Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: clams with chorizo

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 8:27

I had a great pot up in a Newport Rhode Island Pub...It had clams and chorizo in what I believe was a garlic wine broth Im sure its easily duplicated but I thought maybe someone makes this. I will be making this for the 31st for the surprise 40th anniversary, figure its a good starter before/filler before the grilling food is served i will be adding mussels too! Chorizo is cured right??? So can I just slice it and add to the pot without cooking for a long time????? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: clams with chorizo

Here's a recipe from Epicurious

Bon appetit

Here is a link that might be useful: Clams in wine and chorizo

o

thanks

o

In New England, particularly around New Bedford, Fall River, Newport, etc...you are more likely describing Portuguese chourico which is not cured and must be cooked like any other fresh pork sausage. You do not have to take it out of the casing - you can slice it but chourico and it's cousin, linguica, can be quite greasy.

seagrass

o

Here's a recipe from Food and Wine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portuguese Clam and Chorizo Stew

o

Ah yes ...you are probably right! I have better access to Chorizo with many Hispanic markets in the NY area although I have seen Portugese in the bigger markets...which would create less grease??

o
RE: LOOKING for: clams with chorizo...

The two recipes that are linked above seem to use two different types of sausage. It looks like the one from Epicurious uses the dried, cured stuff and the one from Food & Wine uses the fresh/uncured stuff. I think the latter would be greasier but I'm not sure. If you look at the directions for the Food & Wine recipe, it calls for taking the sausage out of it's casing (it's quite firm), coarsely dicing it and then simmering in some water before proceeding to use it in the recipe. This would cut down on the grease.

Since I've been living in Holland, I have been able to buy really good Spanish chorizo (the cured kind). When I use it in a mussel/white wine/tomatoes type of brothy sauce for pasta the amount of grease/fat doesn't bother me because it's really dispersed in the amount of the other ingredients. But when I tried using the same stuff in a paella, I found it to be very greasy.

Don't know if this helps you or not!

seagrass

o

Thanks Seagrass!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here