Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Mustard like Frenches Yellow

Posted by gardensewer (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 14:59

I have tried so many recipes for mustards and just can't get that French's yellow type mustard. Need to be able to make my own due to sensitivities of my hubby to the msg in natural flavorings. I would also love to match the Guldens spicy brown mustard tho that one has no natural flavoring according to the ingredients. Anyone have such a thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Mustard like Frenches Yellow

The several mustards I have in my refrig don't contain MAS or any of the "hydrolized vegetable proteins" that can be a euphemism for MSG. But I don't have French's or Guildens...I have imported Australian mustard and maille etc.
French's yellow is heavy on tumeric and short on mustard.
If I were in your position I would make some home made mayonaise ( unless comercial mayo doesn't bother him) and add some Coleman's dry mustard and tumeric to taste.
For a grainy mustard, get some brown mustard seeds and grind them....mix with a teaspoon of water to make a paste and add to mayo.
You can make your own emulsions with ground mustard seeds and oil and vinegar but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
I suggest you try other kinds of mustards....read the labels to find one without "natural flavors".
Linda C

o

From recipe-greeting cards.com:

French's Yellow Mustard (Copycat)

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
4 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1/4 cup water
3 T white distilled vinegar
1/2 t flour
1/4 t salt
1/8 t salt (additional)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
Pinch of paprika

Combine all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth. Bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove pan. Cover until cooled. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 1/4 cup.

o

Here's another copycat recipe. It's slightly different from the one Ginger posted. You could make up both recipes and see which one has the better taste and consistency. I'm curious about this topic, so I'd appreciate you posting back your results.

Frenchs Yellow Mustard

MAKES 5 (1-TABLESPOON) SERVINGS
4 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons Wondra flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
Pinch garlic powder
Pinch paprika
1tsp. honey or sugar
1 tsp. oil

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove pan from heat and cover until cool.
Chill in a covered container.

o

Thanks! Never tried any with flour in them. That may be the texture issue solution. I don't trust any commercial products. So many things have MSG and say they don't. I feel like the food industry puts MSG into things so our taste buds will be so burned out that we won't notice the poor quality of things. But there are a few things that are the normal that family has gotten used to and I wanted to get as close as possible without the bad things.

o

Here is a pretty good mustard recipe. It is from Recipe4Living. http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/mustard_dip.htm

Ingredients

* 8 oz. sour cream
* 8 oz. brown spicy mustard
* 8 oz. Miracle Whip
* 1 pkg. buttermilk Ranch Dressing
* 1/3 C. sugar
* 3 Tbs. horseradish
* 1/2 small onion minced

Directions

Mix and chill.

Yield: approximately 3 1/2 C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe4Living Mustard

o

The sand�s able to appear out bound abundant and it�s got that nice curvature to the bottle. pass4sure hh0-400 It�s acceptable ergonomics. Each morning during the golf season, pass4sure hp0-y24 Michna assigns four aggregation associates to appointment all 18 greens afore the advance opens. pass4sure LOT-914 Each artisan carries two or three alacrity bottles with them, forth with accommodation equipment. pass4sure mb2-632 Not surprisingly, the alacrity bottles weren�t absolutely advised to authority up to the circadian rigors of golf advance maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here