Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodie2

RECIPE: Yummy Yogurt Marinated Chicken

woodie
17 years ago

Last week (during the Recipe Exchange and Cooking Forum blackout :-) I tried this recipe that I've had saved for years! It was delicious and I thought I'd share it. I copied the recipe here exactly as written - I'll just mention that I cooked it in my stovetop grill pan and I used fresh ginger - I don't care for ground ginger except in gingerbread! Between the mincing the garlic and the fresh ginger and the lemon, the house smelled so good even while the chicken was in the fridge marinating.

YUMMY YOGURT MARINATED CHICKEN

Recipezaar #30724

posted by leeannr 6/10/2002

(5 reviews) Overall Recipe Rank: 33

This is really good, and really easy. The yogurt mixture really sticks to

the chicken and makes it tasty and tender. Keep in mind it has to marinate

for at least 8 hours.

8 hours 25 minutes (8 hrs prep, 25 min cooking)

4-6 servings

1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt

3 cloves minced garlic

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon canola oil

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon chili powder

3/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

4 to 6 boneless chicken breasts

1 Combine first nine ingredients,and pour into a large ziploc bag.

2 Add the chicken to the bag, seal, and turn bag to coat chicken

with mixture.

3 Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

4 I think overnight is best.

5 You can grill over indirect medium heat until done.

6 But I used my Showtime Rotisserie.

7 If you have one, (and if you don't, they're very cool), use the

flat basket and cook for about 25 minutes.

Comments (10)

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

Oooh, thanks Woodie - this sounds delish!
    Emily

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Recipes like this are the only way I'll eat yogurt but it does make a wonderful ingredient for lots of things. I'll save this one. Thanks!

• woodie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Ginger, with the gazillions of recipes out there, you don't need to save one that has yogurt in it if you don't want to, LOL. Save the computer space for one with heavy cream :-)

I used Greek yogurt cause its all I had. If you ever decide to try to eat yogurt again, try the Greek style. Its very rich and kind of like creme fraiche which is almost like whipped cream, right? I think its delicious.

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

One can never have too many chicken recipes in their arsenal....this sounds like a winner to me. Thanks Woodie!

Nancy

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I like to cook with yogurt & thought I would love yogurt to eat but it tastes like rancid sour cream to me. I've heard of Greek yogurt & will try it when I go to London. I don't think I've seen it down here.

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

I'm with you ginger -- I like to cook with it, but even the smell of it as I am about to put it in something I'm cooking often makes me gag... It can be such a healthy treat, I really wish I liked it straight up.

• shambo
    17 years ago

Just to throw in my two cents regarding yogurt... I'm Greek, and my family always served plain, unsweetened yogurt on the side, as a condiment, for spicy & tomato-ey dishes. Similar to the use of raita sauces in Indian cuisine. When Yoplait came out with sweetened, fruit flavored yogurts, I couldn't stand them. To me, yogurt always went with savory dishes. After all these years, I still don't care for the sweet & fruity yogurts.

I agree with Woodie that Greek yogurt is easier on get down. And I've also come to the conclusion that full-fat yogurt tastes bests. The non-fat or lower fat versions seem way too sour to me. This chicken recipe sounds really good. I'm going to have to try it soon.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I'm glad I'm not alone. I really thought I would like it when yogurt became mainstream years ago because I love most anything dairy. I was really disappointed. Looking forward to trying the Greek kind. Good tips about using as a side like raita.

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

Hi all --

Made the yogurt marinated chicken tonight -- it marinated for about 9 hours... Quite tasty, despite the fact that DH slightly overcooked it on the grill... The ginger flavor really permeated the meat, and the lemon flavor was there as well... DH thought it would be good with a sauce that mirrored the flavors in the marinade, but I am at a loss for how to do this as a yogurt-hater!

Thanks again for posting it Woodie!

Emily

• woodie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Em, guess we should thank Leeann, wherever and whoever she is!

I am now addicted to Greek yogurt. I've been eating it every single day with fruit, with jello, with honey, straight up by itself, with chopped carrots and celery, with leftover steak and even on top of turkey chili that we had last week!