Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Vanilla Ice cream?

Posted by tnflower_lover (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 19:47

Looking for a good homemade vanilla ice cream recipe, or at least what is = to 4oz. of sugar, how do I measure this in cup(s)
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Vanilla Ice cream?

Don't understand what you want? What should be equal to 4 oz of sugar? Do you mean a recipe for ice cream that would use 4 oz of sugar?
You measure 4 oz of sugar on a scale. or roughly in a cup measure. 4 oz liquid measure is not too far off 4 oz weight measure...a little more.
Linda C

o

A cup of sugar would be 7 oz by my scale so that should give you an approximate measure of what 4 oz would be.
Here's a vanilla ice cream recipe I like:
HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM (1 1/2 gallons)
1 qt milk
3 cups sugar
5 3ggs, beaten
1 TBL vanilla
3 cups half-and-half
3 cups whipping cream
Optional: toasted coconut, toasted almonds, Kahlua

Heat milk & sugar in a suacepan until hot & sugar is dissolved. Do not boil. Stir a little of the hot milk into the beaten eggs. Add eggs to remaining hot milk in saucepan & stir well. Remove from heat & cool. Add vanilla & refrigerate. (Keeps for several days.) When ready to freeze, stir in half-and-half, whipping cream & any optional ingredients. Pour into a hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze per manufacturer's directions.~~ (If you have a small freezer, keep the mixture in the refrigerator & make as needed.)

o

This one is good.

Basic Rich Ice Cream

2 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk
4 eggs
cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 cups sugar
tsp salt
6 cups whipping cream
2 Tbsp vanilla

Heat 2 cups each of cream and milk to scalding in top of double boiler over direct heat. Set over (not in) simmering water.

Beat eggs slightly in bowl. Stir in condensed milk, sugar and salt. Blend in half of the hot cream mixture gradually. Pour mixture into top of double boiler and blend with remaining cream mixture.

Cook over simmering water until mixture coats a metal spoon (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. Cool. Stir in 6 cups cream and vanilla. Chill well.

Pour cream mixture into 6-quart ice cream maker can and proceed according to directions. Makes 1 gallon.

NOTE: If desired, some of the ice cream can be stored in plastic containers in an electric freezer.

o

Thank you both so much. I am making 2 batches tonight and will use both recipes.
Thank you again
Cara

o

I did get the one posted by ginger_st_thomas done. The first time i tried my IC maker went out, bought a new one, thank you again for the recipe it is very good better and richer than store bought. I am going to make khandi's this weekend.

o

Glad you liked it.

o

PURE RICH VANILLA ICE CREAM

4 cups heavy cream
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
2 T. of good pure vanilla extract
2 cups half & half

Place all ingredients in a large chilled bowl, and mix well.
Transfer to your ice cream maker and follow their directions.

I still use my grandmothers old fashioned wood, hand cranked ice cream maker:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here