Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldiemom_gw

RECIPE: Looking for Spinach con Queso Recipe

goldiemom
17 years ago

Hello everyone--I am new to this forum and thrilled to see all the *GREAT* recipes here. Does anyone know where I can find a good recipe for Spinach con Queso?

I am specifically looking for the one the American Cafe (http://www.americancafe.com/) uses, as it is the best I've ever had. We recently moved to a new town and there aren't any of those restaurants near us. :-(

I believe the ingredients are: spinach, chicken bouillon, sour cream, and some kind of yellow cheese. I have no idea what the proportions are. Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• roselin32
    17 years ago

This one sounds good:
    Spinach con Queso
    From the Jalapeno Cafe

This is Chili con Queso with a difference. For more heat, subsitute Pepper Jack for the Monterey Jack Cheese.

The secret to making Chili con Quesco is to keep the heat low when melting the cheese. The first time I ever made the dish, I had my heat too high and I had a stringy mess.
    1 10 oz. bunch fresh spinach or 1 10 ounce package
    plain frozen spinach, cooked and finely chopped with
    all the liquid pressed out
    1 tablespoon oil
    3 tablespoons finely minced onion
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    3 oz package cream cheese, room temperature, cubed
    8 ounces (2 cups)Monterey Jack or
    Pepper Jack cheese, grated.

Tortilla chips for dipping
    In a heavy medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until limp and clear, 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

Add spinach and green chilies. Cook and stir until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add cream and cook until mixture begins to boil, about 1 minute.

REDUCE HEAT to low and gradually add cream cheese, stirring until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the Monterey Jack cheese, stirring until melted. Do not allow mixture to boil or cheese will separate. Serve at once with tortilla chips for dipping. Server 4 to 6

Note: To keep mixture warm or to reheat, place onver a pan of hot, but not boiling water.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Or this one:
    Spinach Con Queso

4 ounces half and half

4 ounces water or chicken stock

4 ounces grated parmesan cheese

1 pound Velveeta cheese

1 10 ounce pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, and water squeezed out

cayenne to taste

8 ounces sour cream

juice of 1 lemon

Mix all ingredients in stock pot and melt together over low to medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Serve with tortilla chips.

• goldiemom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great--thanks so much!

• roselin32
    17 years ago

You're welcome but am sure there will be more posted later today so check back again.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I've never had it but the 2nd recipe Roselin posted has sour cream as well as the other ingredients they have.

• potpie
    17 years ago

I have a different recipe that comes from Sante Fe, NM from way back in the 60's. It isn't called Spinach Con Queso, it is just called, Spinach Cheese Dip. Not as fancy a name, but I can assure you this is delicoius! I like it inside my omelet all melty and creamy good! LOL

Spinach Cheese Dip
    1/2 cup green chile pepper, chopped fine
    1 1/2 tablespoon jalepeno pepper, chopped fine
    1/4 cup sweet onion, minced
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 to 3 plum tomatoes, diced with seeds and juice
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup half and half cream
    1 3/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
    10 ounce package of frozen spinach
    6 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese

Thaw spinach and squeeze dry. Shred cheddar cheese. Saute chilies, jalapenos and onions with the oil over a medium heat until they are soft, but not browned. Add tomatoes, cook an additional 2 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from heat, reserve. In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese until it's smooth and creamy. Gradually add the half and half cream, and the vinegar. Keep mixing until it is all thoroughly blended. then by hand, mix the spinach and cheddar cheese into the cream cheese mixture. Next, add the reserved chili mixture once the spinach and cheddar are mixed in well. Spoon mixture into over-proof bowl. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until warm. Serve with crackers or crudites. Note: Top with spicy chile seasoned chopped pecans. Also good served with cilantro leaves added or as a garnish. Tip: I like the flavor of a lemon or lime or both instead of the vinegar.

• goldiemom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, thanks potpie! It sounds so delicious!

• potpie
    17 years ago

Goldiemom, I haven't made this in probably two years. But, I used to make it all the time.

I wonder if other people do that? Have a recipe that is a mainstay on their agendas for meals and then all of a sudden, it drops off the radar screen, and before they realize it, a few years fly by and they haven't had it.

Looks like it is time to have a spinach cheese omelet again!