Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: sharing new ways with spices

Posted by linda_intennessee (lindatn37932@comcast.net) on
Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 12:02

unsual spices and flavors. I would love for you to share some of your favorites. i am sharing one that i found.....

Asparagus in Lemon-Marjoram Cream

Total: 15 mins

Active: 15 mins

Makes: 3 to 4 servings

Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
by Aliza Green

A classic way to serve asparagus. The herbs, lemon, and cream sauce sing of springtime.

* 1 pound trimmed asparagus
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons chopped marjoram leaves
* Juice of 2 lemons
* Grated zest of 1 lemon

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Cook asparagus in plenty of boiling salted water for 3 minutes, or until brightly colored. Drain and immediately rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking and set the color.
2. In a small saucepan, simmer heavy cream over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until thickened. Transfer to a skillet and toss with asparagus, marjoram, lemon juice, and zest. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to reheat the asparagus. Serve immediately.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: sharing new ways with spices

One of my favorite spices is turmeric. It's bright and happy and supposedly has anti-inflammatory properties. I like to add about one teaspoon to a quart of freshly made ginger lemonade. I will also throw in a couple cloves and sticks of cinnamon for added spice.

o

From SL years ago:
Masala Vegetable Medley
1 bunch broccoli,cut into flowerettes
1 small yellow squash,sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 sweet red pepper, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2T basil flavored or plain, olive oil
2T lemon juice
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 # fresh snow peas, trimmed

Cook first 5 ingredients in oil in a Dutch oven over med high heat for 2 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in lemon juice and remaining ingredients. Cover, reduce heat and cook 5-8 minutes until veggies are tender.
12 servings.

My favorite way to use marjoram:

Chicken Marinade

1/4c lite soy sauce
3T Burgundy wine
3T light olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp marjoram, crushed
tsp pepper
Combine and marinate chicken for several hours before cooking.
RL`

o

Hi, Linda, haven't seen you in a while!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here