Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mille_gw

RECIPE: Asparagus

mille
16 years ago

I froze a nice big bundle of fresh aspargus to use later on but someone told me that it would be mush when it thawed out(which disappointed me alot)so what can I use it for.I followed directions for freezing aspargus to a tee but i don't want to serve mushy stuff. Can you help me with this.It is to nice to just throw away. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

What about a soup or chowder? I've never frozen asparagus so I'm not sure what happens to it thawed:
    CRAB & ASPARAGUS CHOWDER (serves 8-10)
    1/4 cup butter
    1 medium chopped onion
    2 stalks diced celery
    1 lb chopped potatoes
    1 lb asparagus, cut in 1" chunks
    1/2 cup white wine
    4 TBL clam juice
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp celery salt
    1 1/2 tsp onion salt
    2 cups milk, divided
    1/2 cup flour
    2 cups half-and-half
    1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 TBL dried basil or 1/3 cup fresh, chopped
    1 lb crabmeat, picked to remove shell pieces

Melt butter & saute onion & celery 10 minutes over medium heat. Add potatoes, asparagus, wine, clam juice, pepper, celery salt & onion salt. Bring to a boil & simmer vigorously until vegetables are tender. (You might want to add the asparagus later if it's really mushy.)
    In a small bowl combine 1 cup milk with flour. Mix until smooth. Add to soup & mix well. Reduce to gentle simmer.
    Add 1 cup milk, 2 cups half-and-half, green onions, basil & crab. Simmer until hot. Do not boil. Garnish each bowl with a lemon slice.~~Of Tide & Thyme

ASPARAGUS & TOMATO SOUP (serves 6)
    1 1/2 cups cooked asparagus spears
    5 cups chicken broth
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 TBL chopped parsley
    1 bay leaf
    2 cups canned tomatoes
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp sugar
    2 TBL butter, melted
    2 TBL flour
    For garnishes: sour cream & chopped chives

Combine first 11 ingredients in a stockpot. Cover & simmer 45 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Blend soup mixture in a processor in 2-3 batches until smooth. Return mixture to stockpot & cook over low heat. Combine butter & flour together. Stir into soup. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Garnish with 1 TBL sour cream & 1/2 tsp chopped chives.~~Food for Thought

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

If you prepared and froze the asparagus correctly as you say you did then your spears will be soft, but not mushy. You won't know until you defrost some. Assuming that they aren't mush..... defrost the spears and only heat them enough to warm --- don't cook them anymore... just reheat. Otherwise, the recipes already given sound great!

• patti43
    16 years ago

I freeze asparagus when the price is right and it looks so good. I think it's better to freeze the larger size than the thin new ones. I just wash it, pat it with paper towel, lay it on paper towel to dry, stick it on a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer until it's frozen. Then I put it in portion sizes and put it back in the freezer until I need it. It's good as new. I don't pre-cook it at all. I just love asparagus!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio