Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danain

RECIPE: Raspberry Bars

danain
17 years ago

Lately I've been trying to lighten up or make things a little more healthy so after the Bar Cookie thread I decided it would be a fun challenge to try it with Roselin's Raspberry Bars. Well, they turned out pretty darn good! Thank you Roselin.

{{!gwi}}

(I made 1/2 recipe in a 8-inch square pan and baked them for 40 minutes until the center was set when I moved the pan.)

2 1/2c all purpose flour (I used 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour plus 1/2 cup almond flour(finely ground almonds)

1 c sugar (I used 1/4 cup dark brown sugar plus 1/4 cup granulated)

1 c chopped pecans OR walnuts (I totally forgot these, I would have used 1/2 cup)

1 c butter, softened (I used 1/4 cup butter plus 1/4 cup extra light olive oil)

1 egg (I used 1 egg white)

1 10 jar raspberry preserves (I just eyeballed this)

Preheat oven to 350°

Grease a 9x13" baking pan (I didn't grease the pan). In a large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients except preserves. Beat at low speed until mixture is crumbly about 2-3 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 c of crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into baking pan.

Spread preserves to within 1/2" from edges of the unbaked crumb mixture. Crumble remaining crumb mix over preserves.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or til lightly browned. Cool completely and cut into bars.

Roselin/Marilyn

Comments (9)

• roselin32
    17 years ago

No, you will have to take all the credit for those, Marilyn-I have to go with the full fat recipe!! And the nuts really do add a nice flavor to the crust and topping.
    RL`

• jenn
    17 years ago

Those are beautiful!

• lsr2002
    17 years ago

These look great Marilyn. I've made Roselin's original recipe three times and we loved them. Everyone I served them to at a meeting wanted the recipe.

But we're trying to lighten up too. I don't make desserts often; I'm saving this to try and compare.

Thanks,

Lee

• danain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was just a fun test but I wish I wouldn't have missed the nuts! Lee, I will be interested to hear how they compare to the original. These came out somewhat chewy around the edges, yum. I had two this morning with coffee before breakfast.

Marilyn

• canarybird01
    17 years ago

They look wonderful Marilyn.

I will have to wait to try them until after I've lost my first 20 lbs LOL. However I know Wolf would love me to make a batch just for him.

But you did a good job of cutting down on the 'dangerous' ingredients. Saturday I bought a bag of ground almond flour with the intention of using it more for breading and as a flour replacement where it would work.

Cutting and pasting this one for the future.

SharonCb

• stacy3
    17 years ago

Marilyn, I saw these that Monique made - came looking. They look wonderful! And thanks for the alterations. I looooove raspberries!

Stacy

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Marilyn, I am making Roselin's recipe tonight but I'd like to make your recipe for us later. dh won't know the difference I'm sure but our hearts and waists might.

Is there a reason you use the almond flour as opposed to all whole wheat pastry? I know I can get the latter and I can certainly pulverize almond in the fp...but is there a reason?

I guess I can trust your tastebuds to assure me that there is no 'olive oil' taste in the final product! Mama Mia...that's a bella rasberrio bar! ;-) Maureen

• danain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maureen, there is no olive oil taste because I used extra-light olive oil. You could use canola oil.
    As far as the ground almonds, I make a really good chocolate chip cookie with the ground almonds so I thought the flavor would be good. Turns out that since I forgot to put the nuts in there, at least I got the health benefit anyway:) I could easily use whole wheat in place.

BTW, here is that cookie recipe:

{{!gwi}} (A healthier, and oh so good chocolate chip cookie.)

3/4 cup ground almonds*
    1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    1/4 cup extra-light olive oil (or canola oil)
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and have another baking sheet ready. Line wire racks with paper from brown paper sacks and place on the counter.

*Grind almonds in the blender or a food processor into a fine powder to make 3/4 cup almond flour. Place almond flour in a medium bowl along with whole-wheat flour, soda and salt; stir to combine.

Beat butter and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugars and egg and beat until creamy; beat in vanilla. With the mixer running on low, add the dry ingredients until just combined. Using a spoon, stir in chocolate chips.

Drop dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheet using a very small scoop or 1 heaping teaspoonful, at least 2 inches apart. Always place cookie dough onto a cooled baking sheet. Bake until the cookies puff up and then fall back down and become light brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest on baking sheet for one minute before removing to brown paper bag line racks to cool completely. Makes 40 cookies. Inspired from BevÂs Cookies "Eating Well" magazine.

*Store in the freezer for soft, chewy cookies. Store at room temperature for crispy cookies

Marilyn

• msazadi
    17 years ago

That's a post vacation To Try recipe Marilyn. Thanks, they look and sound yummy. Maureen