Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Lemon balm chick peas

Posted by joannaw (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 8:05

The lemon balm is getting taller every day, and I'm in search of good ways to use it up! I know about using it in tea and syrup and mojitos and jelly, but I'm looking for some different, savory things to do with it (I can't possibly suck down enough sweet tea to use up all my lemon balm and mint!). I've found that it's delicious in salads (especialy with dried cranberries), and yesterday came up with this dish:

Curried chick peas with lemon balm

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp curry powder
leaves from 2-3 4-6 inch sprigs lemon balm, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium heavy skillet, heat olive oil until hot. Fry chickpeas until golden. Stir in curry powder and fry for about a min. more. Remove from heat, toss in the lemon balm. Enjoy. It might be good with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to finish, too, but I didn't have any on hand.

What are some interesting, off-the-beaten-path ways you have used lemon balm?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Lemon balm chick peas

Hi everyone! Long time looker deciding to post a bit now.

Lemon Balm recipe looks good, going to try it.

How about Stuffed Chicken with garlic, lemon balm, parsley, oregano and other herbs?

Now need to find Lemon Verbena, have plenty Lemon Balm---great in iced tea, especially about now.

Have a good weekend,

Bea

o
RE: RECIPE: Lemon balm chick peas

I really like lemon balm. It is a member of the mint family and can be used like mint. Fresh sprigs are used to top drinks and as garnishes on salads and main dishes. Fresh or dried leaves make a refreshing tea, either iced or hot. Use it with fish, poultry, rice and salads; it is suggested to use lemon balm leaves for any dish containing lemon juice to get a more intensive lemon aroma. Lemon balm is great with fresh fruits, especially apples; it is sometimes found in apple-based desserts, fruit salads or fruit-based desserts (can also use lemon verbena or mint). Because herbal vinegar is mostly made from apple vinegar, it may benefit from a few balm leaves.

I found this recipe, but can't remember where.

LEMON BALM-BASIL PESTO

5 or 6 cloves of garlic
cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of toasted pecans or walnuts or almonds, or nut of your choice
1 cup of lemon balm leaves
1 cup of basil leaves

Put 5 or 6 cloves of garlic in a food processor. Add to this or take away depending on your love for garlic. Add cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup of toasted pecans or walnuts or almonds, any nut will work. Add one cup of lemon balm leaves and one cup of basil leaves. Store it in the fridge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here