Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: orange sherbet from norge fridge cookbook

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 11:01

Whew! After a morning of formatting and re-formatting the layout of the NORGE COLD COOKERY and RECIPE DIGEST [No year given, but pictures of ringer washers and boasts of the Norge "Rollator," which consists of "three simple moving parts -- a roller, shaft and blade, which are sealed in a bath of oil" promise to "make you healthier, wealthier, and happier" would date it back to at least the '50s, wouldn't you say?]
I get impatient with recipies for ice cream that end with something like, "Follow ice-cream maker manufacturer's instructions" for time and consistency, when I don't HAVE an ice-cream maker. (Same is true w/ a recipe called "Dill Biscuits" whose first ingredient is a roll of 10 refrigerator biscuits!)

PINEAPPLE SHERBET
The following sherbet requires one or two stirrings
to give it a fine, even texture. However, the home manager
may prefer the extra work rather than pay the price
of whipping cream. (Don't you love it?!)
Combine pineapple (juice and pulp), orange juice, rind, and sugar.
Stir until the sugar is entirely dissolved.
Add the evaporated milk and salt.
Pour into a tray and freeze in the Norge Refrigerator.
When partially frozen, remove from the tray and stir thoroughly.
(Serves 6.)

1 CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE

CUP ORANGE JUICE
1 t. GRATED ORANGE RIND

1/4 CUP POWDERED SUGAR

1 TALL CAN EVAPORATED MILK (What's a "tall can" of EM?)

1/8 TEASPOON. SALT

The little book also offers recipes for Sandwiches and Spreads, Tasty Meat Dishes, Sunday Night Suppers, Salads, Salad Dressings, Desserts, Ice Cream and Ices, Cookies, Cakes, and Refrigerator Rolls.

If anyone's craving an old recipe from one of those categories, let me know, and I'll try to format it for you.

chery2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: orange sherbet from norge fridge cookbook

Norge...likely from the 60's...early 60's..
And I will tell you that if you make icecream with what my mother used to call "vappy" it will taste like "vappy"...EWWW...Pop for the cream!!
Evaporated milk comes in 2 sizes...a tall can...think it holds about 12 oz, and a short can which holds 1/2 that.
Way back when, lots of people used "vappy" in their coffee and tea....even restraunts ( at least on the east coast) even offered a choice of evaporated milk or cream with your coffee. Growing up there was always a short can of "vappy" with 2 holes punched into the top, sitting in the refrigerator, because one of my grand mothers who lived with us preferred it....EWWW!!
Linda C

o
RE: RECIPE: orange sherbet from norge fridge cookbook

My aunt used to make orange sherbert in the ice cube trays from the little, bitty freezer in the refrigerator. I used to love the stuff. And Norge refrigerators went back at least to the early 50's. Don't know about earlier than that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here