Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Spreads

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

Anyone have a recipe for Roasted Garlic Mayo,Chipolte Spread etc for sandwiches Tia

Comments (7)

• angelaid
    16 years ago

Daisy posted this on another board. It was awesome!

GARLIC DILL MAYO

1 cup Hellmans' mayo
    2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced fine
    2 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons minced fresh dill (or to taste - I like lots)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    Yield: one cup

Great with fried, baked or grilled fish. Keeps for months in the fridge in a tightly closed container.

Great for low carb diets: there are 0 carbs in this.

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

My favorite spread combination isn't one you asked for, but it is what I think is delicious.

Boston Brown Bread cut in the rounds, and topped with a date nut spread. Dates that have been simmered with water or brandy and chopped into minced pieces, toasted nuts chopped into small pieces, cream cheese mixed with dark brown sugar and a touch of maple syrup.

My other favorite spread is either an eggplant baba ganoush or a roasted red pepper hummus. I like them on stale bagels that have been cut into thin rounds, then oven toasted with a light drizzle of olive oil. Then topped with a variety of chopped olives or chopped marinated artichokes.. or the olives in a tapenade on the bagels, or baguettes done the same way, and the roasted red pepper on it's own without the chick pea hummus.

My favorite dill spread is simple cream cheese, dill, cream to soften and that is it! Not even salt or pepper, just lots of fresh dill weed, not seeds, that has been coarsely chopped and added to the softened cream cheese. I could eat this with a spoon.

• annova914
    16 years ago

Mine is similar to the Garlic Dill Mayo above (I also use Hellman's). You can roast a head of garlic and use one clove in this recipe. Ann

Aioli

1 garlic clove
    2/3 cup regular or light mayo
    2 tsps fresh lemon juice (not bottled)
    some zest from the lemon
    ½ tsp dry mustard
    pinch or more of cayenne pepper

Blend in food processor and then taste for seasonings. (Cut the sweetness of the mayo with more dry mustard and lemon juice.) This is great on sandwiches or as a dip for steamed shrimp.

Can also add a bit of roasted red pepper or fresh basil leaves. I've also tried it with a bit of the adobo sauce from the can of chipotles (and a tiny bit of a chipotle...that stuff is hot!) and it was delicious.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonderful thank you!!!!!!!!

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

We've been addicted to Chipotle Mayonnaise lately - we like it with grilled artichokes or roasted garlic potatoes, but you could use it for a sandwich spread, too.

Becky

Chipotle Mayonnaise

1 cup mayonnaise (I use Best Foods)
    2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until needed.
    Yield: about 1 cup

• sayhellonow
    16 years ago

I posted this under eggplant recipes, but it makes a wonderful spread - especially for dark bread. It's so simple and really really tasty. If you bake the eggplants ahead of time it will take only a few minutes to make up, and it makes a *lot* of spread.

Russian Eggplant Caviar

Olive Oil to saute:
    2 onions, chopped
    2 bell peppers, chopped
    1 lg can Italian tomatoes, drained & chopped
    2 lg eggplants, roasted & chopped
    S&P to taste

In a large pot or skillet, saute the onions and peppers until tender.

Add the tomatoes and cook on low heat, stirring, 5 minutes.

Add the eggplant, salt & pepper.

Pulse mixture in batches until well desired consistency (I like it fairly lumpy, but it is great if a smoother consistency is used as a spread).

As you can see, this is very low calorie. It is even better the next day.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sayhello that looks good thanks!!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz