Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

LOOKING for: .....some courtesy?

teresa_nc7
13 years ago

This is a request to those of you who are fly-by-night posters: if you post a "Looking For" request to help find a recipe, please have the courtesy to at least check in at some point and let us know if you tried a recipe posted to your request or express appreciation to those who tried to help you out. It's just common courtesy, folks.

Thank you.

Comments (14)

• millymoo
    13 years ago

Here's some thankfulness. I haven't checked in here in a few months b/c of busy work situation but I have been meaning to write about a recipe I found here for meatballs that was given out for, I think, a cocktail meatball recipe request for the holidays. It was not my request but I am grateful for it.

I don't remember whose recipe it was but it called for allspice and ginger and was to be mixed in the food processor and then, I think, boiled for a few mins.

I just wanted to let this person know that their recipe is fabulous! I have tweaked it somewhat but it is now my go-to meatball recipe. When time allows, I will spend a few hours on the we/end making a big batch of 1 inch balls and freezing them. Then during the week, I can easily thaw them and throw them into a pasta sauce.
    I have received many compliments on the flavour-initially, I couldn't believe allspice and ginger could lend an 'Italian' flavour but that's what family says these meatballs have. Anyway, I'm very pleased and very grateful for this little gem of a recipe.

Other recipes I've found and loved were Italian Love cake, some pasta sauces and pickle recipes. Oh, and artisan bread.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I don't post recipes for the response, nor for a thank you.
    I post recipes out of a spirit of helpfulness.
    A follow up may be nice...but frankly I often post a recipe and never visit the thread again....so how would I know?
    I for sure don't check a thread to see if anyone tried my recipe.
    Linda C

• favpat00
    13 years ago

Please, Millymoo, will you share the meatball recipe that you are referring to? The ginger and allspice have peaked my curiosity as well as my tastebuds!

Thanks much!
    Chris

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Neither do I post a recipe or method so I can get a "thank-you." That said, as Teresa said, and most people with any upbringing is taught, it's "common courtesy" to do so.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Right on Teresa. It's a bit like being a teacher. I'll put out more effort for those truly interested and they are the ones who acknowledge the help.

I do try to revisit to see if there is further clarification needed.

• deannabsd
    13 years ago

I also try to revisit and it about drives you buggy when you can't relocate the site again even through the search...Even if it is my own post-sometimes the wording is such that it doesn't look familiar. D

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

I always like to see a response, just to be acknowledged. But then sometimes we forget to check back and that check box to get email just doesn't work. Many posts of mine I never get email even thougt I check the box.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    13 years ago

Millymoo, I, too, would appreciate the recipe for meatballs if you will be kind enough to include it. Thank you in advance.

• gardendoc
    13 years ago

Yes, please send the Meatball recipe!

G'Doc

• blizlady
    13 years ago

I have no clue if this is the recipe for the meatballs that a few people are asking about, but it sounds like it. I found it at a site called Diana's Kitchen:

Appetizer Meatballs
    Mormor's Meatballs
    This has become one of our holiday favorites.

* 1/2 cup bread crumbs -- dried
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 1/2 pound ground beef
    * 1/2 pound ground pork
    * salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1 small onion -- chop fine
    * 1 egg -- slightly beaten
    * 6 tablespoons brown sugar
    * 1/2 cup beef broth -- concentrated
    * 2 tablespoons butter -- melted

In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and milk; let stand a few minutes until milk is absorbed. Add the beef, pork, 1 teaspoon salt, allspice, ginger, onion, and egg and mix until blended. Shape mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Drop the meatballs into the water and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, broth, and melted butter; stir and heat until the brown sugar is dissolved to form a glaze. Drain the meatballs and place in a single layer in a 13x9" baking dish. Spoon the glaze over the meatballs and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, turning the meatballs by shaking the pan after each 10 minutes of baking.
    Recipe from "Christmas Memories with Recipes" (Beatrice Ojakangas)

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, blizlady! I'm guessing these are a version of Swedish meatballs if the recipe came from Beatrice. These sound good - a different way of preparation, too. You can't ever have too many meatball recipes, IMO!

Teresa

• millymoo
    13 years ago

That's it blizlady!!!
    Sorry, haven't checked in awhile but yes, that's the recipe I've been using. Sorry for not posting it but at least blizlady did.
    I said I tweaked the recipe a little. I don't boil the balls anymore-although that does work well and they hold their shape. I bake them in a 325F oven for about 20-25 mins. I also don't use the glaze. I simply wait for them to cool and stuff them into freezer bags. Then, when needed, I pop them into pasta sauce.
    They're so good, I actually start fretting when I notice I'm getting low on them. LOL! I make a batch every couple of months.

• favpat00
    13 years ago

Thank you Blizlady! These do sound Swedish and YUMMY! My kiddos will love them!

• annova914
    13 years ago

I have my own family recipe for Swedish meatballs but I think I'll try these...think I'll do as millymoo does and just bake them. Also, to keep the onions from "sticking out" of the meatballs, I learned from my mom to shred a couple tablespoons of onion and saute them in butter before adding to the meat mixture.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz