Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: T&T Potato Croquettes

eileenlaunonen
17 years ago

Can you share a delicious t&t i have never made these but I like too for Easter...TIA

Comments (3)

• lisbet
    16 years ago

Potato Croquettes, Baked
    Interesting, different, easy because they can be prepared ahead of time.

2 pounds potatoes
    2½ cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup milk, about
    1/3 cup butter or margarine
    pepper
    1¼ cup grated onion, optional
    1 cup fine, dry bread crumbs, buttered*
    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Start oven 10 minutes before baking; set to moderately hot (400°F.)

Wash potatoes, pare thinly and if large cut in half. Add water and salt, cover, boil gently until tender from 20 to 25 minutes. Only a tablespoon or two of water of water should remain on potatoes, no more. Put potatoes through food mill or ricer. Return potatoes to liquid in saucepan. Add butter and most of the milk; beat until light and fluffy, adding rest of milk, if needed. Potatoes for croquettes should be quite stiff and hold together well. Stir in pepper and onion. Cool to room temperature. Measure 1/3 cup portions onto waxed paper spread with the buttered crumbs. Shape croquettes into cones, roll in crumbs, then in egg mixture and again in crumbs. Grease circles on a cookie sheet or shallow pan for croquettes to stand on. Store in refrigerator. Abput 20 minutes before serving time place into oven and bake until golden and crusty, about 15 minutes. Serve on hot platter, garnish with parsley. About 9 croquettes.

Hint: Potato croquettes bake more satisfactorily than they fry and are more economical of shortening. Cold mashed potatoes may be used to make these croquettes.

*Buttering Bread Crumbs: Melt 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, or shallow saucepan. Add ½ cup sifted fresh dry bread crumbs and stir over moderate heat until crumbs are all coated and slightly toasted. (You'll probably need to increase this bread crumb recipe to accommodate breading all of the croquettes.)

Taken from: Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking. (© 1955) Volume I

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is a PANKO breadcrumb a better choice?

• lisbet
    16 years ago

I have not yet ever bought, nor tried panko bread crumbs, so don't really know what they are like. Maybe they would give a coarser and flavorful texture to the recipe? It's worth a try! Also I guess the recipe could be enhanced with any herbs or cheeses that you like. A cheese sauce to serve over the croquettes is also a possibility.