Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardensewer

LOOKING for: Mustard like Frenches Yellow

gardensewer
14 years ago

I have tried so many recipes for mustards and just can't get that French's yellow type mustard. Need to be able to make my own due to sensitivities of my hubby to the msg in natural flavorings. I would also love to match the Guldens spicy brown mustard tho that one has no natural flavoring according to the ingredients. Anyone have such a thing?

Comments (6)

• lindac
    14 years ago

The several mustards I have in my refrig don't contain MAS or any of the "hydrolized vegetable proteins" that can be a euphemism for MSG. But I don't have French's or Guildens...I have imported Australian mustard and maille etc.
    French's yellow is heavy on tumeric and short on mustard.
    If I were in your position I would make some home made mayonaise ( unless comercial mayo doesn't bother him) and add some Coleman's dry mustard and tumeric to taste.
    For a grainy mustard, get some brown mustard seeds and grind them....mix with a teaspoon of water to make a paste and add to mayo.
    You can make your own emulsions with ground mustard seeds and oil and vinegar but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
    I suggest you try other kinds of mustards....read the labels to find one without "natural flavors".
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

From recipe-greeting cards.com:

French's Yellow Mustard (Copycat)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 teaspoons dry ground mustard
    1/4 cup water
    3 T white distilled vinegar
    1/2 t flour
    1/4 t salt
    1/8 t salt (additional)
    1/8 teaspoon turmeric
    Pinch of paprika

Combine all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth. Bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove pan. Cover until cooled. Keep refrigerated.
    Makes 1/4 cup.

• shambo
    14 years ago

Here's another copycat recipe. It's slightly different from the one Ginger posted. You could make up both recipes and see which one has the better taste and consistency. I'm curious about this topic, so I'd appreciate you posting back your results.

FrenchÂs Yellow Mustard

MAKES 5 (1-TABLESPOON) SERVINGS
    4 teaspoons dry ground mustard
    1/4 cup water
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 teaspoons Wondra flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon turmeric
    Pinch garlic powder
    Pinch paprika
    1tsp. honey or sugar
    1 tsp. oil

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove pan from heat and cover until cool.
    Chill in a covered container.

• gardensewer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! Never tried any with flour in them. That may be the texture issue solution. I don't trust any commercial products. So many things have MSG and say they don't. I feel like the food industry puts MSG into things so our taste buds will be so burned out that we won't notice the poor quality of things. But there are a few things that are the normal that family has gotten used to and I wanted to get as close as possible without the bad things.

• svenetos
    13 years ago

Here is a pretty good mustard recipe. It is from Recipe4Living. http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/mustard_dip.htm

Ingredients

* 8 oz. sour cream
    * 8 oz. brown spicy mustard
    * 8 oz. Miracle Whip
    * 1 pkg. buttermilk Ranch Dressing
    * 1/3 C. sugar
    * 3 Tbs. horseradish
    * 1/2 small onion minced

Directions

Mix and chill.

Yield: approximately 3 1/2 C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe4Living Mustard

• Yeng21
    13 years ago

The sand�s able to appear out bound abundant and it�s got that nice curvature to the bottle. pass4sure hh0-400 It�s acceptable ergonomics. Each morning during the golf season, pass4sure hp0-y24 Michna assigns four aggregation associates to appointment all 18 greens afore the advance opens. pass4sure LOT-914 Each artisan carries two or three alacrity bottles with them, forth with accommodation equipment. pass4sure mb2-632 Not surprisingly, the alacrity bottles weren�t absolutely advised to authority up to the circadian rigors of golf advance maintenance.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets