Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

LOOKING for: Banana Flip Snack Cakes!

donnalovesblue
14 years ago

Well, this is a rather unusual post, but I thought I'd turn to you for an answer. Do any of you remember these banana flips??? Yellow cake, folded over like a taco and filled with lots of banana cream..they seem to be lost forever, at least in my area and I have been in severe withdrawal for a long time. When I googled it, I did come up with some info, but only one bakery still offering this...Nickles (I think), but you can't order on-line. I even have a friend who owns a grocery store and none of her vendors carry this.

Do any of you know where they could be found, and if they are available in your area, would anybody be willing to ship me some???!!! Yes, I'm nuts and have no idea why I love them so much, as I'm not much of a "store bought pre-packaged, tons of calories snack" sort of person, BUT, I don't care!!! Just wish I had one right now. Hope somebody out there can help. Many thanks.

Donna

Comments (50)

• momj47
    14 years ago

Here's a link to a recipe, and here's a link to a poem(?!).

I've never heard of them. Good luck.

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

There is also a recipe at Allrecipes.com, its about the same as above.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana flips

• ysop1016
    14 years ago

This thread got me searching and I found a recipe for a Banana Cream Crock Pot Upside Down cake. It called for Banana Cream Cook & Serve pudding. I went to Giant Eagle, Shop&Save and WalMart and none of them had it. Well,the cake is in the crockpot now with Coconut Cream Cook&Serve pudding.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The link for the recipe and the crock pot cake sound wonderful! Many thanks. When my company leaves on Sunday, I plan to make my own banana flips..let me re-phrase that...I will TRY! Will let you know how it turns out! BTW, I'd love that crock pot recipe and hope you'll share it.

Donna

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Donna - Banana Flips are made by Dolly Madison. You can contact them here.

• ysop1016
    14 years ago

Donna,
    The recipe can be found at recipes4cakes.com
    Type Banana Cream Crock Pot Upside Down Cake into the search box.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I see Dolly Madison products in every grocery and convenience store, but NOT the banana flips...bummer!

Donna

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The poem was a hoot..I loved it! Thanks again for the recipes. Looks like the only way we're ever gonna have one, is to make our own! This may be the only food product in history where the store bought is probably better than homemade! LOL!

Donna

• W_BERNATH_YAHOO_COM
    13 years ago

I TOO HAVE MISSED THE BANANA FLIP AND DECIDED TO LOOK FOR THEM.I FOUND THEM IN A SMALL STORE WHERE I LIVE IN MCKEESPORT PENNSYLVANIA.BUT THE RECIPES FOR THEM IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE SNACK CAKE.Nickels Backery sales the banana flips cooks.com has the recipes its great!!!!!!!

• cad_sei_cmu_edu
    12 years ago

Yes, we have the original Nicles Bakery banana flips here in Pittsburgh. If you really want some, I can pick them up and mail to you for what they cost me, plus the shipping cost.

• dlr1961_verizon_net
    12 years ago

I grew up with these snack cakes and it's true that you can find them in various parts of Pennsylvania from time-to-time, but it seems rare. I've been looking for a recipe as well given I grew up always wanting a banana cake on my birthday until I was introduced to these flips.

As for the recipes so far, the filling is definitely not a pudding...it's more like a banana flavored marshmallow fluff filling.

• rgsr_aol_com
    12 years ago

I found them at The Vermount Country store .com
    2 packages of 2 (large) for $19.95 plus $3.00 shipping.
    their phone number is 1-802-776-5730

• sunflower31
    12 years ago

donnalovesblue I found a web site where you can order banana flips. It is:
    sunrisegourmet.com/banana-flips.html and they have a number to call too:
    1-800-782-6736
    I was googleing banana flips when I came across your letter and then foynd this site and thuoght I would let you know, I have not try yhe flips yet so let me know how they taste.
    debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: that home site

• Teacookies
    12 years ago

Timing is everything, unfortunately mine is bad. I actually tripped across them at Vermont Country Store as the previous post said. But I waited too long and by the time I decided to order some they were sold out. I called to inquire and they said if enough people requested them they would put them in their next catalog. SO CALL and request. They were made to order and looked positively devine!

• bakerbear
    12 years ago

Did you ever find those banana flips? If not, I actually make them myself.

• Janey - formerly jane2
    12 years ago

The link to the poem that momj47 provided also had where Nickles shops can be found - in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
    I wonder why their customer service people were against ordering online?

• bigbro.51
    11 years ago

I know this is an old post, but if any are still interested, I loved those things too. I moved to Alabama in 1981 and they don't have them here. Todd Wilber has a how to make your own recipe today at
    ( http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.php ) for Twinkies.
    How hard would it be to make your own Banana Flips out of homemade Twinkies. Isn't the cake part basically the same? Here is a Youtube video of him making Twinkie clones
    ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yeyy4mQoes ).
    Just fill them with banana cream instead. If you want the taco look, bake them in a pancake shape, fold and fill. Here are other Youtube videos of Todd at work - Just copy and paste the links into your browser to view the pages.

• karenlong
    11 years ago

Hi Donna. Me too!! I miss them too. I did an Internet search to see if I could find some. I was sorry to hear that you can't even order them online. I hope some company starts making them again.

