Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikanas2

RECIPE: Looking for: Mole

Tikanas2
18 years ago

A client gave me a 12 oz. container of homemade mole. I would like a few recipes, as I have never cooked with it. Any ideas?

Tia!

Tikanas

Comments (12)

• glenda_al
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I made Mole, last year, AND man it took a long time, but it was successful. Combined two recipes.

Baked chicken, added it to the mole, and served it over rice, with fresh pineapple on the side.

I'm not THE chef, as many ARE here, but I am adding my little bit.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Every time I see that word, I think of little digging creatures. Not the kind I'd care to eat. Sorry, can't help it. Can't help you with a recipe, either! Just having a mad day.

• compumom
    18 years ago

Daisy, it's pronounced mol-ay. Feel better now?

• lindac
    17 years ago

I do the chicken thing. Brown chicken pieces on a sautee pan, add mole and serve with rice.
    I also sometimes use it to marinate boneless breasts before grilling them......and have marinated a chuck steak and then grilled that...
    I love a good mole...but have occasionally had one that was just too chocolatey!
    Linda C

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't like a too-chocolatey mole either. This one is just PERFECT. It was a gift and I want to make the most of it. I will brown chicken pieces and serve with rice. Would you recommend a plain rice or would a saffron Mexican rice be a better choice in your opinion?

Also, I have never had Mole with beef. This mole is kinda thick for a marinade. Would you suggest that I heat it a bit to thin and THEN marinate the beef? Also, beef might lend itself to another type of rice dish altogether..... ideas?

Tikanas

• lindac
    17 years ago

I would not do anything to rice to serve with the mole chicken....too many assertive flavors are not good in my opinion.
    And if you have extra sauce....heat it and perhaps thin just a little with broth and be sure that after putting the meat on the grill, you cook the marinade ands erve with the beef.
    Linda C

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I totally agree about the rice/flavors. And I will thin the mole with a bit of broth and "erve it" with the beef ha ha! after grilling. The beef and mole thing is all new to me and I am looking forward to it. Thanks!

Tikanas : ) (you only tease those ya love!)

• lindac
    17 years ago

And you only feel comfortable not composing a message in word and running it through spell check with good friends....who don't mind that you can't type....and know what you mean anyhow.....
    I am soooo grateful for the computer and programs like word and publisher that allow me to put out a decent letter or report without OD-ing on White Out fumes!
    Linda C

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't care how you spell it or type it! I just love the help! Beef with mole goes on this weeks menu list.

((hugs))

Tikanas

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Here is a recipe from Rick Bayless for Poblano Mole. There are also recipes for Rich Red Mole, Green Pumkinseed Mole and a Simple Red Mole. If you want the others let me know.

Poblano Mole

The chiles:

16 medium (about 8 ounces) dried chiles mulatos
    5 medium (about 2 ounces) dried chiles anchos
    6 (about 2 ounces) dried chiles pasillas
    1 canned chile chipotle, seeded (optional)

The nuts, seeds, flavorings and thickeners:

1/4 cup sesame seeds
    ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
    1/4 cup lard or vegetable oil, plus a little more if needed
    A heaping 1/3 cup (2 ounces) unskinned almonds
    1/3 cup (about 2 ounces) raisins
    ½ medium onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 corn tortilla, stale or dried out
    2 slices firm white bread, stale or dried out
    1 ripe, large tomato, roasted or broiled cored and peeled

The spices:

2 ounces Mexican chocolate, roughly chopped
    10 black peppercorns (or a scant 1/4 teaspoon ground)
    4 cloves (or about 1/8 teaspoon ground)
    ½ teaspoon aniseed (or a generous ½ teaspoon ground
    1 inch cinnamon stick (or about 1 teaspoon ground)

To finish the dish:

1/4 cup lard or vegetable oil
    About 2 ½ quarts chicken broth
    Salt to taste
    About 1/4 cup sugar

1. The setup:
    As with any recipe calling for so many ingredients, half the battle is won by getting yourself properly set up. Organize the ingredients as follows, stem, seed and carefully devein the dried chiles, reserving 2 teaspoons of the seeds; tear the chiles into flat pieces. If using the chipotle, seed it and set aside. Make measured mounds of sesame seeds, coriander seeds, almonds, raisins and onion. Lay out the garlic, tortilla and bread. Place the tomato in a large bowl and break it up, then add the chopped chocolate to it. Pulverize the remaining spices, using a mortar or spice grinder, then add to the tomato and chocolate. Have the lard or oil and broth at ready access.

2. Toasting the seeds:
    In a medium skillet set over medium heat, dry-roast the chile, sesame and coriander seeds, one kind at a time, stirring each until it has lightly browned. Add to the tomato mixture.

3. Frying and reconstituting the chiles:
    Turn on the exhaust fan to suck up the pungent chile fumes. Measure 1/4 cup of the lard or oil into the skillet and, when hot, fry the chile pieces a few at a time for several seconds per side, until they develop a nut-brown color. Remove them to a large bowl, draining as much fat as possible back into the skillet. Cover the chiles with boiling water, weight with a plate to keep them submerged, soak at least 1 hour, then drain and add the chile chipotle.

4. Frying the almonds, raisins, onion and garlic.
    Heat the remaining 1/4 cup lard or oil in the skillet, add the almonds and stir frequently until browned through, about 4 minutes. Remove, draining well, and add to the tomato mixture. Fry the rains for a minute or so, stirring constantly as they puff and brown. Scoop out, draining well, and add to the tomato mixture. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring frequently, until well browned, 8 to 9 minutes. Press on them to rid them of fat, and remove to the mixing bowl with the tomato and other fried ingredients.

5. Frying the tortilla and bread.
    If needed, add a little more fat, then fry the tortilla until browned, break it up and add to the mixing bow. Lay the bread in the pan, quickly flip it over to coat both sides with fat, then brown it on both sides. Tear into large pieces and add to the tomato mixture.

6.Pureeing the mixture:
    Stir the mixture thoroughly and scoop 1/4 of it into a blender jar, along with ½ cup of the broth. Blend until very smooth, adding a little more liquid if the mixture wonÂt move through the blades. Strain through a medium-mesh sieve. Puree the 3 remaining batches, adding ½ cup broth to each one; strain.

7. Pureeing the chiles:
    Puree the drained chiles in 3 batches, adding about ½ cup of broth (plus a little more if needed to each one; strain through the same sieve into a separate bowl.

8. Frying and simmering the sauce:
    Pour off the excess fat from the kettle, leaving a light coating on the bottom. Return the heat for a minute, then add the chile puree and stir constantly until darkened and thick, about 5 minutes. Add the other bowlful of puree and stir several minutes longer, until the mixture thickens once again. Mix in 5 cups of broth, partially cover, reduce the heat ot medium-low and simmer gently 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, season with salt and sugar and, if the sauce is thicker than heavy cream, thin it with a little broth.

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow Marigene! That is SOME recipe! I am saving it, thank you!

In this case, I have homemade mole that a client made for me and just wanted the best way to use it : )

Thanks!

Tikanas

• lindac
    17 years ago

And now you know what a special gift it is!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz