Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dccnm

RECIPE: ideas needed for roasted pork side dishes

dccnm
17 years ago

We're doing a last minute potluck Easter dinner at my house tomorrow. A few of our friends' plans changed at the last minute so we decided to get together. The main course is a pork loin (Hispanic influence) and I'm looking for sides.

There will be Caesar salad, green beans and I'm trying to decide if roasted vegies would be okay or too "winter" (although it's freezing here in CT this weekend!). Then I thought perhaps I should substitute asparagus for the green beans since it is a spring veggie at least.

Any ideas?

Dessert will be a flourless chocolate cake, fruit tart and something else I'm sure (we like desserts!).

I love impromtu events but then I still scramble for the perfect combination. Oh well!

Happy Easter!

Comments (6)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I would do asparagus instead of green beans...but then I like asparagus better...but it is Easter!
    How about roasted summer-ish veggies, like tomatoes, red and green peppers, onions, zuchinni, mushrooms and you could add the asparagus to that too. Don't think you need another veggie if you do that. But how about a fruit and greens salad? Like spinach and strawberries or Boston lettuce with pears, walnuts and blue cheese? or romaine with apple....and a simple vinaigrette with either.
    Potatoes? Rice? Pasta? How about a lovely risotto? Too much last minute stuff? Oven roasted potatoes?
    Ultimatly it's up to you!!
    Linda C

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I like fried apples with pork like these:
    Southern Fried Apples
    1/3c sugar
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 tsp salt
    4 large cooking apples
    5 T butter
    Combine sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Wash, core, and slice apples into 1/2" slices. Heat butter in a skillet. Add apple slices and half of sugar mixture. Cook for about 3 minutes. Stir and turn apples and add remaining sugar mixture. Cook until apples are almost transparent. Serve hot.
    RL`

• dccnm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great ideas! I'm going to do spinach with strawberries and I think I'll try those fried apples--sound yummy! I'm doing the asparagus rather than the string beans and small red potatoes with balsamic and shallot butter. Someone else is bringing appetizers. Desserts as above.

Any new ideas for the asparagus? I usually just serve them with lemon butter, or cook them on the grill (skewered) after marinating them in a soy and sesame based sauce. Not sure how that would do with the pork. (I don't eat meat so combos are a bit of stretch for me. It's been 30 years!).

• KatieC
    17 years ago

We just had roasted asparagus. I tossed it with minced garlic and olive oil...425F for 15 minutes or so...yum.

We like caramelized onions and apples with pork. It's a non-recipe...Caramelize some onions in butter and olive oil, add some sliced apples, drizzle with balsamic vinegar (I like white balsamic) and cook for a few minutes, until apples soften.

• BeverlyAL
    17 years ago

My favorite asparagus recipe:

Mustard-Dressed Asparagus

Cooking Light, April 1998

4 lbs asparagus (I used 1 bunch)
    2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 Tablespoon mustard seeds

Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Bring 4 qts water to a boil in an 8 qt stockpot. Add half of asparagus; cook 3 minutes. Remove asparagus from stockpot. Rinse with cold water; drain and pat dry. Repeat procedure with remaining asparagus.
    Combine the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mustard seeds; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add asparagus and mustard mixture, and cook 2 minutes of until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 8 servings

• lindac
    17 years ago

I often fry them!
    My biggest non stick sautee pan, skim the bottom with EVOO, add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and a good tablespoon of sesame seede....jeep just warm...short of HOT for 3 to 5 minutes....turn up the heat and sautee the asparagus until al dente remove to a serving platter and add some fresh lemon juice to the pan, swish and cook about 30 seconds and but the buttery oil with thes esame seeds overf the top.
    Linda C