• squirrelteach
    8 years ago

I too loved these as a kid...........just found them again here in my area.............they sell out quickly................My husband and I went to purchase some the other day after I bought two for the first time since I was younger............They only had one left.............ha! Are you serious...........well I plan to go back this week when they get some more in.............Where are you located?

• bakerbear
    8 years ago

I closed my bakery this past Thanksgiving, but I still make the banana flips for people. If you'd like, I will make you some. I'm not sure how well they ship, as I live in north Ga. I make them like the old ones, @ 5-6 inches long, and also @ 4". Let me know.

• squirrelteach
    8 years ago

I shared that I found them here..............wanted to know where you are located............

• PRO
    asdf
    8 years ago

Guess what?? Wonder of wonders--I was doing a little shopping this morning and picked up a new product in the bakery section at Walmart--Banana Twinkies--and they taste almost exactly like Banana Flips-even the cream filling------so find a box of these and enjoy (if you can get over the lack of the correct shape--LOL) Banana Twinkies

• Dennis R Perry
    7 years ago

HOSTESS BANANA TWINKIES ARE THE SAME CAKE AND BANANA FILLING AS THE ORIGINAL BANANA FLIPS.

• Tamara Emerson
    6 years ago

The Hostess Twinkie banana cake is a fair substitute, but is not the same as the original banana flip.. There is how ever different companies who made them ..They were both good but one had a better filling more grainy & sweet.. still searching where to purchase on line since they can't be found in my area of Alabama..

• Donna Howard
    6 years ago

The Little Debbies Banana Twins taste just like the original banana flips...I too use to buy them all the time especially at convenient stores. I don't see them anymore either!

• Laura Simpson
    6 years ago

I have been looking for banana flips for a long time! Its a no go in Central Texas

• lcubed21458
    6 years ago

Anyone find them available to order online??

• dizebie
    5 years ago

I'm still looking - there is no equal substitute in Twinkies or any other snack cake.

• Danny Humphreys
    3 years ago

I wish I had

• Sheila Lovvorn
    3 years ago

Bh

• Danny Humphreys
    3 years ago

What's

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

Is this close?

Banana Cake Flyp2 bananas (mashed like your childhood dreams)
    1 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 stick butter
    3 Tbsp milk
    1 Tsp banana flavour
    1 Tsp vanilla flavour
    1 Tsp baking powder
    1 Tsp baking soda
    stingy pinch of salt

Banana Creme Filling:
    1 1/2 cup salted butter (12 Tbsp)
    3 cups powdered sugar
    4 Tbsp milk
    1 Tsp vanilla flavour
    1 Tsp Banana Flavour
    Pinch of salt

DirectionsPreheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 6 inch round pan with butter and lightly coat in flour Mash up two bananas to a sticky, syrupy consistency.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. The butter should (always) be at room temperature. The butter is watching you! Mash with bananas and add it to the other ingredients.

Mix in the eggs and flavourings. Beat it all together on a medium speed with a mixer. Scoop a small amount of batter and spread a 1/4 inch layer into the 6 inch pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan and invert it onto a sheet of wax paper. coax it out of the pan and fold. lather, rinse repeat.

Makes 7-8 Cake Tacos/flyps

• HU-511444675
    3 years ago

Can I still buy banana flip cakes anywhere?

• Sheila Lovvorn
    3 years ago

Does anybody know if u can order the Nickles banana flip cakes if so where would I order them from

• RaeAnn Landwehr
    3 years ago

Oh god I'm with ya...let me know what u

• HU-699015786
    3 years ago

My brother as a kid loved those cakes. I haven't seen them in years. But I really don't buy sweets.

• Pete Clark
    3 years ago

I liked them before the banana flavoring they tasted like twinkled I remember when they started putting the banana flavoring in them Ii learned to like them but not as good

• HU-590307177
    2 years ago

Can you get me some banana flips

• Tom Dabney
    2 years ago

Omg I was just thinking about those. They use to give them to us when I was in elementary School with a banana. So good.

• HU-61663542
    2 years ago

Since Hostess bought out Dolly Madison products in 2012, they would be the ones to bring them back. Feel free to write to them and request they bring back Banana Flips! consumeraffairs@hostessbrandsllc.com

• Connie Phillips
    2 years ago

I dont think tou can buy them anywhere . I loved them thing.

• msellan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Banana Flips were not made by Hostess or Dolly Madison. They were made by Nickles Bakery. Hostess and Dolly Madison had similar products but the ”Banana Flip” was made by Nickles. Sunrise Bakery produces them now. https://www.sunrisebakery.com/product/banana-flip/

• msellan
    2 years ago

I should also mention - the sunrisebakery version of them is not exactly like the original. It's tasty but the cake is more like angelfood cake and the filling is softer. If you really want something close to the original ones you'll probably have to make them yourself.

• Christopher Haynes
    2 years ago

I would love to eat them again they tasted so good. Does anyone know where I can get some???

• HU-362949727
    2 years ago

Little debbie has banana twins next best thing

• HU-581716055
    6 months ago

YES!!! They were my all time favorite snack cake ,and also my cousin's. The world is just not right without my Dolly Madison's Banana Flips!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz