Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsf798

LOOKING for: Beef & Noodles like Grandma used to make

nsf798
17 years ago

Dh's grandmother used to make homemade beef & noodles for him when he was little. He tells the story of how on the drive to her house he would get lectured not to ask Grandma to make beef & noodles for him. Then they'd walk in the door and Grandma would ask him what he wanted her to cook for him. And as always he'd say Beef & Noodles. She loved making it for him. I'd love to have a really great recipe for homemade Beef & Noodles to surprise dh, if anyone would like to share. Thank you!!

Comments (17)

• woodie
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I honestly don't make beef and noodles (but it sure sounds good) but I wonder what kind of beef do you mean? Maybe if you could go into a bit more detail, somebody might have a recipe. Do you mean meat like stew meat or ground hamburger and would it be a brown gravy or have some tomato in it? Can you get some more details from your DH without spoiling the surprise?

• woodie
    17 years ago

My Stars, Potpie! I am truly salivating after reading your recipe! Wow! Your (your grandmother's) recipe sounds like heaven on earth.

• nsf798
    Original Author
    17 years ago

woodie2, sorry I didn't explain it more. It's just cut up chunks of beef & homemade noodles. No tomatos & not a thick gravy, more like a soup but you just eat the noodles & meat.

potpie, thank you so much for your very detailed recipe! I will give this a try definately. And I love them with mashed potatoes too.

If anyone has any more, please share. I would like to be able to make this in under an hour.

Also I don't have a food processor. How else do I make the noodles?

• lois_arcade
    17 years ago

Hey Potpie, my dog isn't getting any more bones!
    WOW, you know I cut & pasted that recipe.

Nsf798, the way I've been making it is to take my leftover roast beef cut down into bite size chunks and toss it into the leftover gravy from the roast. I also fry up sliced onions and add those. As this heats through I cook up noodles and serve together. This always tastes good, but I don't think it would knock Dh's socks off. I bet Potpie's recipe could.

Lois

• annie1992
    17 years ago

nsf798, noodles are pretty simple. Put 2 cups of flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl, make a little "nest" in the middle and add 2 eggs plus a bit of melted butter if you like. I've never added the butter, but it might add a little nice flavor. Stir the eggs into the flour until it comes together into a ball, use your hands if you have to. I always do. If it is too dry to make a dough at all, add a little bit of water at a time until you have a very stiff dough that will hold together in a ball, then roll out on a floured surface and cut to your desired thickness.

Annie

• lindac
    17 years ago

It's impossible to make "beef and noodles" in under an hour....unless you have done the cook the bones, make the broth, thing and have the results in the freezer.
    I suppose you COULD simmer some cut up round steak in jarred "artificial" gravy....but that is a sacriledge!
    Sounds wonderful, Potpie! That's pretty much the way I do....but usually skip the bones thing and just start with a chuck roast, browned and cooked in canned broth ( I know!!...)
    Linda C

• potpie
    17 years ago

Thanks!

If you want to make Chicken and Noodles or Turkey and Noodles, you just use poultry bones instead of beef.

When I make chicken and noodles, sometimes I'll add about 5 cups of thick shredded cabbage and two sticks of butter about 12 minutes before adding the noodles. Then, add the noodles. It is the best cabbage and noodles you'll ever eat! If you do the cabbage and noodles, you'll be adding a lot of salt and pepper to season after it is done.

• Kay
    17 years ago

Potpie's version sounds so good! I make this dish with fewer steps, but it indeed takes more than an hour. It's basically pot roast (but without the carrots and potatoes), using a chuck roast, as mentioned before, and salt, pepper, and onions essential. Brown the meat first, and add other seasonings such as herbs or vinegar if you like, but it is good to keep it simple. Use a little water or beef broth as the liquid for braising. I'll have to try that thyme or sherry wine next time as something to add in. One thing I personally always love to add during the last few minutes of cooking time is sliced mushrooms!

I used to always start with a chuck roast, but I have also cut it up first before cooking, like stew meat, and that works fine. It might cook a little faster. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer gently, covered, for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Oh, by the way, I have used round steak instead of chuck, and it is also delicious in beef and noodles.

Sorry this recipe is not exact. I've used different amounts of meat; it always seems fine, and this traditionally was a way to stretch a meal. Maybe 2-3 pounds beef to one pound of noodles would be good. Mushrooms kind of fill in with that same texture.

I use store bought noodles and cook separately in salted water. You can butter the noodles for extra richness, and maybe add a little chopped Italian parsley to them.

After the meat is done, shred or cut it up and combine it with the cooking liquid, noodles, and extra beef stock if needed. Done!

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

We get all our meat from my folks and we seem to run out of roasts and hamburger first. What I do is take a couple of steaks, sirloin, t-bone, round steaks and while partially frozen I cut into small pieces. I put those in a small roaster with some onions , water, and the meat seasoned. I bake at 350 until done, while this is cooking I make the homemade noodles. I just love homemade noodles even though mine always look like some crazy woman made them:) I then boil the noodles when finished, and add to the browned beef in the roaster along with more water and beef base. You could put it on top of the stove and add enough water for soup, but I put it in the roaster and add a little flour to thicken the gravy.

BTW this is making me hungry for some beef and noodles, may have to get busy this morning.

As to taking an hour, one thing that I do is make up a couple batches of noodles at one time. After letting them dry I will put them in the freezer, then I have noodles ready for when ever I want to make chicken and noodles, or beef and noodles.

Stacie

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

I use the same noodle recipe as potpie but instead of the butter, I add a spoonful of fat from the beef or chicken broth along with the eggs. It gives the noodles a little extra flavor.

• lisbet
    17 years ago

"potpie" Many, many thanks for sharing your grandmother's recipe with us! In this day of fast foods, quick and easy recipes...everybody seems to want to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen. Really good, basic cooking seems to be a lost art to the young, modern housewife.

I am a "from scratch" cook, getting a great deal of satisfaction from old-fashioned, basic cooking. Of course, under some circumstances quick, easy recipes have their place too.

• rabbitoy
    15 years ago

Both my mother and mother-in-law made an eggless noodle and called them Sliders. You can stew either chicken or beef. Beef is our fave...I stew beef shanks for 2-3hrs with water & onions, salt & pepper. I later take some of the broth out to mix with flour and 1/2 to 1 tsp of baking powder to form a ball of dough. I roll it out and cut into squares or any shape. After removing the bone and grizzle, I cut the beef into smaller pieces and return to broth. Drop the noodles into the broth and simmer for a half hour or more. Just made some for my aunt & uncle today.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

After reading this thread today, I've decided I should make some stewed beef and noodles (sliders) before hot weather gets here. I loved the stewed beef my mom made in her pressure cooker when I was growing up.

Thanks for the recipes!
    Teresa

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Hmm, teresa, you have about a week to get going on this then.
    It was near 70 here today.

• Hellion
    15 years ago

Amish Acres in Nappanee IN....the restaurant there has (had?) the best beef and noodles I ever ate in my life. Do they still serve family style dinners there?

• Christal Lavery
    8 years ago

Pot pie thanks for sharing . As to the comment about not making them in under an hour while true my wonderful Lulu made them really quick using a pressure cooker for the beef which was always tender and loaded with flavor. This was exactly what I was searching for today and I thank you.