Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Lemon Poppyseed scones

Posted by earthlydelights (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 17:51

I recently taste-tested the most delicious lemon poppyseed scones, melt in your mouth fabulous ~~ almost cake like and not dry at all.

Someone, anyone...got a great recipe for them?

Thanks,
Maryanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Lemon Poppyseed scones

Maryanne, this is my favourite scone recipe. I've added lemon and poppyseeds as well as tried a number of other variations. It is very versatile. If you want a more cake like scone then add an egg to the cream and reduce the cream a little.

Ann

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Raspberry Scones
================

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tbsp. cold butter
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
extra cream and sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and
salt. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender until it resembles a
course meal. Add cream and raspberries to dry ingredients. Mix lightly
with fork until mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead on floured board
just to incorporate all flour; try not to damage berries.

Roll into 7-inch round and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place 1 inch apart
on greased baking sheet; brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Note: When adding fruit to the scone mixture, make sure the raspberries
or blueberries are frozen. Otherwise you end up with crushed fruit.
Still tastes as good, but not as pretty. I usually add the cream and
when the dough has almost come together I add the frozen fruit. With
the Chocolate you can add it along with the cream.

o

ann, thanks - they look delicious.

but being challenged, i have a question. how would i do this without the fruit and use the lemon and poppyseed instead? would i use the same amount of poppyseed that is called for in fruit (3/54 cup) and do i take away some of the cream to amount for the lemon juice?

last but not least, are these cake-like?

thanks
maryanne

o

If you want them cakey, add an egg.

There is a lot of poppyseeds in just a tablespoon. Just grate the zest off a lemon and add a tablespoon of poppyseeds. If it doesn't look like enough with one tablespoon you can always add a little more.

Ann

o

Maryanne, these are the best scones..do as Ann says..and you will not be sorry!
LOL
I make this recipe all kinds of ways, and I love them without the addition of the egg...They are melt in your mouth good as is!
They freeze really well, and hubby reheats his in the micro for just a few seconds...
They are a must in this house!

o

Here is the one I have in my file, but the one Ann posted looks delicious.
recipesaver2

LEMON-POPPY SEED SCONES
"My boyfriend just introduced me to Ledbetters', a breakfast restaurant in nearby New Milford," writes Lawren Hubal of Monroe, Connecticut. "Every morning, owners Julie and David Ledbetter make scones, and the lemon-poppy seed ones are out of this world. I'd love to make those scones at home."
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup (or more) whole milk

Preheat oven to 375F. Position rack in top third of oven. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg and lemon juice in medium bowl to blend. Add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. Add 1/3 cup milk. Using on/off turns, process just until dough comes together, adding more milk if dough seems dry. Using floured hands, gather dough into ball. Flatten into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to large baking sheet; brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake until scones are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

Makes 8 scones.
Bon Apptit
R.S.V.P.
March 2002
Julie and David Ledbetter
Ledbetters', New Milford, CT

o

Those Lemon Poppyseed Scones sound great. Thanks for sharing that recipe with us.
RL`

o

recipesavor. thanks for that recipe. that's the one i used.

next time, if i use that same recipe, my only change would be to use less poppy seed. i did add additional lemon juice and rind. for some reason, my scones came out flat ~~cookie like which was fine, because they were delicious and they improved in taste as the days wore on. maybe i overmixed or something. not sure why they took on that shape.

i put ann's recipe away for the next time.

maryanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here