Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe: flat (1/2') cinnamon roll pastries: technique?

Posted by blueberrier1 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 22:59

Has anyone made a raised dough pastry spiraled like a cinnamon roll, same ingredients, and then rolled it to a 1/4"-3/8" thickness before rising and baking? The final thickness is about 1" or less.

Have heard that these are sold in some bakeries. They were described as 4"-6" diameters. Is there a name for these?

My 'regular' cinnamon rolls are 1 1/2" high. Since I tend to used lots of goodies in the filling, I believe I would have to begin any experimenting with just sugar and cinnamon filling. If anyone has already mastered the skill of these, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
cella jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe: flat (1/2') cinnamon roll pastries: technique?

Sounds like elephant ears. Some are made with yeast, others not. The one below has yeast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elephant ears

o

I use my bread machine on dough cycle to make my sweet roll mix. You may cut the rolled up dough thinner and place them farther apart on the baking tray and flatten with your hand or use a rolling pin. When I make the thinner flatter ones, I use only butter, white sugar and cinn. I substitute brown sugar if I am making them thicker and place them closer together on the baking sheet. When done, I like a drizzle of frosting on top. Another note, I always use water instead of milk in my sweet roll recipes.

o

Thanks Shirley and Ginger,

Will try the elephant ear technique in the next few days with GDTs. Will try some raised and unraised.

My favorite sweet roll dough is similar to European Easter breads=very rich! May or may not have potatoes, but always has milk and lots of eggs. Just now the new hens are working overtime, so for a 9 cup flour recipe, I use 3-4 whole eggs and a half cup of yolks and only a 1/2 cup of butter.
If all the dough is destined for cinnamon rolls, I add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg to the dough mix. Additional cinnamon goes in the filling. This dough refrigerates well.

For several years, I have been addicted to Vietnamese cinnamon Premium with 5% oil that I buy in pound pkgs from our food coop. I was not aware of the variation in cinnamons until I tried three kinds side by side, in coffee and in rolls. This Vietnamese is the sweetest variety I have found.
cella jane

o

I've been using the Saigon cinnamon from Penzey's & like it very much. It's the only other kind I've tried other than the supermarket type but I'll take just about anything with cinnamon in it.

o

Many times I will use a Brioche recipe for my sweet rolls. In that particular recipe I do use milk and lots of eggs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here