Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: How much are vanilla beans where you are?

Posted by sayhellonow (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 13:12

I was shocked when I started to buy some vanilla beans last Saturday. They were $19. I only need one-half of a bean, so I decided to use vanilla extract instead. Then, yesterday (Sunday) I went to The World Market, which is new here. I found vanilla beans for $3.

I love the results of using vanilla beans in my baking, but there is no way in he!! I would pay $19 for them. How much are they where you live?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: How much are vanilla beans where you are?

Funny you should ask just this minute....I am cleaning out my spice cabinet....and discover I have 3 bottles of vanilla beans...2 marked $1.50 I know I bought when the grocery store built a new store and moved and sold lots and lots of stuff very cheap.
So I don't know how much they are usually.
But I have 6 (count 'em! SIX!!) bottles of pure vanilla extract, 3 little containers of saffron, 3 of Coleman's mustard, 3 kinds of Penzey's cinnamon and a jar of "ordinary cinnamon" to use when I want to scent some boiling water and apple skins for potpourri, 2 little containers of cream of tartar ( does it go bad?) a jar of meat tenderizer which I only use for insect stings....and a jar of colored sugar in every color known!!
Sorry....but I digress!!
Linda C

o

I don't buy them here. I order them. The price has zoomed in the last year or so. Can't remember the reason but something about a problem growing them so they're scarcer & so cost more.

o

Last time I ordered 1/4 pound of beans from this company on ebay. (They have a regular website also.) They're the best beans I've ever purchased, worlds better than what comes in jars at the store or from Penzeys and much cheaper in bulk. They're also so fresh and moist I can use less.

I divided the beans into packets of two or three then vacuum-sealed with my FoodSaver. So far they're keeping beautifully.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Bulk Vanilla Beans

o

"a jar of colored sugar in every color known!!" LindaC, you are sooo much like me here -- LOL. I dont' have the colored sugar, but I found 7 or 8 pkgs of plastic wrap and about the same number of plastic bags (or more) in the back of a closet recently. I remembered putting them there when I got them on sale and, apparently, went into Sr. Moments personified immiately afterward.

Carol, thanks so much for that site. Funny, I had never thought of looking on the Internet for vanilla beans. Silly me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here