Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Sweet potato casserole

Posted by finchelover (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 18:44

can someone help. I want to know how to make it by using sweetpatotoes cooked in water,then cooled,sliced [not mashed)and then layer with butter and brown sugar and topped with marshmellows. Is that the right routine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Sweet potato casserole

Just do it....
Peel the sweet potatoes....then simmer in water until they can easily be pierced with a fork.
Then butter a casserole, slice the potatoes and put a layer in the dish, sprinkle with a little salt, sprinkle a little ( or a lot) of brown sugar...add another layer and salt and brown sugar....drizzle it all with melted butter...put into the oven at 350 and bake for 25 to 30 minutes...
Remove from the oven and turn the temperature of the oven to 425 and line up marshmallows on top. Bake until browned about 15 minutes....maybe less.
I also think a sprinkle of cinnamon would be good before you add the marshmallows....or perhaps ginger.
Linda C

o

Thanks lindac: I just kinda forgot how it went,also about using cinnamon. They are stressing more and more for people to use cinnamon how good it is for us.

o

Honey and cinnamon are said to lower blood pressure, among other benefits ( have it in the morning usually with waffles) plus sweet potatoes being good for you, a good dish to make.

For healthier version, use bit of honey, brown sugar, fresh orange juice,bit vanilla, cinnamon, bit of unsalted butter, favorite nuts if you like, top with buttered nuts mixed with some brown sugar, all to taste.
I just avoid white sugar and use pinch of sea or kosher salt.

Make your own version according to your own taste.

Happy Easter all!

o

Another idea...instead of marshmallows use beaten eggwhites mixed with a bit of Splenda. I don't use salt in sweet potato dishes but when I do use it its little sea salt.

Bea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here