Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

LOOKING for: Lemon Poppyseed scones

earthlydelights
17 years ago

I recently taste-tested the most delicious lemon poppyseed scones, melt in your mouth fabulous ~~ almost cake like and not dry at all.

Someone, anyone...got a great recipe for them?

Thanks,

Maryanne

Comments (7)

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Maryanne, this is my favourite scone recipe. I've added lemon and poppyseeds as well as tried a number of other variations. It is very versatile. If you want a more cake like scone then add an egg to the cream and reduce the cream a little.

Ann

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Raspberry Scones
    ================

2 1/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 Tbsp. cold butter
    1 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup fresh raspberries
    extra cream and sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and
    salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a
    course meal. Add cream and raspberries to dry ingredients. Mix lightly
    with fork until mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead on floured board
    just to incorporate all flour; try not to damage berries.

Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart
    on greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
    Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Note: When adding fruit to the scone mixture, make sure the raspberries
    or blueberries are frozen. Otherwise you end up with crushed fruit.
    Still tastes as good, but not as pretty. I usually add the cream and
    when the dough has almost come together I add the frozen fruit. With
    the Chocolate you can add it along with the cream.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ann, thanks - they look delicious.

but being challenged, i have a question. how would i do this without the fruit and use the lemon and poppyseed instead? would i use the same amount of poppyseed that is called for in fruit (3/54 cup) and do i take away some of the cream to amount for the lemon juice?

last but not least, are these cake-like?

thanks
    maryanne

• ann_t
    17 years ago

If you want them cakey, add an egg.

There is a lot of poppyseeds in just a tablespoon. Just grate the zest off a lemon and add a tablespoon of poppyseeds. If it doesn't look like enough with one tablespoon you can always add a little more.

Ann

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

Maryanne, these are the best scones..do as Ann says..and you will not be sorry!
    LOL
    I make this recipe all kinds of ways, and I love them without the addition of the egg...They are melt in your mouth good as is!
    They freeze really well, and hubby reheats his in the micro for just a few seconds...
    They are a must in this house!

• recipesaver2
    17 years ago

Here is the one I have in my file, but the one Ann posted looks delicious.
    recipesaver2

LEMON-POPPY SEED SCONES
    "My boyfriend just introduced me to Ledbetters', a breakfast restaurant in nearby New Milford," writes Lawren Hubal of Monroe, Connecticut. "Every morning, owners Julie and David Ledbetter make scones, and the lemon-poppy seed ones are out of this world. I'd love to make those scones at home."
    3 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
    3 tablespoons poppy seeds
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    1 teaspoon salt
    10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/3 cup (or more) whole milk

Preheat oven to 375°F. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. Add 1/3 cup milk. Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry. Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
    Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

Makes 8 scones.
    Bon Appétit
    R.S.V.P.
    March 2002
    Julie and David Ledbetter
    Ledbetters', New Milford, CT

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Those Lemon Poppyseed Scones sound great. Thanks for sharing that recipe with us.
    RL`

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

recipesavor. thanks for that recipe. that's the one i used.

next time, if i use that same recipe, my only change would be to use less poppy seed. i did add additional lemon juice and rind. for some reason, my scones came out flat ~~cookie like which was fine, because they were delicious and they improved in taste as the days wore on. maybe i overmixed or something. not sure why they took on that shape.

i put ann's recipe away for the next time.

maryanne

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm