Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

LOOKING for: fish stew (not chowder)

Carol_Ann
17 years ago

I have a recipe for fish stew that's really good -- chunks of fish, a tomato base (no dairy), onions... the recipe called for bacon, too, although I often omitted that. I can't remember what else was in it or I'd just try to recreate it without the recipe. All my cookbooks are in storage a gazillion miles away (well, 2600 miles away, feels like a gazillion!) and I don't have the recipe... has anyone made something like this? I would love to make it again. Many thanks for any help!!

Comments (2)

• danain
    17 years ago

Carol Ann, here is mine and we love it! I actually served it for company:

Cioppino (Seafood Stew)

{{!gwi}}

3 slices bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 small, sweet bell pepper; diced
    1 medium onion; diced
    2 cloves garlic; minced
    1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry
    14.5-oz Italian seasoned chopped tomatoes
    1 (8 oz.) bottle clam juice
    1/2 pound fresh salmon cut into bite-size pieces
    4 or 6 large scallops or 1/4 pound small
    16 to 20 bite-size shrimp; shelled & cleaned
    kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    hand full fresh parsley leaves; chopped

In a medium sauce pan, fry bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside leaving drippings in the pot. Sauté onion and bell pepper in bacon drippings in pot until softened. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine and simmer until wine is nearly all evaporated. Stir in clam juice and Italian seasoned tomatoes, cover and reduce heat to low simmering to blend flavored for 20 to 30minutes.

(At this point you can make this Seafood Bisque by pureeing tomato mixture in the blender until smooth-carefully filling blender container no more than 1/3 full at a time. Return pureed soup to pot along with 1/2 cup heavy cream and continue with recipe.){{!gwi}}

When ready to serve, stir in salmon, scallops and shrimp; cover until fish is cooked 4 to 6 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Do not overcook after adding the seafood. Stir in reserved bacon and fresh chopped parsley, serve immediately. *Also good with halibut, lobster, clams, mussels, etc.

Marilyn

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

My DD used to call this "television stew" because I would always julienne most of the vegetables while we were watching TV the night before I made the stew.

FISH STEW

2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 large onion, cut in half crosswise and cut lengthwise into thin slivers
    1 large unpeeled zucchini, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 peeled carrot, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    1 large stalk celery, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    3 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half crosswise and cut lengthwise into thin slivers
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 pound firm white fish, cut crosswise into strips 1 inch wide
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, garlic, carrot and celery; saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.

Stir in tomatoes, wine, broth and parsley. Cover, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add fish, stirring gently. Cover and cook another 5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. 4 servings.