Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

LOOKING for: Had this on a recent cruise, and need info

glenda_al
17 years ago

Chilled strawberry soup, which was wonderful! They served it with chopped mint on top.

INGREDIENTS

2 pints strawberries

2 cups plain yogurt

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup water

1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom

DIRECTIONS

In a blender, combine the strawberries, yogurt, orange juice, sugar, water and cardamom. Puree until well mixed. Chill and serve.

What can I substitute for cardamom AND does anyone have a simple recipe that is better?

Don't want to buy cardamon, just for this recipe, as I hear it is expensive, and probably never use it again.

Comments (22)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, nothing substitutes for cardamom. You're better off just leaving it out than trying to replicate it's unique flavor.

Seems to me that just mixing in some chopped mint would be fine.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I don't put cardamon in my strawberry soup....
    to 2 pints of berries and about 1/2 cup of sugar....I add 3 cups of buttermilk and 1/2 pint of sour cream. Blend and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
    If I have it, I will sometimes add half of one of those little individual cans of pineapple juice.
    I have a friend who makes hers just strawberries, sugar and half and half with a little orange juice. Delicious but rich!
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Here's the substitute from Cook's Thesaurus:

Substitutes: brown cardamom OR equal parts ground nutmeg and cinnamon OR equal parts ground cloves and cinnamon OR nutmeg OR cinnamon.

If you don't want to do that, I'd just omit. Your recipe sounds good.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice, and Ginger, thanks for the substitute suggestions!

• dances_in_garden
    17 years ago

Glenda, I bought a tiny bit of ground cardamom at the bulk food store for just pennies. That way I didn't buy a whole jar that would lose it's flavour before I could use it. If you have one near you, it is a thought.

I have never had any kind of fruit soup before. I find this recipe very tempting LOL.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was the only one at the table that ordered the soup. Everyone had to sample, then they asked for their own.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

hey glenda, i have plenty of cardamon and i wouldn't mind sharing. if you want to pop me your address, i'll put some in the mail to you.

maryanne

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Where'd you go on your cruise, Glenda?

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, thank you so much, maryanne! Just emailed you my address.

Ginger, I did two back to back cruises.
    First one to the Southern Caribbean and hooked up with KT gal who was also on that cruise.
    And a short one to Cozumel with family.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Sounds like fun!

• vmarcos68
    17 years ago

How would the flavor of pistachio nuts, pine nuts or pumpkin seeds substitute for cardamom?

• carla35
    17 years ago

glenda,

I've made strawberry soup a couple times. I think once I used a recipe similar to yours but I know I don't have cardamom so I think I just substituted cinnamon or I may have just left it out all together.

The link below is another recipe that is easy and just a little different (It says it is the one served on the Carnival Cruise Lines). I have to admit that when I made this my blender totally broke during the process; I was trying to taste some of it before it all spilled out the bottom. It seemed to taste good, but I didn't really get a great taste of it to know for sure, but I'm guessing with all that cream it can't be bad!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilled Strawberry Soup

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was on the Carnival, and had the soup. It did have a good strawberry taste.

I'm gonna save that recipe, the one I posted was just a good sounding one I found.

Carla, being as you found Carnival Cruise strawberry soup, see if you can find this one.

Chilled orange sorbet soup.
    I had that on Carnival and it was outstanding.

Was told it was melted orange sherbet and blended with tapioca, etc.

Been looking and looking for that recipe.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

glenda, mailed today. you should get it early next week.

maryanne

• carla35
    17 years ago

glenda,

I couldn't find the orange soup you're after, but here's an orange soup made with tapioca. Maybe it's close?

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Fruit Soup

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

carla, you are the mostest!

Two great recipes, and I greatly appreciate your research!

• sillymesillyne
    17 years ago

Glenda,
    This is the real recipe from Carnival. The one posted above is just a copy cat recipe. There are loads of CC recipes around for cruise recipes.. but most of the lines put out cookbooks with the authentic recipes. I found it on the cruisecritic.com boards. It's in the Foodies forum. Someone posted that they had the orange sherbet soup recipe, but they never actually posted it. Glad you liked your cruise! Cruises are wonderful. We've taken 6, so far, and have 3 booked for this December. We hope to try Carnival some time.
    Anyway here is the reecipe for you. Enjoy!

Strawberry Bisque
    3 c strawberries, washed and hulled
    1 ½ c water
    ¾ c sugar
    3 T lemon juice
    1 t grated lemon peel
    1 ½ c red wine
    1 c. sour cream
    fresh mint leaves
    Directions:
    Combine strawberries, ½ c water, and sugar in a blender. Cover and blend the mixture until pureed. Stir in lemon juice, peel, 1 c. water and wine. Stir in sour cream until blended. Chill for several hours before serving and garnish with mint.

Silly

• carla35
    17 years ago

Yeah, I don't really know if the recipe I posted above was the exact one or not..that's just what the original poster of the recipe implied. I would bet there are copy cat versions everywhere. I'm not even sure if the REAL recipe listed right above is real--LOL. I found the same one and picture on a site that didn't give it credit as it coming from a cookbook..so who knows. (Maybe they are just all recipes from the cruise ship?)

Regardless, I'd be a little careful serving the one above without notifying the guests that there is non-cooked alchohol in it. It may not sit too well with people taking medicines, pregnant woman, and kids. I'm surprised a cruise line would serve that without noting the alchohol in it. Seems more like a punch recipe. Sounds really good, though, just be sure your guests know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Bisque

• sillymesillyne
    17 years ago

It's real, Carla.
    Straight out of the Carnival cookbook sold onboard. I saw actual scanned pics of pages.

There are 8 pages on the thread with lots of CC passenger favorites posted straight out of the CC cookbook/cookbooks.

Silly

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for sharing recipes you took time to find.

• arandygail
    17 years ago

Glenda--
    I, too, just returned from Cozumel on Carnival. I saw the strawberry soup on the menu but did not try it. Now I wish I had. I am printing the recipe to try when local strawberries become available.

(We were on the Carnival trip that left Mobil on Mar. 30. Any chance you were on the same ship?)

Gail

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gail, I was ahead of you. Left, Thurs, Mar 22, out of Mobile for Cozumel.

I was on ANOTHER cruise :o) just earlier, The Legend, and met a gal from the Kitchen Table forum. Just a coincidence, but we became great friends on that cruise. Went to southern Caribbean isles.

Me, on left, Carol from KT, and her roommate.