Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Italian Spaghetti Pie

eileenlaunonen
14 years ago

A friend makes this dish....her Nona made it for every holiday and special occasion. Its made with spagehtti and some type of egg cheese mixture...no meat no red gravy and its fried and can be served as a meal or cut into small squares for an appetizer.........help please

Comments (13)

• sunshines
    14 years ago

You said a friend makes this dish, why don't you ask her how it is made? Is she keeping it a family secret?

Sounds good.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thats exactly why.

• User
    14 years ago

I just found this one:

SPAGHETTI PIE

Ingredients
    1 1/4 lb. pasta (preferably spaghetti or bocatini)
    6 eggs (beaten)
    1 tbl. olive oil
    1/2 cup milk (can be substituted with light cream) - optional
    1 cup finely grated pecorino Romano cheese (about 4 oz.)
    1 tsp. dry parsley flakes
    1 lb. aged mozzarella - 4 cups - (substitute with Polly-O)
    12 oz. diced soppressata - (hot or sweet) and/ or prociutto/ham - 1/4 in. dice
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tsp. salt (add to water for pasta)

In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, milk, cheese, parsley, black pepper and beat very well. Add your soppressata/prosciutto/ham and mozzarella and mix thoroughly.

Now add your pasta and toss well. Grease a baking pan (10-by-3 inch round)* and pour the mix in. Bake at preheated oven 375 degrees for 40 minutes with foil cover, and then cook additional 20 minutes without the foil for crispy golden top.

Remove to a rack to cool, about 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to unmold. Remove parchment paper. Cut into wedges.

*Using a corning ware (pyrex) pan is preferred for non-sticking and easy removal.
    *Lining your baking pan with parchment paper is another option for non-sticking.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Joann...this recipe can probably come close if i remove the meats...as the recipe has nothing but spaghetti and a very flavorful egg mixture.

• kaelkriver
    14 years ago

Here's a couple I have that might do the trick -

Baked Spaghetti

Â 6 ounces spaghetti
    Â 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    Â 2 eggs, beaten
    Â 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Â 1 cup cottage cheese
    Â 1 pound ground beef
    Â 1/2 cup chopped onion
    Â 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
    Â 1 can (8 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
    Â 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
    Â 1 teaspoon sugar
    Â 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Â 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    Â 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and place in bowl. Add butter, eggs and Parmesan cheese; mix well. Spread over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. deep-dish pie plate. Spoon cottage cheese into crust; set aside. In a skillet, brown beef, onion and red pepper until beef is browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano and garlic salt. Spoon over cottage cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings

Baked Spaghetti II

Â 1 cup chopped onion
    Â 1 cup chopped green pepper
    Â 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    Â 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    Â 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
    Â 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
    Â 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    Â 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained, optional
    Â 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
    Â 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    Â 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    Â 1/4 cup water
    Â 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, sauté onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and oregano. Add ground beef if desired. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with half of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat layers. Mix the soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 serving

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you!!!

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joann I making your recipe Sat Ill post back and let you know my results thanks again!

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok I made it ...very good and a nice flavor. i seasoned the egg mixture with cracked pepper and garlic powder put in no meat...DELICIOUS!!!

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

Hey Eileen.

I grew up on this dish which was a great way to use leftover, unsauced pasta.

My Dad beats up a few eggs, some locatelli, lots of fresh-ground pepper, and some chopped parsley. All that gets tossed with the leftover pasta (usually spaghetti, but any kind will do).

Heat a cast iron or oven-safe pan (optional if cooking only on stove) with some olive oil (can add a layer of sliced tomatoes too - as the bottom will become the top for serving). Add the pasta mixture and cook on medium until set. Carefully turn over by sliding onto a plate and flipping upside down in the pan. Cook with cover until set.

Alternatively, you can start it on the stove and finish in a 350 oven.

We never added meat but I imagine some prosciutto or ground, browned sausage must be nice.

Sue

• Regina Speed
    8 years ago

I am looking for one that has spaghetti egg mixture, but a pie crust on it.

• Kathy Conklin
    6 years ago

That is traditionally called Easter Pie.

• Kathy Conklin
    6 years ago

Im looking for the recipe for, as my dad called it, bastede. I have no idea how to spell it. His Brooklyn Italian always changed pronunciations. This dish was made with lard eggs and spaghetti. My dad passed away yesrs ago and for some reason im craving this but i dont know how to make it.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012