Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally_grower

LOOKING for: A Dilly Bread Recipe

sally_grower
14 years ago

I recently had this at a friends house and have since tried to make it 2 times. The 1st time the dough was way too dry and this time (a different recipe)the dough was too wet. Should I be sifting the flour? Does anyone out there have a T&T recipe for Dilly Bread? Thanks for the help. Sally

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

This is the one I like:
    DILL BREAD (1 loaf or 24-30 rolls)
    1 pkg active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water (110-115°)
    2 TBL + 1/2 tsp sugar
    1 cup sour cream, room temperature
    1 beaten egg + 1 egg yolk
    1 TBL butter, softened
    1 green onion with top, chopped ine or 1 tsp onion flakes
    1 TBL dried dill seed
    1 TBL dried dill weed
    1 tsp salt
    2 3/4 cup bread flour or as needed

In a large bowl sprinkle the yeast over the warm water & stir in 1/2 tsp sugar. Let stand until foamy. Stir in the sour cream, egg, butter, green onion, 2 TBL sugar, the dill seed, dill weed, salt & 1 cup flour. Beat with a wooden spoon or mixer until well blended. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as possible with a spoon, then turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead in enough flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Continue kneading until the dough is smooth & elastic, about 8 minutes (less if using a dough hook & a Kitchenaid). Place in a greased bowl; turn the dough to coat with oil. Cover with a towel & let rise until doubled, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough.
    For a braid: divide the dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into an 18" rope & braid the 3 pieces together. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cover & let rise until doubled.
    For rolls: turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface & roll to 1 1/2: thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover & let rise until doubled, 30-60 minutes.
    Beat the yolk with 2 TBL water. Brush on rolls or loaf. Bake in a preheated 350° oven, 25 minutes for the loaf & 15-20 minutes for rolls.~~Even More Special

• shambo
    14 years ago

Ginger, that recipe looks really good. I really love dill bread. Last time I asked about using cottage cheese up and tried a cottage cheese/dill bread machine recipe with the horseradish addition from your recipe. I always have sour cream on hand, so this recipe will be great. I like the idea of rolls or buns too. It's hard for the two of us to get through an entire loaf of bread before it starts to stale. But I can freeze the rolls or buns and then just warm up what we need for sandwiches or dinner.

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ginger, I'll give it a try. I have to tell you I've been a little concerned...I haven't seen you on here in a while, in fact I just told my hubby about 5 minutes ago that you were MIA. Glad you're still here and hope everything is good with you. Thanks again Sally

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

Thanks, Sally & Shambo. Hope you like this recipe.

• lindac
    14 years ago

This is the one I have made.....came from a Pillsbury Bake Off cook book about a thousand years ago. It's really really easy and really really good.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Dilly bread

• sally_grower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Linda, I've copied both of these and will give them a try. I appreciate the help. Sally

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia