Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quirkpod

LOOKING for: Trifle - no mention of how long to make ahead

Lavoie Boho
14 years ago

Are they made strictly fresh or can you make them 24 hours in advance? I am making a cherry pie filling trifle with pound cake, vanilla pudding and cool whip, topped with walnuts. I hesitate to make it too far in advance. Any experience? Please share your trifle recipes here.

Comments (7)

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I haven't made trifle for a long time but I think it would be fine if you put it in the fridge the evening before the day you want to serve it, since all trifles need to be some time in the fridge to set and chill.

Here are some good choices from an English cook....Delia Smith.
    I haven't tried her trifle but other recipes of hers have turned out well. Check through them to see if she mentions 24 hour chilling.

Delia Online.

SharonCb

• lindac
    14 years ago

I think a trifle is always better for standing in the fridge over night.
    Linda C

• olliem
    14 years ago

Here's a recipe given to me by an English friend years ago. I usually assemble it the day before serving, except for the final whipped cream topping which I add not more than a couple of hours before serving. You can vary the fruits and gelatin flavors as desired. It looks complicated but, because it's assembled in sections, it really is easy and doesn't take a lot of preparation time.

Lady fingers or pound cake
    1 16-oz. can peaches
    1 16-oz. can apricots
    1 16-oz. pears
    1 jar maraschino cherries
    2 or 3 bananas
    1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
    1 6-oz. pkg strawberry Jello (regular or sugar free)
    2 3-oz. pkgs. vanilla pudding (cooked or instant type) or Bird's Dessert Powder (an English custard mix available at some gourmet shops)
    1 8-oz. carton heavy whipping cream

Line bottom of trifle bowl or other large clear serving dish with the lady fingers or sliced pound cake.
    Drain the canned fruits, saving the juices to use when mixing the Jello. Cut the canned peaches, apricots, and pears into small pieces. Half the maraschino cherries. Slice the bananas and strawberries (reserving a few for a decorative topping, if desired).
    Mix the fruits and nuts together and spread over the lady fingers or pound cake.
    Mix the Jello according to package instructions, adding water to the reserved fruit juices to make the amount of liquid called for. Pour the Jello over the fruit/cake and refrigerate until Jello is set.
    Prepare the pudding. (If using Bird's Dessert Powder, make approximately 4 cups of custard). Let the mixture cool a few minutes, then carefully pour it over the Jello/fruit,cake mixture. Let set overnight or until completely chilled.
    Beat the whipping cream until stiff, adding a small amount of sugar while beating. Spread the whipped cream over the trifle, decorate with strawberries if desired, and serve.

• snolady
    14 years ago

Here's a Paula Deen recipe at this link

Here is a link that might be useful:

• snolady
    14 years ago

Loads of trifle recipes here at this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trifle Recipes

• motherhubbard
    14 years ago

I plan to prepare the english trifle recipe for our weekly Bible study this Sat. night. Do I add the juices from the canned fruits to water to amount for the directions for the jello and heat or what? Thanks in advance for help with this.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County