Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danain

RECIPE: Another one for the Pork Tenderloin lovers

danain
18 years ago

This is the second time I've made this and it has climbed to the top of the list for Paul and me. (Although I love the Island Pork Tenderloin too!) Great company dish.

{{!gwi}}

The rub:

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon dried rosemary

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 whole pork tenderloin, silver skin removed

1 tablespoon olive oil

The Sauce:

1 tablespoon butter

1 shallot (or small onion); minced

2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

2 tablespoon Cognac

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

2 tablespoon tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth or stock

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)

In a small bowl combine paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, rosemary, salt and pepper. Reserving 1 tablespoon of the rub mixture, sprinkle the remaining all over both pieces of meat. Let the pork stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour before cooking.

In a large, heavy frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the tenderloins, cooking and turning often until browned on all sides and internal temperature reaches 140° watching closely because the paprika will burn. (This can be done on the grill.) Transfer the tenderloins to a platter and let rest tented loosely with foil while you make the sauce.

In another pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the shallot, sauté until softened about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley and Cognac. Return to heat and simmer for another 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the Dijon mustard, tomato paste, chicken broth and reserved 1 tablespoon rub. Continue to simmer while stirring often to reduce the sauce by half, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the cream and cayenne to taste. Add any accumulated juices from the pork to the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Slice pork and spoon on sauce.

*This recipe was originally from Williams Sonoma and for beef tenderloin. I swapped out the beef broth for chicken. We felt this was too over powering for beef tenderloin...we're purist.

Marilyn

Comments (14)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    18 years ago

Marilyn - this sounds wonderful. We are having neighbors over for dinner this weekend for the first time. I know they eat pork tenderloin because we had it at their house last year. What is the weight of the pork, approximately? There are usually 2 tenderloins in the package I find. And how many people would this serve??

Thanks for posting!

seagrass

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The recipe is for the 2 pieces but I always just cook one for Paul and I, cutting the recipe in half and there are usually only 3 slices left. For company I would do the whole and with sides that would probably serve 6 unless they are really big eaters:)

• canarybird01
    18 years ago

Sounds like another winner Marilyn. We love pork tenderloin and am always happy to try another sauce. (Although you will have noticed we are totally addicted to cooking them in your Gourmet Sauce!)

Cutting and pasting this one. Thanks.

SharonCb

• caliloo
    18 years ago

Oh YUM!

I have a tenderloin defrosting for dinner tonight and this is going to be the recipe I use. Thanks for posting it!

Alexa

• homesforsale
    18 years ago

Well we love cognac in our sauces so all I needed was your photo:)

Thank you!

Would adding quartered mushrooms be too much?

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mushrooms would be good I think;)
    I had trouble with the photo, I tried to take a picture {{!gwi}} but I just don't know enough about my camera settings to make it work. Sharon or Monique, can you offer me a suggestion? Your's always look beautiful.

Marilyn

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sharon, since you like the gourmet sauce so much I'll bet you would like the Island Pork Tenderloin Salad from Epicurious that I posted before!

Marilyn

• caliloo
    18 years ago

Marilyn

I posted on the WFD thread on the CF that I made this last night and it was awesome! Definitely a keeper.

Alexa

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Alexa, I haven't read that thread in a while. I'm so happy you liked it! If you have any leftovers it's great the next day too.

Marilyn:)

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

Looks very good--another keeper. Thx

• woodie
    18 years ago

Well, Marilyn, you already know that I'm copying this recipe, don't you? I seem to have the same taste buds as you (well except for salmon LOL). The other day while we were on our way home from Florida to New York, we ate in a wonderful restaurant called "Emily's" in Beaufort, SC. I had "Steak Au Poivre" and it had a very well seasoned Cognac/cream sauce. I don't know if that is customary with all the pepper for Steak Au Poivre, but it tasted just fantastic to me!

Thank you for this recipe.

• homesforsale
    18 years ago

It was delish!

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Moniqueb, I'm happy you liked it.
    Woodie, I know you will like it too. I love cooking with Cognac. I always used brandy until I discovered Cognac...it really makes the difference.

Marilyn

• caliloo
    18 years ago

Leftovers? HA!

I have 2 growing boys and a DH that eats like a growing boy. Only problem is he is growing in the wrong direction LOL!

No, no leftovers here I'm afraid. I had to wrestle the menfolk just to get a smallish serving! LOLOLOL! It was absolutely delish and I had the last little bit of sauce over brown rice. Tried to rpetend it was more healthy that way. Hee hee hee!

Alexa

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH