Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Garlic dill pickle recipe

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 10:10

20 garlic cloves whacked with the side of a knife, 14 kirby's cleaned and dried,large bunch fresh dill,10 oz pickeling spice,1 3/4 cup kosher salt,2 1/2 cup White Vinegar,6 pieces Rye bread....In a cleaned crock pot layer half of the ingredients then 7 of the pickeles go on top now add the rest of the ingreients and add the other 7 pickles cover with the Salt vinegar mixture...now fill the rest of the crock pot with water then cover with the rye bread put crock pot top on and wrap with celophane...keep in pot 2-3 weeks only open if you have to skim off brown scum if it appears making sure not to disturb the pickles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Garlic dill pickle recipe

Thank you so much Eileen. I am guessing that this is not refrigerated...right? I have no clue about pickling, but am anxious to try these.

Hey, I never baked bread before trying the Artisan bread from this forum..who knows what I might pickle next???

o

Yes I just leave it out on a counter top but be warned if your family is like mine as soon as they are ready 3 days later not a one is left!

o

Sorry if I'm the only one who doesn't know -- what are "kirbys"? Are they small cukes? Do you use seeded or seedless rye bread? Can't wait to try these!
chery2

o

I think there baby cukes and i do use seeded rye. thanks

o

Is the above mentioned recipe the one posted on May 25? My mom and dad have fond memories of their grandmothers making pickles on the farm in an old 5 lb.crock. We recently got one for Mom and she would love to make them. Could you please post the recipe? Thanks!

o

My recipe is right above thats the only one I have and them come out delicious.

o

New crocks are generally lead-free, but if you bought an antique crock be careful. The glaze can contain lead and the salt and acids in fermentation leach it out.

Carol

o

Good tip,mine is new but thats a good point! Thanks Eileen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here