Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Roasting garlic

I canÂt find any directions for a garlic baker I got as a gift. ItÂs a ceramic dome much like a cheese dome. Bottom is glazed, top is not. Might have been on the box which was thrown out. It's pretty big: does it make sense to roast a lot and keep it? (somehow)

I can go by the picture as I remember it, and slice off the tops and drizzle with oil, but what temperature, for how long?

Can you bake anything else at the same time? Or expect that whatever that is will be infused with garlic? (Might be nice for some things, maybe not the muffins IÂm mixing up now :)

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• lindac
    15 years ago

someone gave me a garlic roaster once along with a garlic keeper....I tossed them both.
    My garlic sits in a basket with the onions, and I roast it in the pan with whatever else I am cooking....or on the grillw rapped in foil.
    For my money garlic roasters, garlic keepers ( those pottery things with the holes) and butter keepers, with the water underneath, and the "dip cooler" thing with the chamber underneath the dip dish where you keep water, are excess baggage.
    Why keep something in your cupboard for the one time you want to roast a head of garlic.....when another pan/dish will do as well.
    Re-gift it....I did!!
    But I do have one of those dip coolers and a little bottle designed to hold both olive oil and vinegar at the same time....Oh yes and a board with a hole designed to hold a wine bottle at an impossible angle....etc etc.
    As for your question....you can use it in the oven when you are baking other things without everything being imbued with garlic....but I wouldn't bake garlic in the same oven where I am baking a cake.
    Linda C

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

I have both the clay garlic cooker and clay garlic holder, and I love the way they look on my counter. I make roasted garlic all the time and use in on my bread rather than butter.

Here is a recipe that I use.

Roasted Garlic

Whole heads of garlic
    Olive oil
    Salt & Pepper
    Fresh herbs of your choice (You can use oregano, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, chives or you can used dried herbs, but reduce the amount that you use.)

Preheat over to 300°. Cut just the very top part of the garlic off. Place into a piece of foil or clay garlic cooker and drizzle the olive oil over it, add some salt and pepper and herbs and seal the foil tightly or put the cover back on the garlic cooker. Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes.

Remove and serve on crusty bread as a spread. Very good with Italian dishes. Add to mashed potatoes for extra flavor. Roasted garlic is good and good for you.

• jjaazzy
    15 years ago

You asked what temp and no one answered you, 350 for about an hour. You will know when it is done the head gets squishy and kinda dark.. I just throw my head of garlic in with whatever I am cooking and let it go. I have found it takes quite a while. What I do then is pull each clove off and squish out the inside. If I don't need the whole thing I just refrigerate till needed.

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

jjaazzy,

In my post above, I state that I bake my garlic at 300° for 40 to 45 minutes.

And that is if I'm just roasting garlic alone just to use in place of butter. Often I throw a whole bulb in whatever meat or vegetable that I am cooking.