Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

LOOKING for: Finger foods for Holocaust Remembrance service

chery2
15 years ago

Our church is to be the site for this service next Sunday p.m. [4:00]. I know to avoid pork, and we are a "no-nut zone." Any ideas? TIA, chery2

Comments (6)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Chicken....little chicken sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches cucumber sandwiches and trays of crudites and "finger fruit"...grapes, strawberries and perhaps pineapple on tooth picke and watermelon chunks on tooth picke.
    Linda c

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

I wonder if it would be possible to duplicate some of the "gruel" that the prisoners had to eat in the concentration camps, just sort of as a grim reminder? I remember reading about it, but cannot remember what it was - only that it was tasteless and it was the only thing they had to eat, sometimes along with a small amount of bread. I wouldn't be offended by something like this, but admittedly I don't know how this would be perceived by the congregation. I believe I would appreciate knowing what it was like. It's just an idea, of course.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

SMOKED SALMON CANAPES (makes 24)
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp grated onion
    Several grinds of black pepper
    Four 7" flour tortillas
    1 TBL + 1 tsp capers
    1/2 lb smoked salmon, thinly sliced
    Fresh dill for garnish

Combine cream cheese w/lemon juice, onion & pepper. spread cream cheese mixture evenly over tortillas. Sprinkle evenly w/capers. Add a layer of smoked salmon to each. Roll each tortilla jellyroll fashion. Slice each roll into 6 pinwheels & serve immediately or chill & slice into pinwheels at serving time. Top each pinwheel with a sprig of dill.~~Food for Thought

ROAST BEEF ROLL-UPS
    1/2 lb rare roast beef, thinly sliced
    1/2 an 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 TBL Worcestershire sauce

In a mixing bowl, combine cheese & Worcestershire sauce. (You might want to add more Worcestershire). Spread this mixture evenly over slices of raost beef. Roll slices up & hold in place with a toothpick. Cut into 3" lengths. Serve at room temperature.~~Kitchen Miracles

CHEDDAR PENNIES
    4 TBL butter
    1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
    1/3 cup flour
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch cayenne pepper

With a mixer, cream the butter until soft. Stir in cheese, flour, salt & cayenne. Gather to form a dough. Transfer to alightly floured surface. Shape into a cylinder about 1 1/4" in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper & chill 1-2 hours. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 baking sheets. Cut the dough into 1/4" slices & place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake about 15 minutes until golden (watch carefully so they don't burn.) Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.~~Kitchen Miracles

CHEESE TRUFFLES
    3 sticks butter
    1 cup grated Gouda, Edam, Swiss or Cheddar (or a combo)
    Pinch of pepper
    3-7 dashes of Tabasco
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    6 slices stale pupmernickel, made into very fine crumbs

Combine all ingredients except crumbs. Mix until very smooth. Shape into 1" balls & roll in breadcrumbs. Refrigerate covered for at least 1 hour or overnight before serving.~~A Taste of New England

MARINATED MUSHROOMS (serves 20)
    1 1/2 lbs small mushrooms
    1 1/2 cups white or wine vinegar
    1 cup Italian dressing
    1 tsp dried oregano

Wipe & trim the mushrooms. In a nonaluminum saucepan, combine the vinegar & 1 1/2 cups water; heat to boiling. Add the mushrooms & boil 2 minutes. Drain; reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Cool the mushrooms for 1 hour. Mix the 1 1/2 cups of reserved cooking liquid with the Italian dressing & oregano. Pour over the cooked mushrooms. They can be eaten immediately but the flavor gets better after 12 hours. Can be kept for 7-10 days.~~Treat Yourself to the Best

• chery2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the recipes, I'm going to try some of them for MY family.
    Sayhello, I really think the service is mis-named. Those attending don't want to be reminded of the horrors; they only want to remember the ones who suffered. Last year, two young members of the congregation did a dialogue b/t "Anne Frank" and a boy, maybe "Peter." There was not a dry eye in the house. How so many lives were cut short -- and for what? Maybe remembering will keep us from allowing the same outrage to happen again.
    chery2

• woodie
    15 years ago

Roselin's mozzarella cubes on toothpics would be nice!

Roselin's Marinated Mozzarella

1 lb fresh domestic mozzarella
    1/2 c olive oil (I use the lite)
    2 large cloves garlic, pressed
    10 coarse grinds black pepper
    2/3 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp salt- less if using
    4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced - optional

Drain cheese of all brine. Cut in cubes. Whisk together all remaining ingredients. Toss with cheese.
    Yield: about 4 cups
    RL`

Tomato Bruschetta on small crisp toasts is usually very popular - there are lots of jarred versions if you don't feel like making your own.

Posted by fearlessem (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 12:49
    My all time favorite appetizer is so ridiculously easy it is embarassing... Take mushrooms, remove stems, fill with room temp Boursin / Alouette herbed cheese, place on a tray covered in foil that has been sprayed with cooking oil... Spray mushrooms lightly with oil, and bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes until soft and cheese is brown on top... They are divine!!
    Emily

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

It sounds like a wonderful service, Chery. We forget how lucky we are sometimes.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts