Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jigsaw_gw

RECIPE: Mexican Style Nacho White Cheese Dip

jigsaw
16 years ago

Does anyone know where to buy?, and the brand name of the cheese they use for nacho dip, in the Mexican resterants, and a recipe for it? It is a white cheese dip,some call it goat cheese, I think. Can you buy it in the grocery store, whats the brand name and recipe? Thanks

Comments (12)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Asadero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican dip

• jigsaw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What I am talking about is just a plan white creamy cheese dip, that you ask for when they bring your chips and salsa out, No onions or peppers to be seen in it.
    All of the about, 7 different Mexican resturants around this area N. Ga. serve the same kind. Just plain white cheese dip that has a film on top of it, creamy.

• khandi
    16 years ago

Tell them that you have so many allergies that you need to know what's in the dip! LOL

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

This recipe was recently posted on the cooking forum.

The first set of ingredients make up a basic Mexican White Cheese Dipping sauce.

This recipe adds salsa in with the white dip and tops with a Pico de Gallo but you can omit the salsa and just make the dip. I would be inclined to add a few diced green chiles but that's up to you.

Rita's Queso from Rita's on the River in San Antonio

Originally posted by Brenda55 on the Cooking Forum.

Brenda's notes: This recipe was in the SA paper several months ago and a reader had asked for this recipe from Rita's on the River because it was "the best queso we have ever eaten". I just recently fixed it and it was for us also the best queso. I changed the recipe somewhat for the heat impaired in my house and served the pica de gallo on top, which I really liked as it added the crunch with the creamy queso. I hope you enjoy as much as we did. I also halved the recipe and we still had enough left to serve over some soft tacos the next night.

Can be cut in half or thirds

Rita's Queso

3 Lb white American cheese ( Use Queso Blanco Instead )
    2 Cup half and half
    1 Cup heavy cream
    1 Cup sour cream
    1 Cup salsa (your favorite recipe)
    1-1/2 T. Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or your favorite seasoning)
    1 Tbl Tabasco sauce

Pico de Gallo

2 Cups ripe tomatoes chopped
    1/2 Cup chopped onions
    2 Tbl minced fresh jalapeno or serrano chiles
    2-3 T. chopped fresh cilantro
    3 Tbl fresh lime juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

For queso: cut white cheese into 1 to 2 inch cubes, set aside. Combine all ingredients, except cheese and Pico de Gallo in microwave-safe dish. Add cheese and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stop and stir and repeat twice; then reduce to 2 minutes until mixture is hot and well mixed.

Recipe can be reduced by half or a third.

Pico de Gallo

Combine tomatoes, onions, chiles, salt, cilantro and lime juice in bowl.

Let set for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Drain before placing on top of queso.

Food editor's notes: It can also be made in a slow cooker to keep it hot and to avoid a skin forming on the surface. You can adjust the heat level easily with salsa, pico de gallo and Tabasco.

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Another vote for Rita's Queso. I made it with Land O' Lakes White American cheese - I bought a block of it from the deli at Publix. That stuff is highly addictive!

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

I lived in Marietta, GA, for 9 years. I've never had such bad Mexican food in my life! Green peppers used in place of Ancho peppers, cheap, cheap, cheap! Go with the good recipes that people on this forum provide. I grow my own Ancho peppers and make really decent Mexican food. I'm from Colorado and the Mexican food in Atlanta should be fed to the dogs.

Yes, I had my fill of cheap Mexican food in Atlanta! The single, best exception was a restaurant named "La Paz". Awesome! When we visit friends, we always visit La Paz. Really, really good Mexican food!

• jigsaw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks chase,
    Where can you buy the Queso Blanco?

• melonpocky
    16 years ago

I'm not sure how it works in Georgia, but in Texas queso blanco is usually in one of three refrigerated places: next to the Italian "pasta" cheeses (Ricotta, Parmesan, Asiago, etc); next to the sliced "loaf" cheeses (Kraft singles, sandwich singles, etc); or inexplicably in the "international" section (Brie, goat cheeses, etc). I'm pretty sure I've seen it in some grocery stores in Virginia and Ohio, so it's possible that you can find it in Georgia. If not in regular grocery stores, look for Latin groceries. Queso blanco might be slightly different in, say, Puerto Rico or Panama than it is in Mexico (Mexican tends to be saltier, or so I have been told) but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

I will note that queso blanco will not melt like, say, Velveeta. Its texture is more like melted mozzarella and becomes stretchy and not puddly. I instead recommend asadero or queso Chihuahua (aka queso menonita), as they're more dip-friendly. You should be able to find them sitting next to queso blanco.

Another side note-- while you mentioned that "some call it goat cheese" what you ate is probably not made from goat's milk. Goat cheese has a very distinctive tang to it that seems unlikely to be served in a Mexican-style dip, especially since the one Mexican goat cheese I'm aware of (cotija) isn't very melty and I've seldom seen used as more than a crumbled topping.

Oh my, I think I want some queso now.

• melonpocky
    16 years ago

Ah, and idly Googling brought me to this site:

White Cheese Dip

It has more information than you probably needed, but it was written by someone who was looking for exactly the same thing that you were :3 I hope it helps!

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

I second the Queso Blanco I buy it at my local hispanic market...if you live in a area where there is a hispanic populatin go to there local supermarket youll be amazed...I drive a couple of towns away and shop at BRAVO supermarket there produce section is amazing and spices...I have never seen a cleaner meat display section. I go to the deli section and get a empanada wrapped in tissue and I eat as I shop YUMMY!!!

• tennandy
    15 years ago

queso blanco , you can buy a huge chunk from Sam's cut into sections and freeze it. it's great on anything

• kristinadevinney_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Forget any recipes... This is the EASIEST and best tasting cheese dip I have ever had without having to buy it from a restaurant.. and all you have to add to it is milk...

It's called:
    El Viajero Restaurante Style Mexican Dipping Cheese

It comes in regular (red label) and Jalapeno (Green Label)

You can buy it at Walmart Grocery (Super Walmart).
    If they don't carry it at your location, ask them and they will order it... Or... You can order it from here:

http://www.shopwell.com/el-viajero-restaurante-style-mexican-dipping-jalapeno-cheese/dips/p/7282029337?f=sr&nr=475&sp=143

Here is a link that might be useful: El Viajero Restaurante Style Mexican Dipping Cheese

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath