Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodie2

RECIPE: Blue Cheese Onions Gratin

woodie
16 years ago

I just typed this up for a friend of mine and so I thought I'd post it - its really quite yummy. I've made it a few times and we just had it last night with steak. Thanks, Debbie814 for surprising me with the gift of this cookbook a while ago, it was a great surprise!

BLUE CHEESE ONIONS GRATIN

(A zesty accompaniment to grilled or broiled steak)

2 large Spanish onions (about 1 pound)

6 ounces blue cheese, broken into pieces

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425 and position oven rack to the center of the oven. Generously butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Slice onions and place evenly in prepared baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients together and spread evenly over onions with a spatula.

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then broil briefly until top is browned and bubbly. (Watch carefully to avoid burning.)

Source: A Matter of Taste 1989, The Junior League Cookbook of Morristown, New Jersey

Woodie's Notes: I would say I "dollop" the cheese topping on, rather than spread it with a spatula and I have never needed to broil the top, it comes out fine for me after just baking so I omit that step, I don't think its necessary.

Comments (14)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Oh, that sounds great. That's why I like Jr. League Cookbooks. I'll save that one.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

About how many would this serve?

• woodie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginger it says that it serves 4 but I think that as an accompaniment to a meat, my opinion would be it serves 8 people. Last night I made 1/2 of a large onion and we still had leftovers. Of course we also had the steak, mashed potatoes, mushrooms a veg and a salad.

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

This sounds really good - are Spanish onions red onions? I don't think I've ever seen any onions in our grocery store labeled as "Spanish".

Becky

• lindac
    16 years ago

That's also good made on top of a biscuit crust...butter the baking dish, make your biscuit dough and pat into the bottom of the dish no more than 1/2 an inch thick at the most..and proceed as above.
    I don't use that much w'shire and use red pepper instead of black and add a crushed clove of garlic....or 2.
    The biscuit absorbs all that greasey cheesey goo!...Yum!!
    I use it as an appetiser.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Becky, they aren't the red onions. Just use those big regular onions.

• debbie814
    16 years ago

Woddie, this recipe sounds like a winner. Glad you are finding the cookbook useful.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

Spanish onions are not red. They look like regular yellow onions, just larger. Flavor is about the same.

They are great for recipes that need a lot of onions cut up, as it is faster and easier to cut up a few large onions that a lot of smaller ones. Things like French Onion soup, goulash, etc.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Oh YUM!

I am definitely hanging on to this one for the next steak fest!

Alexa

• valorie
    16 years ago

I think this would also be a good topping for hamburgers!! Blue cheese and onions? Yuuummmmyyyy!!!

• woodie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, that's a great idea about the biscuit crust!

Speaking of Linda, LOL, here's another great blue cheese recipe that goes great with grilled beef.

Linda C's Blue Cheese Marinated Onions

Slice 4 sweet onions into a bowl and separate into rings.

Mix:

1/2 cup EVOO
    2 T fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp salt ( I omit that!)
    3 oz crumbled Maytag Blue cheese

Mix and pour over onion rings and refrigerate for at least 8 hours....stirring occasionally.

• dragonfly2
    16 years ago

Oh Woodie I am salivating here.. that sounds delicious! I may buy some steaks and have it for tonight.. oh I am sooo suggestive! and by the way,, how the heck are you??

• woodie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Dragonfly! I'm just fine, how the heck are YOU? Coming down the shore anytime soon?

• dragonfly2
    16 years ago

Yes Woodie, as a matter of "coming down the shore" in September...Cape May.