Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Will this recipe work w/ my 'lite' alterations?

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 10:28

Quick breads usually do well w/ applesauce subbed for oil/butter/shortening and Splenda instead of sugar, one whole egg and one white. I have also used Sugar Twin's brown sugar instead of regular brown sugar [measure for measure]. Before I tackle this one, though, I'm worried that it won't work out. For one, thing, pineapple is so . . .well, wet. I don't have much experience baking with it. I'd also like to add coarsely chopped cranberries, since the person I'm making it for is nut-intolerant. Please advise.

chery2

Pineapple Nut Bread
INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 can (8-9 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Topping:
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cups chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together the sugar and butter or margarine; add eggs and beat just until blended. Stir in pineapple, vanilla and 1 cup chopped nuts. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
Stir sifted mixture into pineapple mixture just until blended. Spoon batter into a well-buttered loaf pan. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter. Bake for about 1 hour. To test for doneness, stick a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Will this recipe work w/ my 'lite' alterations?

I wouldn't mess with it.....there is only 1/3 cup of butter in the whole recipe....that's not a lot.
The "brown" splenda would be fine for the sugar.,
If you add cranberries you are adding a lot more liquid and sour flavor.
I would sub 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds for the pecans. They aren't nuts but often can substitute for nuts for texture and taste.
Linda C

o

Are you talking about adding the dried cranberries? Think they would work well instead of the nuts.

o

Why not try this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Orange Tea Bread

o

Wondering what "lite orange juice" is?

o

This is from www.floridajuice.com, Linda:

FDOC's gathering information on "low-carb" and "Lite" orange-flavored cocktails

In the next week, the FDOC plans to begin polling consumers to find out whether they are confusing new "low-carb" orange juice cocktails with real, 100 percent pure orange juice.

More than 500 people will be questioned in 10 cities about their knowledge of the new "low-carb" and "lite" orange juice cocktails on the market. The study will also look at how the beverages are presented on retailers' shelves.

The FDOC wants to find out if the drinks have insufficient or misleading labeling.

Many of the juice beverages use colorful pictures of oranges and orange groves despite being comprised of less than 50 percent juice.

One juice cocktail uses green wording on a green background to inform consumers it's an "orange juice beverage" rather than 100 percent juice.

The FDOC also wants to discover whether low-carb juice is cannibalizing sales of 100 percent pure juice.

The FDOC's labeling findings, scheduled to be completed by mid-August, will be shared with the brands and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration

o

So...lite OJ actually has more calories than non "lite"?...lite being OJ diluted with water and stuff?
Never heard of nor have I seen lite orange juice....but then I don't live in a place where oranges grow.

o

It's a carb thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here