Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Ground turkey, not meatloaf or chili

Need another ground turkey recipe! I did a search here earlier and I have already "harvested" the turkey meatloaf and white chili recipes: just need to add to the repertoire.

Thinking something meatball, stew, or crumbled and browned in a sauce (do have the meatball and veg stew one: out of most veg except onions, carrots, and potatoes). Do have some frozen vegetables, though just corn and peas. Just came back from a trip and am too tired to go shop.

Trying to cook lowfat, but so far none of us have been keen on ground turkey unless the bland flavor was well-disguised. Have lots of salsa and spices on hand!

Comments (9)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I've never done it....but how about making thin patties and doing it like chicken picata?
    Roll in crumbs brown in a pan ( I guess if you are doing low fat you will need a non stick pan) and sprinkle with the juice of a lemon, some while wine a crushed clove of garlic and some capers. Siik slowly until done and serve with the sauce.
    Would be better with some olive oil....but...

How about turkey patties in adobo sauce? Or turkey patties, browned and served on a bed of shredded lettuce with salsa on top.
    How about crumbling up and browning in a little oil with some chopped onion and a can of mild Rotel tomatoes, simmering until thick and serving over rice?
    Linda C

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cooking in olive oil is fine: I should have said I am trying to use MEATS that are low fat. Not on a diet: just trying to reduce saturated fats from meat. Most of what I like to make involves fatty cuts like pot roast. Trying to improve...

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

These are good...you may want to try them using all turkey.
    This was originally posted as a low cholesterol recipe so you may want to just use regular instead of Omega 3 eggs.

Makes 8 medium patties

1 1/2 lb ground turkey, chicken or a mixture of both (about 700 grams)
    2 slices firm wholegrain brown bread torn into small bits
    2 omega 3 (low cholesterol) eggs, beaten
    1 small onion - minced
    1 TBS finely minced almonds or ground almond (optional)
    1/4 teasp dry mustard eg. Colman's
    1/8 teasp ground sage (optional)
    1/2 teasp ground thyme
    1 teasp salt
    1/4 teasp fresh ground pepper
    1/4 teasp ground nutmeg
    4 TBS tomato purée or tomate frito (can also be condensed tomato soup) for mixture
    plus 2 TBS more for sauce
    1/2 cup finely grated carrot
    1/2 cup finely chopped or grated celery
    1 cup low sodium chicken or veg broth
    olive oil for cooking

1. Mix the meat with the beaten egg, onion, seasonings, bread and almond crumbs, grated carrot and celery, 4 TBS tomato purée.
    Mix well together with hands.

2. Divide mixture into 8 portions and form with hands into 8 equal patties.

3. Heat about 2 TBS oil in large non-stick frying pan and when hot, add four of the patties, cook about 4 minutes then turn them over.
    Turn down heat to low, spoon 2 TBS of the tomato purée on top of the 4 patties, add half the broth to the pan plus one TBS of remaining tomato purée, stir liquid, put on lid and simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove patties to heated dish and spoon over remaining sauce.

4. Wipe pan and repeat step 3 for last 4 patties or freeze them for another day.

Source: Adaptation of one of my favourite old recipes.

SharonCb

• danain
    16 years ago

Sharon, that looks good!

I love this one. It's so simple but so full of flavor:

Hobo Chicken (The flavors in this are incredible and the chicken is moist and tender.)

{{!gwi}}

1 1/2 pounds ground chicken (or turkey) breast
    5 Ritz crackers; crushed
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Fresh ground pepper to taste
    2 cloves garlic; crushed or chopped
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 large egg yolk
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 large red or yellow potato sliced thin, unpeeled
    1 large onion sliced thin
    2 large carrots peeled and sliced
    herbs such as rosemary, thyme, parsley
    2 slices bacon, cut in half

Pre-heat oven to 350°. In a large bowl combine ground chicken, crackers crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne, egg yolk, chicken broth and parmesan cheese. Shape into 4 patties and place each on a piece of aluminum foil big enough to cover and close into individual packages or use individual size casserole dishes.

On top of each patty, place potato slices, onion slices, carrots, sprinkle with herbs and lay half piece of bacon over top. Seal foil tightly and place pouches on a baking sheet. If using individual casserole dishes, cover tightly with foil. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Open pouches enough to expose bacon and broil just long enough to brown the bacon; 2 to 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve. *This is also good with fresh green beans add to pouches.

For a beautiful presentation, prepare in individual casserole dishes and wrap dish in foil.

Marilyn

• shaun
    16 years ago

I always have turkey patties made up in my freezer. This is how I season them:

1 lb ground turkey
    1/2 cup La Mexicana Salsa (mild)
    2 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
    Black Pepper, Oregano

Mix all and shape into patties. I use my George Foreman grill to cook them. Total of 6 minutes. 3 on one side, flip and 3 on the other.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

I'm at the cottage and don't have access to my recipes but if SharonCB checks back perhaps she will post her K....Klopse meatball recipe. I have made it with ground turkey and ground chicken. It was wonderful, very different.

Oh here I did a search and it came up in this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: K...Klopse meatballs

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I season my turkey (ground breast is my preferance) but "regular mixed" works too.
    for each pound use...
    1/4 c grated/shredded Parmesan
    palmfull of fresh chopped chives
    lots of fresh cracked black pepper

Shape into patties or meatballs or loaf. Grill, saute or bake until just done..(DO NOT OVER COOK!)

Excellant with cucumbers, a lite dressing or just some sour cream or yogurt on a bun or in a pita..I love it grilled in patties, and then sliced into fingers cold from the fridge the next day as much as hot off the grill!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much! I've got several pages copied and ready now for the next turkey recipe emergency!

• ann_t
    16 years ago

This is one of the few ways that I use ground turkey or chicken.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

===============================
    Source: Patty

1 pound chicken or turkey
    2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/3 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    Fresh chopped Cilantro.
    Fresh Bean sprouts

Dipping sauce

Soy sauce
    Sesame Oil
    ginger,
    garlic
    Asian chili sauce

Combine chicken, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper in bowl.

Blend soy sauce into cornstarch in cup until smooth

cook meat mixture in skillet until no longer pink

Stir soy sauce mixture and add to meat mixture in skillet. Heat
    through until sauce boils and thickens. Add water chestnuts, onions and
    nuts.
    Can be Served warm or at room temperature in the hollow of romaine
    lettuce leaves.

Cilantro and Bean Sprouts.

Serve with sauce

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews