Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Trifle - no mention of how long to make ahead

Posted by quirkpod (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 20:12

Are they made strictly fresh or can you make them 24 hours in advance? I am making a cherry pie filling trifle with pound cake, vanilla pudding and cool whip, topped with walnuts. I hesitate to make it too far in advance. Any experience? Please share your trifle recipes here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Trifle - no mention of how long to make ahead

I haven't made trifle for a long time but I think it would be fine if you put it in the fridge the evening before the day you want to serve it, since all trifles need to be some time in the fridge to set and chill.

Here are some good choices from an English cook....Delia Smith.
I haven't tried her trifle but other recipes of hers have turned out well. Check through them to see if she mentions 24 hour chilling.

Delia Online.

SharonCb

o

I think a trifle is always better for standing in the fridge over night.
Linda C

o

Here's a recipe given to me by an English friend years ago. I usually assemble it the day before serving, except for the final whipped cream topping which I add not more than a couple of hours before serving. You can vary the fruits and gelatin flavors as desired. It looks complicated but, because it's assembled in sections, it really is easy and doesn't take a lot of preparation time.

Lady fingers or pound cake
1 16-oz. can peaches
1 16-oz. can apricots
1 16-oz. pears
1 jar maraschino cherries
2 or 3 bananas
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
1 6-oz. pkg strawberry Jello (regular or sugar free)
2 3-oz. pkgs. vanilla pudding (cooked or instant type) or Bird's Dessert Powder (an English custard mix available at some gourmet shops)
1 8-oz. carton heavy whipping cream

Line bottom of trifle bowl or other large clear serving dish with the lady fingers or sliced pound cake.
Drain the canned fruits, saving the juices to use when mixing the Jello. Cut the canned peaches, apricots, and pears into small pieces. Half the maraschino cherries. Slice the bananas and strawberries (reserving a few for a decorative topping, if desired).
Mix the fruits and nuts together and spread over the lady fingers or pound cake.
Mix the Jello according to package instructions, adding water to the reserved fruit juices to make the amount of liquid called for. Pour the Jello over the fruit/cake and refrigerate until Jello is set.
Prepare the pudding. (If using Bird's Dessert Powder, make approximately 4 cups of custard). Let the mixture cool a few minutes, then carefully pour it over the Jello/fruit,cake mixture. Let set overnight or until completely chilled.
Beat the whipping cream until stiff, adding a small amount of sugar while beating. Spread the whipped cream over the trifle, decorate with strawberries if desired, and serve.

o

Here's a Paula Deen recipe at this link

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

o
RE: trifle recipes

Loads of trifle recipes here at this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trifle Recipes

o

I plan to prepare the english trifle recipe for our weekly Bible study this Sat. night. Do I add the juices from the canned fruits to water to amount for the directions for the jello and heat or what? Thanks in advance for help with this.

o

A "real" trifle doesn't use canned fruit nor jello.
If you wwant to make an easy, but good trifle dessert, make one of those one layer yellow cake mixes.
Then make a batch of vanilla pudding based on 2 cups of milk....scratch is best, but cooked Jello pudding is good too and instant Jello pudding if you are pressed for time.
Then you need fruit....right now strawberries are good. Buy a pound to 1 1/2 pounds of strawberries, slice and toss with 2 to 3 tablespoons of sugar and refrigerate.
Then there's the whipped cream....real cream, whipped is best, but Kool whip will work as well as non dairy kool whip for those who have the "milk problem" like I do.
So cut the cake into 1/2 inch thick slices, layer it into a pretty bowl, add some of the berries and juice and some pudding, more cake, berries and pudding....and top with whipped cream.
Refrigerate so it all melds together....and yum!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here