Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for: i need a great but easy chocolate mousse recipe!

Posted by zmom72006 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 21:10

Anyone out there have a spectacular chocolate mousse recipe? I prefer easy, but if it's not that is okay too, as long as it'll knock the socks off my inlaws! Maybe there can be just a bit of some kind of alcohol in it (I am not sure what kind - maybe Kahlua or Amaretto or something) to give it a tiny kick. Thanks - any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for: i need a great but easy chocolate mousse recipe

How about Bailey's? This makes a lot!

16 oz. semi-sweet chocolate plus 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate

1/4 C. Bailey's Irish Cream

1/2 C. heavy cream

4 T. brewed espresso or coffee

Sugar syrup:

2 T. sugar

4 T. water

1/2 C. egg whites (about 4 eggs)

1 quart heavy cream

3/4 C. sugar

Melt chocolate, Irish cream and espresso over low heat. Remove from heat.

In separate pan, simmer sugar and water until temperature on a candy thermometer reaches 224 to 230F., soft ball stage. (Remove from heat at 224F; mixture will begin to caramelize at 232F.)

Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy. Add sugar syrup to whites while beating and continue to whip about 8 minutes until eggs have increased in volume and mixture has cooled; fold into chocolate mixture.

Whip heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Mix with chocolate mixture/eggs/sugar syrup mixture.

Pour mousse into molds or serving dish. Allow to set in fridge. Garnish with chocolate shavings and fresh seasonal berries.

And remember, it's only as good as the chocolate you use!

o

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE (serves 12)
1/2 lb sweet chocolate
6 large eggs, separated
3 TBL water
1/4 cup Amaretto or Grand Marnier
2 cups heavy cream
6 TBL sugar

Cut the chocolate into small pieces & place in a saucepan over hot water in a double boiler. Cover & let melt over low heat.
Put the yolks in a heavy saucepan & add the water. Place the saucepan over very low heat while beating vigorously & constantly with a wire whisk. (Make sure the heat is very low.) When the yolks start to thicken, add the liqueur, beating constantly. Cook until the sauce achieves the consistency of a hollandaise or a sabayon. Remove from the heat.
Add the melted chocolate to the sauce & fol it in. Scrape the sauce into a mixing bowl.
Beat the cream until stiff, adding 2 TBL of the sugar toward the end of beating. Fold this into the chocolate mixture.
Beat the whites until soft peaks start to form. Beat in remaining sugar & continue beating until stiff. Fold this into the mousse.
Spoon the mousse int a serving bowl & chill until ready to serve. If desired, garnish w/whipped cream & grated chocolate.~~Craig Claiborne

o
RE: looking for: i need a great but easy chocolate

There are several more mousse recipes at the site below you might want to check out, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mousse

o

This is the one I make when company comes and it's easy!
You can easily add Kahlua or Amaretto to this but I wouldn't...it's just perfect the way it is. It has a great mouth feel.

Dark Chocolate:
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Milk Chocolate:

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

White Chocolate:

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

6 ounces semisweet (or milk or white) chocolate
3 tablespoons butter
4 medium, very fresh eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
whipped cream and chocolate curls; garnish

First, place a stainless steel bowl and a wire whisk in the refrigerator. Then chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a medium, non-stick skillet along with the butter; melt over low heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat to cool slightly.

In a medium size bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tarter and continue to beat gradually adding 2 tablespoons granulated sugar until it forms stiff peaks; set aside.

Stir the egg yolks into the slightly warm chocolate in the skillet, 1 at a time.

Using the chilled bowl and whisk, beat (dont use a mixer) 1/2 cup heavy cream until it begins to foam and gradually add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar then vanilla. Continue beating just until stiff peaks; do not over beat.
Gradually and gently fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites then gently fold that mixture into whipped cream in cold bowl. Do not over work the mousse! Spoon into 4 martini glasses, cover and chill at least 2 hours. Garnish as desired.

Marilyn

o

If you have a blender, this recipe is for you.

2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold milk
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup hot milk
I cup whipping cream
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. rum, cognac, or any liquor or liquore of your choice.
1 cup ice cubes or crushed ice
sweetened whipped cream for topping
chocolate curls, strawberries or your choice of garnish, if desired
Sprinkle gelatin over cold milk in 5 or more cup blender.
Let stand 'til gelatin granules are moistened.
Add chocolate chips and hot milk. Cover and blend at low speed 'til chocolate chips are melted, about 2 minutes.
Add whipping cream, eggs, sugar and liquor or liquore.
Cover and whirl at high speed til well mixed.
With blender still running, remove center cap of lid and add ice cudes or crushed ice a little at a time, and whirl 'til ice is melted.
Pour into individual dessert dishes and chill until set, about 1/2 hour.
Garnish with dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Top with a garnish, if desired.
NOTE: Do not serve to anyone with egg allergy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here