Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pasta with Shrimp & Broccoli

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 9:18

I made this last night for dinner, and it's a keeper. I pretty much stuck to the recipe, although I used fresh broccoli and about 8 ounces of penne. I also used the whole cup of cream because I really wasn't sure what to do with just 1/2 cup of whipping cream left in the container. Since I had some cooked frozen shrimp to use, I added the full amount of garlic to the sauce and just added the shrimp at the end.

Okay, so other than that, I pretty much stuck to the recipe... LOL

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Angel Hair Pasta with Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 package angel hair pasta -- (12 ounce)
2 1/2 tablespoons butter -- divided
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons pesto
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons salt -- divided
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
1 dash hot sauce
1/2 package frozen broccoli -- (16 ounce)
florets -- thawed
1 pound jumbo shrimp -- peeled and deveined
3 cloves garlic -- minced

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Melt 1.5 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in milk and cream; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in pesto, parsley, garlic, Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer.
3. Meanwhile, place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet. Saute shrimp, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt for 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink.
5. In a large bowl, toss pasta, shrimp and broccoli; pour sauce over and serve.

www.allrecipes.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pasta with Shrimp & Broccoli

Becky - thanks for posting this - it has all of my favorite ingredients (including the butter and cream lol). I'm going to make it on Sunday. I think I will use fresh broccoli, since I have some.

seagrass

o
RE: RECIPE: Pasta with Shrimp & Broccoli question

Did you use 6 cloves of garlic??

o

6 cloves? Um... yes. Maybe even one or two more LOL.

Becky

o

O.K. - I can do that too!

o

I just KNOW that I posted to this the other day - where did it disappear to? I basically said what seagrass said, LOL, all my favorite ingredients!

You have never steered me wrong with a recipe yet, Becky, thanks for this new one to try. I made your oven scampi with the mustard the other day and it is a huge favorite in this house - we've had it more than once - this time I added the zest from the lemon and it got even better.

o

Glad you have enjoyed the scampi recipe Woodie! And what a great idea to add the lemon zest to the sauce - yum :-) We have houseguests coming at the end of the month and I think I'll make it for dinner one night.

I did want to mention one thing about this recipe though - I don't know about using a total of 2 teaspoons of salt. That seemed like a lot to me. I added about 1 teaspoon to the sauce and also salted the pasta water and it was plenty. So use your own judgement on that one. Maybe if you're cooking the shrimp as they say it's different, but it still seems like a lot to me.

Becky

o

Thanks, Becky, I always automatically cut down on salt in a recipe or many times even cut it out - with parm cheese, worcestershire and plenty of garlic (I have a heavy hand with garlic) I would probably leave it out anyway, except for the pasta water.

o

Thanks Becky,
I will surely try this weekend. Hope evrything comes out well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here