new Fine Cooking magazine and had to try it because it's so much easier and quicker than mine. This was so good that I will never make my old recipe again!
    Flourless Chocolate Torte

16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (divided) (their recipe called for bitter-sweet)
    7 1/2 ounces butter cut into pieces (divided)
    1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder (this was my addition, it just makes chocolate taste more like chocolate.)
    5 large eggs
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon table salt
    2 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Position rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 300°. Lightly butter the bottom of a 9X2-inch round cake pan and line it with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Lightly butter the parchment paper and dust it with a little cocoa powder, tap out and discard excess.

Melt 12 ounces of the chocolate with 6 ounces (3/4 cup) of the butter over low heat while stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth, stir in espresso powder. Set aside to cool slightly.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and water. Beat on medium high until the mixture is very foamy, pale in color and doubled in volume, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and gradually pour in the chocolate then increase the speed to medium high and continue beating for 30 seconds. Add the cocoa powder and mix on low to medium low just until blended, another 30 seconds. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a pick inserted in the center comes out looking wet with small gooey clumps, 40 to 45 minutes. DonÂt over cook; torte will look soft and not set. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 30 minutes. If necessary, gently push the edges down to form an even layer. Run a small, thin knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Cover with a cake plate and invert. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.

Melt remaining 4 ounces of chocolate with remaining 1 1/2 (3 tablespoons) butter over low heat, stirring until smooth. Spread the glaze evenly over the cold torte to within 1/4-inch of the edge. Refrigerate until glaze is set, 30 to 40 minutes. To serve, remove torte from refrigerator 30 minutes. Cut into 12 servings using a hot knife (dip knife in very hot water and dry).

Here is a picture of it cut.

Marilyn

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S. I should have told you that I'm posting from my office and my recipe is at home. My recipe did not call for vanilla extract but I would add a tsp. to the recipe. Also, keep the cake in the springform pan until ready to add the glaze; it will be very soft and very moist. For the cake and the glaze I used Ghirardelli bars.

This cake could not be any easier unless it was from a mix. I hope you enjoy it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES