Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cavlover

LOOKING for: A quick, easy foolproof, but yummy appetizer!

cavlover
17 years ago

I need to bring an appetizer tonight to a party. Just found out from hubby.

Anyone know any that are quick and easy, but really tasty and different?

Thanks much!

Comments (4)

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Here a few quick ones:

Block of cream cheese
    either: Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
    Blueberry Roasted Chipotle Sauce
    Jalapeno jelly
    Wheat thins

Place cream cheese on a nice serving dish and upon arrival pour the sauce or jelly on top. Serve with wheat thins. You can get the raspberry chipolte sauce and blueberry chipotle at Costco's, also their cream cheese is very good. You have to buy alot, but it keeps well.

Vegetable dip:

Knorr's vegetable soup mix
    16 oz sour cream

Mix and serve with veggies. This needs to be mixed at least 1 hour before serving.

Macadamia Crab Ball

2 (8 oz.) pks. cream cheese
    1 bunch green onions, tops and some ends
    1 T. parsley, chopped (fresh)
    2 T. lemon juice
    1 sm. package fresh crab meat
    1/2 c. finely chopped macadamia nuts
    2-3 drops Tabasco.

Mix softened cream cheese with all ingredients, except nuts. Roll mixture in macadamia nuts. Serve with crackers.

In keeping with Cinco De Mayo, I have a couple of other recipes, but it entails cooking and baking, so if you have some time and if interested, let me know and I'll post them also, one is for a "Fiesta Dip", one for "Mexican Pick-Up Sticks".

Have fun!

Brenda

• annie1992
    17 years ago

If you have just a little time to bake, and you have cheddar cheese and hot pepper jelly on hand, this goes over great every time. I make my own habanero jelly, but any commercial hot pepper jelly would do. The cookies taste like cheese crackers, only good.

Savory Cheddar and Jalapeño Jelly Cookies from Rick Rodgers
    Makes about 4 1/2 dozen

8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup jalapeno jelly, or sub apple butter or chutney

Place cheese and butter in a food processor (could be creamed by hand or mixer); add flour and process until the mixture forms a soft dough. Gather up the dough and divide into two flat disks. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until chilled, about 45 minutes.

Position two racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line two baking sheets with parchment or use nonstick sheets.

Using 1 teaspoon dough for each, roll the dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on the sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or 1/2-inch-thick dowel, poke an indentation in each cookie. Place the jelly in a small plastic bag and force it down into one corner. Snip off the corner of the bag to make a small hole. Pipe the jelly into the indentations.

Return to the oven and bake, switching the positions of the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking, until the tops are very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. (Cookies will continue to crisp as they cool.) Transfer to racks and cool completely.

Can be baked up to two days ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container and separate layers with wax paper.

Annie

• cavlover
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much Brenda and Annie!!!
    They are all super! I will save the ones I don't use for future reference as well!
    You are both so kind to share! I'm not a big cook, so any time I have to do this, I panic! LOL
    Blessings!
    Cavlover

• potpie
    17 years ago

I went to an impromtu cocktail party last weekend and brought corn tortillas with some whipped cream cheese with the Raspberry Chipolte Sauce I picked up at Costco on top for a dip.

Next time I might just mix the cream cheese and Raspberry Chipolte Sauce together and serve it on decorative cut-outs of firm polenta and add a tiny lime wedge for a fancier look.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!