Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Banana Flip Snack Cakes!

Posted by donnalovesblue (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 13:30

Well, this is a rather unusual post, but I thought I'd turn to you for an answer. Do any of you remember these banana flips??? Yellow cake, folded over like a taco and filled with lots of banana cream..they seem to be lost forever, at least in my area and I have been in severe withdrawal for a long time. When I googled it, I did come up with some info, but only one bakery still offering this...Nickles (I think), but you can't order on-line. I even have a friend who owns a grocery store and none of her vendors carry this.

Do any of you know where they could be found, and if they are available in your area, would anybody be willing to ship me some???!!! Yes, I'm nuts and have no idea why I love them so much, as I'm not much of a "store bought pre-packaged, tons of calories snack" sort of person, BUT, I don't care!!! Just wish I had one right now. Hope somebody out there can help. Many thanks.

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Banana Flip Snack Cakes!

Here's a link to a recipe, and here's a link to a poem(?!).

I've never heard of them. Good luck.

o

There is also a recipe at Allrecipes.com, its about the same as above.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana flips

o

This thread got me searching and I found a recipe for a Banana Cream Crock Pot Upside Down cake. It called for Banana Cream Cook & Serve pudding. I went to Giant Eagle, Shop&Save and WalMart and none of them had it. Well,the cake is in the crockpot now with Coconut Cream Cook&Serve pudding.

o

The link for the recipe and the crock pot cake sound wonderful! Many thanks. When my company leaves on Sunday, I plan to make my own banana flips..let me re-phrase that...I will TRY! Will let you know how it turns out! BTW, I'd love that crock pot recipe and hope you'll share it.

Donna

o

Donna - Banana Flips are made by Dolly Madison. You can contact them here.

o

Donna,
The recipe can be found at recipes4cakes.com
Type Banana Cream Crock Pot Upside Down Cake into the search box.

o

Thanks for the info. I see Dolly Madison products in every grocery and convenience store, but NOT the banana flips...bummer!

Donna

o

I've been mourning banana flips for years! Loved those buggers. The first two recipes look great, especially using the cooks recipe to make them into bars. The confectioners sugar might be best, but the directions for the cooks one putting the sugar into the milk to dissolve it might take care of the problem. The recipes are the same for the filling but the allrecipe recipe makes more filling. I think we'd need the more filling one. Smiles. Now I just have to get some banana extract, well and the pudding too. I'm gonna try these for sure.

Thanks for starting this search Donna. You may have done a bunch of us a big favor.

The crock pot cake looks fine but it's not anything to do with banana flips. Smiles.

Donna did you read the poem? LOL.. it was great. Thanks for finding those links MomJ. You too NoDakGal. Thanks.

o

The poem was a hoot..I loved it! Thanks again for the recipes. Looks like the only way we're ever gonna have one, is to make our own! This may be the only food product in history where the store bought is probably better than homemade! LOL!

Donna

o

I TOO HAVE MISSED THE BANANA FLIP AND DECIDED TO LOOK FOR THEM.I FOUND THEM IN A SMALL STORE WHERE I LIVE IN MCKEESPORT PENNSYLVANIA.BUT THE RECIPES FOR THEM IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE SNACK CAKE.Nickels Backery sales the banana flips cooks.com has the recipes its great!!!!!!!

o

Yes, we have the original Nicles Bakery banana flips here in Pittsburgh. If you really want some, I can pick them up and mail to you for what they cost me, plus the shipping cost.

o

I grew up with these snack cakes and it's true that you can find them in various parts of Pennsylvania from time-to-time, but it seems rare. I've been looking for a recipe as well given I grew up always wanting a banana cake on my birthday until I was introduced to these flips.

As for the recipes so far, the filling is definitely not a pudding...it's more like a banana flavored marshmallow fluff filling.

o

I found them at The Vermount Country store .com
2 packages of 2 (large) for $19.95 plus $3.00 shipping.
their phone number is 1-802-776-5730

o

donnalovesblue I found a web site where you can order banana flips. It is:
sunrisegourmet.com/banana-flips.html and they have a number to call too:
1-800-782-6736
I was googleing banana flips when I came across your letter and then foynd this site and thuoght I would let you know, I have not try yhe flips yet so let me know how they taste.
debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: that home site

o

Timing is everything, unfortunately mine is bad. I actually tripped across them at Vermont Country Store as the previous post said. But I waited too long and by the time I decided to order some they were sold out. I called to inquire and they said if enough people requested them they would put them in their next catalog. SO CALL and request. They were made to order and looked positively devine!

o

Did you ever find those banana flips? If not, I actually make them myself.

o

The link to the poem that momj47 provided also had where Nickles shops can be found - in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
I wonder why their customer service people were against ordering online?

o

I know this is an old post, but if any are still interested, I loved those things too. I moved to Alabama in 1981 and they don't have them here. Todd Wilber has a how to make your own recipe today at
( http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.php ) for Twinkies.
How hard would it be to make your own Banana Flips out of homemade Twinkies. Isn't the cake part basically the same? Here is a Youtube video of him making Twinkie clones
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yeyy4mQoes ).
Just fill them with banana cream instead. If you want the taco look, bake them in a pancake shape, fold and fill. Here are other Youtube videos of Todd at work - Just copy and paste the links into your browser to view the pages.

o

Hi Donna. Me too!! I miss them too. I did an Internet search to see if I could find some. I was sorry to hear that you can't even order them online. I hope some company starts making them again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here